Shirataki Noodles - zero calories!!!

Options

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Brown rice is far from calorific lmfao.

250 calories may not be a big part of your daily intake. I'm 4'11, 250 calories is a big deal to me!

But you still do have to eat something, no? If you cannot afford something like a bowl of brown rice, what can you possibly afford? Honestly curious, since this is rather different than the usual "should I fit pizza and oreos in my daily calories" debate.

Let me guess... OP is on 1200 calories
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When you say that they taste "almost exactly like" noodles, what does that mean?

I'm doing okay on staying full with fruits and veggies, so I don't really need a zero or four calorie noodle replacement, but actual food with next to no calories is intriguing.

It's the "almost" like noodles part that sounds iffy. If it tastes like something else, but not really...I don't know. Things that are almost like other things are rarely as good.

Are they good on their own, as their own thing or are they good because they're "almost" like something else, so almost good?

I, personally, didn't notice any difference in taste at all but from reading reviews online, other people say they have a slightly different taste. My husband said he thought the texture was different but I did not notice any difference in texture. I always have noodles with spicy dishes, I don't eat them on their own. If you eat noodles on their own, or with a very mildly flavoured dish, it's entirely feasible that you might come back and say you could taste some difference. But for me, they were exactly like ordinary noodles. It wasn't like diet coke vs. ordinary coke. For me it was just like ordinary coke, I didn't notice any difference at all.
    I usually mix my pasta with soft onions, garlic and diced tomato. Red sauce is a little much for me and white sauces, as much as I liked them, are out, so I do the onion, garlic and tomato thing (and some spices.) It's pretty good with whole wheat pasta.

Thanks for mentioning this. It's an interesting idea. Maybe I'll try it one of these days. I'm glad you like it! :)
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    morrisons sells it

never heard, but I want to try them - half a kg for 25 cal must be a good snack lol
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options

250 calories may not be a big part of your daily intake. I'm 4'11, 250 calories is a big deal to me!

But you still do have to eat something, no? If you cannot afford something like a bowl of brown rice, what can you possibly afford? Honestly curious, since this is rather different than the usual "should I fit pizza and oreos in my daily calories" debate.

Lol, where did 'afford' come into it? I'm not buying these because they're cheaper :-P Do you mean afford as in, afford the calories?

I like to save my calories for lean protein (usually chicken) and vegetables of any kind. I also like semi-skimmed milk and nuts and I have a little bit of fruit - not mad amounts. I don't really try to cut food groups out, I just like to consider what I'm getting for my calories and, if it's not that much, go with something different. I'm not opposed to carbs at all (I love carbs, lol) but if I can have more meat, veg, sauce and less calories in the 'carby' bit of the food, then I'm definitely up for that.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the rice version (at least not how I had it with a curry) but I like it well enough as a pasta alternative. I like that I get to eat a lot of pasta sauce and cheese with it and still get a low calorie meal. I don't eat pasta because I have insulin resistance, so it's a good alternative for me. You do have to rinse them really well to get rid of any aftertaste/smell.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I don't really see what the problem is with someone using a low calorie alternative if they like the taste of it? Why have the extra calories of brown rice if you're happy with konjac noodles? I know I'd rather have a 250 calorie slice of cake than a small amount of brown rice :\
    Options

Let me guess... OP is on 1200 calories

Actually, on exercise days, I'm on 2470 calories. On non-exercise days it really depends how sedentary I am. But I still wouldn't waste 250 calories on something that gives me very little nutrition, and very little taste, when I can have chicken or vegetables or tasty sauces with garlic and chillies and tomatoes, and get my 'carbs' for 'free'.

And on that note, I'm going to leave you to your 'gangsta' school of nutrition and wish you the best of luck with your brown rice :-P It sounds very healthy, I hope you enjoy your stronglifts (I also have started the stronglifts). May the best carb win!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to eat a food with zero calories, so zero nutrition value? Do they provide other things like vitamins etc? Or is it just a way to fill you up and make you not want to eat more, like an appetite suppressant but more natural?

