unable to set a balanced diet

Hi this is Jitender.. you may call me Jitu..... :)

i recently found out about myfitness pal and started monitoring my calorie intake...

for me the goal set by the app is 1450 calories (net) per day.
today is the 5th day for me...
i have been keeping my calorie goal under check and i have been consuming less that the set goal...

the thing is today i was looking at different graphs provided by this app and saw that my:

fiber
protein
and iron

intake is either minimal or negligible...

can any of you suggest some foods that can take care of the calorie goal and still give me enough of fibre protein and iron?

i would be really grateful for any kind of help anyone can provide..
thanks in advance...

Replies

• misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    I'm not going to act like I'm an expert here, but I'd suggest maybe some seeds/nuts, fish (if you eat it), dark leafy greens e.t.c

However, I initially wanted to respond because - how are you adding your foods? Manually? Or are you choosing the selection from the search? I only ask because, make sure the foods you are entering have all the nutritional values in place. Sometimes people add foods and forget to put in things like Iron e.t.c so that it won't show up in your graph!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    You can do an internet search for any nutrient and get a list of food that are high in that. Eat more of those. Fiber: all fruits,veg,and whole grain; protein: meat, eggs; iron: iron-fortified cereal.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Spinach is jam packed with vitamins and is very low in calories. Go get a few 250g bags and sweat half of a bag for plenty of vitamins.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    most items in the food diary wont have a correct or in fact any entry for iron, so I wouldn't bother trying to measure it TBH
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    jitender88 wrote: »

i recently found out about myfitness pal and started monitoring my calorie intake...

i have been keeping my calorie goal under check and i have been consuming less that the set goal...

the thing is today i was looking at different graphs provided by this app and saw that my:

fiber
    protein
    and iron

can any of you suggest some foods that can take care of the calorie goal and still give me enough of fibre protein and iron?

thanks in advance...
    These are the two numbers that are important
    1 total calories for the day -- try to get up very close to it. Do not go over.
    2 total amount of protein for the day -- It is o.k. to go over.

Reduce some of the carbohydrates and fat in order to have room for protein:
    Protein includes these foods: beans, chick peas, lentils, eggs, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, soy milk, nuts, beef, chicken, pork, fish, chia seeds, flax seeds, sun flower seeds, broccoli, cauliflower, summer squash, kale, collards, spinach, bread, rice.
  • jitender88
    jitender88 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm not going to act like I'm an expert here, but I'd suggest maybe some seeds/nuts, fish (if you eat it), dark leafy greens e.t.c

However, I initially wanted to respond because - how are you adding your foods? Manually? Or are you choosing the selection from the search? I only ask because, make sure the foods you are entering have all the nutritional values in place. Sometimes people add foods and forget to put in things like Iron e.t.c so that it won't show up in your graph!

i am adding it directly from the database in myfitnesspal.

and thank you so much for the reply and advice
  • jitender88
    You can do an internet search for any nutrient and get a list of food that are high in that. Eat more of those. Fiber: all fruits,veg,and whole grain; protein: meat, eggs; iron: iron-fortified cereal.

thank you so much Shery
  • jitender88
    Spinach is jam packed with vitamins and is very low in calories. Go get a few 250g bags and sweat half of a bag for plenty of vitamins.

thank you so much for the reply Thomas
  • jitender88
    most items in the food diary wont have a correct or in fact any entry for iron, so I wouldn't bother trying to measure it TBH

Thanks for the reply Tavistock
  • jitender88
    RodaRose wrote: »

fiber
    protein
    and iron

thanks in advance...
    These are the two numbers that are important
    1 total calories for the day -- try to get up very close to it. Do not go over.
    2 total amount of protein for the day -- It is o.k. to go over.

Reduce some of the carbohydrates and fat in order to have room for protein:
    Protein includes these foods: beans, chick peas, lentils, eggs, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, soy milk, nuts, beef, chicken, pork, fish, chia seeds, flax seeds, sun flower seeds, broccoli, cauliflower, summer squash, kale, collards, spinach, bread, rice.

thank you so much for the info RodaRose
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member

fiber
    protein
    and iron

thanks in advance...

Someone just shared this website with me and I think it may be what you are looking for. You can search for foods that contain up to 3 searched nutrients and it will give you a list. You may have to wade through a bunch, but it helped me solve a similar issue.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/index
  • jitender88
    umayster wrote: »

fiber
    protein
    and iron

thanks in advance...

Someone just shared this website with me and I think it may be what you are looking for. You can search for foods that contain up to 3 searched nutrients and it will give you a list. You may have to wade through a bunch, but it helped me solve a similar issue.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/index

Thankyou so much umayster... this was really helpful.. thanks a ton