"Fussy eaters"

Options
This is one of my biggest set backs because I have no idea to deal with this.
I was that child that would not eat their vegetables, my grandma used to MAKE me eat cabbage and I smoothered it in tomato sauce so I couldn't taste it, haha, disgusting I know. Anyway, I'm still that adult, I mean I like potato, most types of beans/peas & beetroot and that's about it. I only like 5/6 fruits, No salad, I don't eat pork, I HATE eggs, etc you get the idea.

Any who, Are there any other "fussy eaters"? Do you have any tips on how to work around this & get the nutrition and calories I need?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    kyky42 wrote: »
    This is one of my biggest set backs because I have no idea to deal with this.
    I was that child that would not eat their vegetables, my grandma used to MAKE me eat cabbage and I smoothered it in tomato sauce so I couldn't taste it, haha, disgusting I know. Anyway, I'm still that adult, I mean I like potato, most types of beans/peas & beetroot and that's about it. I only like 5/6 fruits, No salad, I don't eat pork, I HATE eggs, etc you get the idea.

Any who, Are there any other "fussy eaters"? Do you have any tips on how to work around this & get the nutrition and calories I need?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, some people are sensitive about texture and other issues.
    List what you do like to eat:
    1 potatoes
    2 beans
    3 peas
    4 beetroot
    5 chicken ?
    6 beef ?
    7 pizza ?
    8 rice?
    10 ?
    11 ?
    12?
    ?
  • Dadof3bbg40
    Dadof3bbg40 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love eating fussy
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You like beans. How about making a three bean salad. Minestrone soup might be a good choice. I have a recipe for black bean brownies and a caramel sauce made from sweet potatoes. If you would like these recipes, message me and I will send them to you. Will you eat yogurt? If it's available to you try Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt. Lot's of protein, no added sugar, and added vegetable fiber. No fat, no added sugar, 15g protein, and 6-7g fiber.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    im kind of a fussy eater myself.. especially veges.. there is less than 10 of veggies that i can actually stand..and all of em should be cooked first.. i dont like raw veges..
    So, in my case, i just eat the veges that i actually like.. i like to try diff recipes so that i never get bored of it.. & i love to try new veges that ive never had before.. why not.. there is a chance that i might like it.. :smiley:

if u dont like pork, then eat chicken or beef or etc.. u can still get the protein needed from them & those beans..

i know that im a picky eaters, therefore most of my meals is home cooked. Only u know what u like and what u dislike.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being a fussy eater. By not being fussy, I gained weight.
    Now I only eat what perfectly agrees with me. :)
    So instead of focusing on what I do not eat, I embrace the foods that I love. I believe the we all do our best when we work with what we have, whether it is food or anything else.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Have you tried all the veggies and tried making them different ways?

The way to expand your horizons is to do it, buy some new veggies and roast them. See what you think. Don't like roasted? Try steamed. Try adding them to a stew.

There are just so many ways to make veggies and they all taste a little bit (or a lot) different than other ways. You've seen this with corn I'm sure. Plain corn on the cob vs boiled or grilled. Frozen corn. Canned corn. Sweet cornbread. Creamed corn. Succotash. Many, many ways to use corn...and that's true for all the veggies.

If you want a healthy and well-balanced diet, you have to eat a variety of fruits and veggies. The only way to do that is to do it.

There are recipes in cookbooks and online. Get yourself a recipe, get the veggies, prepare them and eat them. Make up your own ways. If you like them in spaghetti sauce, do that.

I'm sure there are more you will like if you put some effort into finding and trying them. :)
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Keep trying the foods you don't like and have them prepared in different ways. Our tastes change often. How you prepare things also will change if you enjoy it or not. It could be texture, or flavouring that is turning you off.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine not loving roasted broccoli or brussel sprouts. I agree with commenters above- maybe you need to try the foods that you think you don't like prepared in different ways.
  • runemist34
    runemist34 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Definitely feeling you on the challenge. I have always been a picky eater, and NO ONE could "make" me eat food I didn't want to when I was a kid. Starvation, shame, and smothering-in-sauce never worked for me. It wasn't going in my mouth if I didn't want it!
    Currently, I'm pretty limited on what I eat, too, and quite wary about trying new foods- I've been burned before, and some old traumas still stick with me on that one.
    I would love to have new friends on MFP, and share our picky-eating challenges, and maybe help each other out! My current challenge is also getting enough out of my current diet to feed myself while running, dancing, working, and the like.
    I like eating simple foods, and don't like things that are too creamy (yogurt), or soft and crunchy (like pickles- though I like the taste of them!). I like meat and sugary food.
    Add me if you want to!!
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Have you tried all the veggies and tried making them different ways?

The way to expand your horizons is to do it, buy some new veggies and roast them. See what you think. Don't like roasted? Try steamed. Try adding them to a stew.

There are just so many ways to make veggies and they all taste a little bit (or a lot) different than other ways. You've seen this with corn I'm sure. Plain corn on the cob vs boiled or grilled. Frozen corn. Canned corn. Sweet cornbread. Creamed corn. Succotash. Many, many ways to use corn...and that's true for all the veggies.

If you want a healthy and well-balanced diet, you have to eat a variety of fruits and veggies. The only way to do that is to do it.

There are recipes in cookbooks and online. Get yourself a recipe, get the veggies, prepare them and eat them. Make up your own ways. If you like them in spaghetti sauce, do that.

I'm sure there are more you will like if you put some effort into finding and trying them. :)

I agree. I hated almost all veggies; as a kid I lived on hot dogs and mac n cheese. The problem was my mom mostly just boiled the veggies and never really used any seasoning besides salt. Bleh! Having them roasted, sauteed, baked, broiled with spices, fresh herbs, etc. makes all the difference.