Water?

Options
Talk to me about water and its place in weight loss. I've gotten a lot of conflicting info, everything from "drink 2 liters a day" to "don't drink water unless you're thirsty, it will destroy your thirst mechanism" to "if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated".

Anyone know what is actually right?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Bree-Urine-color-chart.jpg
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    It's water. I'm pretty sure that, save extreme circumstances, you can drink as much as you like/feel.

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You'll likely get more conflicting info here, but *I* drink a gallon-ish (+more with intense exercise) a day and recommend that.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I just drink as much or as little as I like.

While at work I normally get through 2-4 glasses.

I think going off pee colour seems best. If it's dark then drink more to be safe.

Drinking x number of litres just seems like a recipe to peeing every 30 mins
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    thirst mechanism?
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty! Or frisky.
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think a safe rule is to drink half your body weight in ozs each day. Your urine should be light yellow to clear. If not, drink more.

Also, a lot of times I think I'm hungry, drink a glass of water instead and find out I was just thirsty. The cues can feel similar.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I go by urine color. It's really the best way to go.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    slowrollem wrote: »
    Your urine should be light yellow to clear.

Isn't clear just as bad as dark yellow? Clear meaning over hydrated and possibly stripping salts etc leading to cramps etc
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree w the thirsty when u think your hungry comment. The longer I have been drinking water the more I seem to know when my body needs it. I feel dry and rough if that makes sense. Dry mouth dry skin and I almost instantly feel better after drinking water. I think everyone has there own limits on water but hydration is super important in weight loss.... Your body is made of mostly water for a reason:) good luck to you:)
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    thirst mechanism?

Yeah, because our bodies will forget they need water to live ;-)
  • richardbaechle
    richardbaechle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Drink water, the amount you would need to drink to hyper hydrate is ALOT. Its possible to do but you will feel bloated way before that point. Go by that chart previously posted its a good indicator. Also if you feel hungry at an off time drink a glass of water first, you may just be dehydrated.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    I live in the desert. I drink over 1.5 gallons of water per day. Like the person said above me, I try to keep my piss at a light yellow to clear. Since my intake of sodium is extremely high (4000-6000 mg per day), I am not really in danger of losing sodium through urination.

Out here, strong yellow pee can indicate dehydration, and dehydration quickly turns into heat stroke.

In my experience, I like to urinate once per hour, and if I don't, I better be sweatin my a** off. Soon as I stop sweating, I know I am dehydrated, and I should chug water immediately. So drinking water is extremely relative. There is no set, one size fits all standard. There are too many variables. For instance, I need more water than most, all things being equal, because I eat a high fat diet; less of my food contains water.

In terms of what you "need," it all depends. I NEED 1.5 gallons each day (4.6 L) or I am dehydrated.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    By the way...water is a good facilitator for weight loss, I am finding. On days I drink more than enough, I tend to drop pounds. On days I don't drink enough, I tend to gain a bit. My hypothesis is that if I don't drink enough, my body holds on to what water is in the food I eat. Therefore, by drinking enough water, it makes it easier to process nutrients from the food. The neurons love it! :smiley:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Drink water, the amount you would need to drink to hyper hydrate is ALOT. Its possible to do but you will feel bloated way before that point. Go by that chart previously posted its a good indicator. Also if you feel hungry at an off time drink a glass of water first, you may just be dehydrated.

True. Anyone else remember the moron who drank way too much water in a short period of time to win tickets or something?? And the electrolyte balance was so off from the ridiculous amount of water he comsumed and his heart stopped, they could not get him back
  • richardbaechle
    richardbaechle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Scary thing is hyper hydration shows the same symptoms as dehydration, headaches, nausea, vomiting. It can be misdiagnosed very easily just remember you MUST EAT don't just drink water.