ankles hurt after running

Options
I started the c25k or restarted got sick so I have to start over, but they don't hurt while I run but right after and the day after my ankles kill me is it normal?

Replies

• rzatkinson
    Options
    When I first started running, I had the same thing - they also got very swollen. I started to wear a compression bandage round my ankle after running and at night. I also wore it when I did longer runs. This helped strengthen my ankles, but I was warned that wearing a compression bandage is not a long-term solution as it will eventually make your ankles weaker!
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    Your ankles will get stronger, just keep at it!

Remember R.I.C.E.
    rest
    ice
    compression
    elevation
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hard to say why it's happening, but clearly your body is telling you it doesnt want you to do that. Stick to the elliptical instead...or you will have problems with them in the long term.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't wearing the right shoes, go in to a running shop and get your pronation checked and they will let you know if you have the right ones. If you are running in the right position and shoes are good you shouldn't have anything more than a normal wear and tear ache which is just part of exercising.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had ankle problems and went to a podiatrist who told me to stretch my calves. Apparently tight legs can pull on the ankle ligaments and tendons and cause ankle pain. Maybe you stretch already...
  • soycele
    soycele Posts: 5
    Options
    you are probably sore or strained a tendon. I actually just strained my Achilles tendon last week from running lol.
    If you did the same thing, you would have pain in the lower half of your calf and it will be greatest in the morning, you would have trouble going up stairs, and flexing your calf. it hurts a lot. if this is it you need to lay off running for at least 5 days and ice a lot.
    if you are sore, you still should ice! and also listen to your body.. because you dont want it to end up a strain :P

I think the best thing to do is to see a doctor :) because I am not one, just can relate with the ankle pain. :)

good luck!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hard to say why it's happening, but clearly your body is telling you it doesnt want you to do that. Stick to the elliptical instead...or you will have problems with them in the long term.

Trouble is if I had taken advice like this I wouldn't do any exercise it all hurts, majorly, but that is what happens when you are overweight.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    there is also a term called over or under pronanting (I think) and it is when you have poor form and you tend to lean your ankles too far out or too far in. I would concentrate on keeping your legs and ankles straight. Your legs will be more sore because you are having to use them more. but you are doing this because you are not used to running.

It most likely has to do with your running form.
  • ShawnaMama
    ShawnaMama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and after a getting fitted for running shoes, the pain is gone! Go to a running store, have them measure your feet, watch you run, and fit you with the shoe that fits you best. Best of luck!!!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't wearing the right shoes, go in to a running shop and get your pronation checked and they will let you know if you have the right ones. If you are running in the right position and shoes are good you shouldn't have anything more than a normal wear and tear ache which is just part of exercising.

I went and had my pronation checked before I got my running shoes and the salesman showed me which shoes would work the best for me and now my knees, shins, ankles everything feels so much better. I hardly ever have sore joints anymore.

Also check your form, most people have a tendency when they run to come down on the heel to much, you should land between the heel and mid-foot. Proper form will make your joints feel better as well.
  • onurcoskun
    Options
    Amandamccl, your ankles simply are saying "we are not strong / flexible enough for the load you want us to carry".

Pain is a form of fuse or early warning system in our body, so if you are having excessive, continuous pain, stop whatever you are doing; no pain no gain is not the ultimate truth most of the time.

The idea is to reduce the impact load on your joints. As mentioned above, proper shoes are very important. Try running on grass or some kind of non rigid surface. Running on asphalt and concrete will hurt you more in the long run. Elliptical machines are also useful as they do not apply impact load on your joints.

You may want to slow down until your joints get stronger. Proper warm up, cool down and stretching are also important and should not be ignored. Finally do some weight lifting, focusing on muscles supporting your joints will help you.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion but since they only hurt for the day after and do not continue hurting longer than that I would guess it is your body getting used to that type of impact and exercise. I used to get really sore feet when I ran or walked (I have been to the running store and have a beautiful pair of k-swiss konejo's which I love) Your body will get used to it.

If you have ever picked-up a marathoner after race you see a lot of people who are walking gingerly because their feet and ankles hurt. Not because they have done something bad to their body but because they have pushed their body to their limit and it responds. Your body will get used to it as long as you do not add too much mileage too fast.

If they hurt days or weeks after you run then I would get a professional opinion.

Hope you can keep running.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yep, check your style of shoe to make sure the shoes you wear are helping - not hurting your efforts.

Also might steer toward softer surfaces. If you have a school track near you this could be an aid while your ankles strengthen.