I rarely exercise. Is 1000cals suitable?

Options
hey everyone, I'm kinda new to this. it's not a very good excuse but because of my demanding studies right now I'm unable to find much time to exercise, maybe 2 hours a week. this is only temporary. do you think 1000 calories a day is a suitable amount to consume?

Replies

• jakegold
    jakegold Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's 90% about diet even if you don't exercise. I would start higher at 1400 then after a week or so you can start to go down to 1200 or whatever. Don't want to burn yourself out!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Most likely not.

What is your current age, height & weight?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No.

Fill out your MFP profile properly and set it to lose 1/2 pound per week. Eat all of those calories. If you exercise, log the calories and eat 50% of them. Reevaluate after a month to see how you're doing and then adjust your calories up/down from there.
  • emilyjane1605
    emilyjane1605 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    18 years old .........unless you are 3'6".....nope, not enough calories

1200 is MFP's lowest default minimum before exercise. The default makes it one-size-fits-all....if a 6' tall woman sets her weekly weight loss goal high enough....MFP bottoms out at 1,200. But, that doesn't make 1200 appropriate. 1200 is based upon nutrition values.

Find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)....subtract 500 calories for 1 pound a week (at most).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

• angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

1200 is MFP's lowest default minimum before exercise. The default makes it one-size-fits-all....if a 6' tall woman sets her weekly weight loss goal high enough....MFP bottoms out at 1,200. But, that doesn't make 1200 appropriate. 1200 is based upon nutrition values.

Find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)....subtract 500 calories for 1 pound a week (at most).

why are you limiting weight loss to 1 pound a week. curious?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

At the risk of putting words into the person you quoted's mouth...

I'd guess because going off OP's profile pic, it doesn't appear she has much (if any) weight to lose.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Unless she has more than 50 pounds to lose, >1 lb a week would be too aggressive and could contribute to loss of lean mass.

• learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    When I was 19, 5'2 and 115lbs I had to up my calories to 1400 to LoSE the last 5 lbs, PlUS eat back my exercise calories.
    So unless you're under 4ft definitely not.
  • angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks for answering :)@kkenseth and @ceoverturf
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    No. Protect your muscles :)