Try PB2

Options
2»

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Powdered peanut butter is really pretty simple. Basically they are pressing the peanut oil out (olive oil is pressed from olives). Then they do add some salt and sugar.

Except in your analogy you're buying powdered olives instead of olive oil.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Powdered peanut butter is really pretty simple. Basically they are pressing the peanut oil out (olive oil is pressed from olives). Then they do add some salt and sugar.

Except in your analogy you're buying powdered olives instead of olive oil.

How is the expressed, filtered, and potentially fractionated oil closer "to the way it [the peanut or olive] came out of the ground" (or off the vine) than the solids from which the oil is expressed? They're both a part of the original food, but not the whole.

You might be able to make an argument about preferring traditional, pre-industrial food processing methods, but I don't think "close to how it comes out of the ground" works very well for ranking olive oil above partially defatted peanut meal. (Although I'll grant you that the PB2 brand adds sugar and salt not found in the original food, but you can buy similar products that don't add sugar and salt. I have some of the latter on the shelf which I thought I would try since I don't like sugar masking the peanut flavor in my peanut butter anyway, but I still have a little bit of PB2 left to eat through first.)
  • Love2Rappel
    Love2Rappel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    P28... by far a better route.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    my new favorite thing to do with PB2 is spread it on chocolate rice cakes. Delicious
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I'm not judging or trying to influence anyone else's choices, but on principal I try to buy stuff that's as close as is practical to the way it came out of the ground or the carcass. There are exceptions, but I don't feel the need to make powdered peanut butter one of them.

Okay, thanks for sharing that.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I eat real PB when my calories allow it. I eat PB2 if I want the taste of PB and just cannot find a place to sneak it in. It works when mixed in stuff like yogurt and shakes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I tried PB2 for the first time this weekend by adding it to my pancakes. Very tasty!!
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle the chocolate PB2 on lowfat vanilla ice cream for a treat. Really delicious. I've also mixed it as a dip for fruit or veggies.
  • sheafferlynn
    sheafferlynn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yuuuum...didn't realize there was a choc pb2! Thx!
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I recently found Jif peanut powder and it has no added sugar or sodium, just roasted peanuts.

Tastes awful on toast but great in smoothies.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I just had it whipped into whipped cream. So good! It's also really good in overnight oats.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Have PB2 mixed into my cereal milk last night, which was my original reason for trying it. OMG so good!! Mixed into the milk very nicely, and I did like the lower calories. B)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Yuuuum...didn't realize there was a choc pb2! Thx!

There is. And oddly enough, chocolate is the only PB2 that has verified entries in MFP. Lots of them. I'm not sure why so many different entries are verified, but I couldn't find any that weren't chocolate.
  • steffi_crow
    steffi_crow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Love PB2 in my shakes/smoothies. It us made from real peanuts, has a good amount of peanut butter flavor, without all the calories. I don't try using it as a peanut butter. But added to recipes, I find it adds a lot if peanut flavor
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Does PB2 have the same amount of protein as regular peanut butter?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Does PB2 have the same amount of protein as regular peanut butter?

If I remember correctly, it had 1 more gram per 2 Tbs serving than my natural pb. The difference might be a little more if compared to another peanut butter that also has added sugar (as PB2 does). Mine didn't have any. The fat is removed so the carbs and protein would have to go up a little for the peanuts themselves.