Caffeine - good, bad, ugly?

Options
As I sit here happily sipping a Monster Rehab, I am wondering - what are your thoughts on caffeine intake?
Obviously there's a lot of opinions on this subject, with some people swearing by caffeine to boost their workouts, and others who are highly sensitive to it and get sick from even a little bit of caffeine intake. And obviously, many caffeinated beverages can be high in calories and/or very expensive.

I really enjoy caffeine. I'm almost uncomfortable admitting that, to be honest - but I love the burst of energy, especially since my endurance often feels so low normally. I am probably addicted to it, I realize that, too (though I don't tend to get headaches if I miss my morning coffee). And of course my tolerance to the stuff is pretty high - though on a typical day, my intake is about 2 cups of coffee.

I don't often buy energy drinks because they are expensive, but when they're on sale or I feel like I can splurge a little, I'll tend to pick up something low-cal (the Monster Rehabs are 10 calories per serving, very doable!). Out of curiosity, though, I just looked up the price on liquid caffeine additive - with the ability to add it to anything, including 0 calorie beverages, it ends up looking very economical, both for my wallet and my calorie budget. But the idea of buying that then feels "dirty" to me, like I'm some kind of degenerate drug addict - am I just being overly judgemental of myself, or am I right about the slippery slope of caffeine use? Or maybe there's a huge range of grey area in there.

So, let's talk about caffeine! How do you feel about it? Do you use it, or do you avoid it? And where should someone draw the line?

Replies

• caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I love my espresso machine. Coffee is my one vice. I don't overindulge and always use nonfat milk and no sugar. I can't stomach the taste of energy drinks but I definitely love the feeling I get from coffee. I know that makes me feel like an addict too :/ But honestly I need some caffeine to get me through the day. I think everybody has a different tolerance to caffeine. I would be a little cautious of liquid caffeine however. That sounds like you could easily add too much. A caffeine overdose is very unpleasant if not dangerous.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have a few cups daily

I like my coffee.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I have 16 oz of coffee to start my day, and sometimes a diet cola in the early afternoon. But if I have any after about 3:00 p.m., it wreaks havoc in my sleep cycle.
  • kiwi_abbey
    kiwi_abbey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think caffeine is bad for people like me. It has little benfit to me these days due to the quantity I drink. Im in the upwards of 10-15 cups a day. Everyday for the last 10 years. NOT RECOMMENDED!!!! Trying to quit cold turkey resulted in a trip to the doctor's where she told me to start drinking it again and work down slowly. Its like drug withdrawals. If you can stay away from it, do.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have one 12 oz or so glass of iced coffee in the morning - without it I get headaches and am too tired to chase my toddler around, with it I am just good (not hyper). Once in a great while I get a craving for a Dunkin Donuts coffee and have a second iced coffee - I have to be careful to not have it too late though, I am pretty sensitive to caffeine (just my observation). I worked a night shift for a while where I was drinking a Dunkin XL iced to try to get through the night and I learned two things : Night shift is not for me. If I drink even one XL coffee I get jittery and horrible.

My Dad drinks multiple cups through the day. My mom only drinks black tea a few times a day - she can't drink caffeine late either.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 4 weak cups of coffee per day.

Like everything, if you like it and it gives you no ill effects and you are ingesting it in sensible amounts, all is good.

If you don't like it or it does give you ill effects don't drink it, or drink it at certain times only ( eg not in the evening if it keeps you awake at night)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I start the morning with 1 twelve oz. mug of black coffee brewed from a heaping 1 oz. measure. Coffee intake has varied widely over the years. Of the "addictive" substances I have experienced, caffeine behavior is the easiest to modify.
  • tobyowen2015
    tobyowen2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think like most things, caffeine in moderation is okay. What moderation means though is anynone's guess.
  • rawfruitvegH20
    rawfruitvegH20 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was a diet coke addict until i replaced all that salt intake with a Coffee Pod coffee pot, i can get 25 different flavored coffee pods from around the world l cup in the morning is now a treat I grew up a army brat traveling everywhere and boiled coffee was given to us at a very early age as at times the water was not safe to drink in different countries so we got hooked on coffee very young...my salt intake is down, and l cup a morn is a treat
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    http://examine.com/supplements/Caffeine/

Nothing conclusive, it does have minerals in it though...
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It is neither harmful nor beneficial towards weightloss. If you like it use it