The truth about calories tv series

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    hac125 wrote: »
    Oh bloody hell. "A morning of light housework consumed just as many calories as one involving a strenuous workout, the show reveals".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-301103/The-real-truth-calories-counting-making-FATTER.html

oh dear... :confounded:

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nhyt8
    Chris's ultimate goal is to find out how we can cut our calories but keep eating our favourite treats. He discovers some kitchen secrets to strip 360 calories out of a luxury meal of steak, chips and cream pudding without changing a single ingredient.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There's a BBC documentary entitled "The Truth About Calories New BBC Documentary 2015". It's available to view on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsxyMFTK0Ac). Maybe it's the same show.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    Lol I actually have seen it.
    It is a BBC production.
    Had some interesting parts, I say watch it.

My curiosity will get the better of me..

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Chris's ultimate goal is to find out how we can cut our calories but keep eating our favourite treats. He discovers some kitchen secrets to strip 360 calories out of a luxury meal of steak, chips and cream pudding without changing a single ingredient.

Is the answer "making the portion smaller."?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Glancing over the article I don't see too much that is out of line. They don't seem to dispute CICO they are just saying if you eat calorie dense food you are going to be hungry and probably eat more than your allotted calorie limit.

They are saying you don't need to count calories but at the same time saying you do.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Is the answer "making the portion smaller."?

lol I shall let you know :lol:

• EricaN81
    EricaN81 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    what channel and time is it?

I'm in Australia. It's channel 9 at 8:40pm.

From the adds I've seen it looks like a bunch of scientists in Lab conditions.

I'm in Australia too, I'm going to watch it for plain curiosity and perhaps a bit of a laugh :-)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    EricaN81 wrote: »
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    what channel and time is it?

I'm in Australia. It's channel 9 at 8:40pm.

From the adds I've seen it looks like a bunch of scientists in Lab conditions.

I'm in Australia too, I'm going to watch it for plain curiosity and perhaps a bit of a laugh :-)

yeah same same. Might even learn something.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Treat it like ancient aliens.

Watch it and think, that's a good point except for all the science that disproves what your saying.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Treat it like ancient aliens.

Watch it and think, that's a good point except for all the science that disproves what your saying.

Haha noice ;)

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just want to know why calories have been lying to us all this time.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I watched the show on YouTube. Though Christine you never actually did confirm if the show everyone was linking/describing was in the one your OP.

I like the part where just by being mindful, he was able to finish the day eating 3500 calories even though his TDEE was 3400. Pretty freakin close! Well, if I looked like him and had a 3400 TDEE, I probably wouldn't count calories either!

This was a really good show though. I almost feel like they needed to dress it up as something it wasn't just to attract viewers.

Thing about the light house work calorie burners - I'll barely break out the vacuum once a month. Cleaning to burn calories is all nice and good, but you probably wouldn't do it all morning every single day unless it was part of your job or some such, no?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    What was the truth about calories, then? That they should be delicious?
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    rebeccamorgan58152 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Thing about the light house work calorie burners - I'll barely break out the vacuum once a month. Cleaning to burn calories is all nice and good, but you probably wouldn't do it all morning every single day unless it was part of your job or some such, no?
    I dunno, two small kids and I'm doing housework, washing clothes and vacuuming from 9:30 to 11:30 every. single. day. I should be super thin. Still need to lose 25 pounds or so, though.

• Christine_72
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I watched the show on YouTube. Though Christine you never actually did confirm if the show everyone was linking/describing was in the one your OP.

I like the part where just by being mindful, he was able to finish the day eating 3500 calories even though his TDEE was 3400. Pretty freakin close! Well, if I looked like him and had a 3400 TDEE, I probably wouldn't count calories either!

This was a really good show though. I almost feel like they needed to dress it up as something it wasn't just to attract viewers.

yes it was the same show as has been linked.

Next weeks episode is "The truth about SUGAR" bum bum :worried:

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I was watching Bondi Rescue on my laptop and imagining that it was summer and I was burning calories playing in the sea.

Imaginary calories count, right?

I feel like it was a much better use of my night :)
  • EvangeliaKostakis
    EvangeliaKostakis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    so who watched it last night in Oz. I thought it was quite interesting
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yeah its part of BBC documentary series that aired here in the UK a few months ago. I actually posted about it at the time if I remember correctly. The series info is on the BBC website but I found the advise in some of them to be quite contradictory at times! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nhyt8