Well, most carbs don't give you a whole lot of nutrition anyway - pasta and rice are not particularly nutritious as far as I know - the main nutrition part is often the meat or vegetable addition (protein, vitamins etc). for me, having a zero calorie carb still let me have that traditional dish without all the calories it brings. It tastes good, for a start, yes it is filling, and it made me feel like I was having a proper meal.

rice has no nutrition, really? I think you need togo back to the drawing board. Rice, pasta, and potatoes contain plenty of micronutrients.

here is a breakdown of regular brown nice:
    Vitamins
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
    Vitamin A0.0IU0%
    Vitamin C0.0mg0%
    Vitamin D~ ~
    Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)2.2mg11%
    Vitamin K3.5mcg4%
    Thiamin0.7mg49%
    Riboflavin0.2mg10%
    Niacin9.4mg47%
    Vitamin B60.9mg47%
    Folate37.0mcg9%
    Vitamin B120.0mcg0%
    Pantothenic Acid2.8mg28%
    Choline56.8mg
    Betaine~
    Minerals
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
    Calcium42.6mg4%
    Iron2.7mg15%
    Magnesium265mg66%
    Phosphorus616mg62%
    Potassium412mg12%
    Sodium13.0mg1%
    Zinc3.7mg25%
    Copper0.5mg26%
    Manganese6.9mg346%
    Selenium43.3mcg62%
    Fluoride~

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5706/2#ixzz3hqZWSz2N

so not sure where you are getting the no nutritional value….
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    swift13b wrote: »

I don't really see what the problem is with someone using a low calorie alternative if they like the taste of it? Why have the extra calories of brown rice if you're happy with konjac noodles? I know I'd rather have a 250 calorie slice of cake than a small amount of brown rice :\

Personally, I have no problem, just curious. I totally get the idea behind lower calorie alternatives to things where there are a ton of calories per regular serving. But when a bowl of regular rice noodles has less than 200 calories (at least for my servings) it does sound unusual to need something even lower calorie.
    Although I am getting to see this is a low carb thread, not a low cal one, so I am running away.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    swift13b wrote: »

Personally, I have no problem, just curious. I totally get the idea behind lower calorie alternatives to things where there are a ton of calories per regular serving. But when a bowl of regular rice noodles has less than 200 calories (at least for my servings) it does sound unusual to need something even lower calorie.
    Although I am getting to see this is a low carb thread, not a low cal one, so I am running away.

u better run
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I didn't say that carbs had 'no' nutritional value. I said that "most carbs don't give you a whole lot of nutrition anyway".

I'm well aware that there are some fab 'carbs' out there that really buck this trend. I personally love unsweetened, unsalted museli for the bran and oats. But, in reality, the sort of carbs that people tend to eat a lot of with a meal, don't tend to be that nutritious. As for brown rice, please notice my other comment:

"A 70g (dry weight) serving of brown rice has over 250 calories. And considering what nutrients you can get from it (Manganese and Selenium) are also found in much lower calorie foods, I'm not too worried about skipping the brown rice."

You can get your daily requirement of Selenium from 2 brazil nuts. And you can get Manganese from things like spinach, for much less calories.

Obviously, if you like brown rice, or you don't think you can get these nutrients from the rest of your diet, then eating brown rice works perfectly for you, and more power to you. But for me, I'm getting these nutrients for less calories elsewhere and I want to save on calories - so shitaki noodles are perfect for me.

It's not about restricting food choices, it's about making the best choice for your diet profile. For people who are concerned about the calorie content of their carbs, these noodles are a great idea, which is why they work for me :-)

Options

Although I am getting to see this is a low carb thread, not a low cal one

It's not a low carb thread for me! It's a 'how to have your carbs and eat them' thread for me. People who don't like carbs are not really going to be interested in a low calorie 'carb', imo.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Although I am getting to see this is a low carb thread, not a low cal one

It's not a low carb thread for me! It's a 'how to have your carbs and eat them' thread for me. People who don't like carbs are not really going to be interested in a low calorie 'carb', imo.

When the basic concept is "carbs are evil, non nutritious, not worth eating, I need to save my entire 2450 calories for lean meat and sauce and not waste any of them on a bowl of noodles or rice", then yes, this is a "carbs are the devil" thread. It is not even a "personally I do not care about noodles and other carbs" thread, because people who do not care about eating these foods, they do not miss them and have no need for replacements. It is definitely a "how to pretend I am eating regular pasta which I miss, but keep my low-carb diet" thread. Which is fine, but the title is misleading.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what version I bought but they had a rubber band texture.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I didn't say that carbs had 'no' nutritional value. I said that "most carbs don't give you a whole lot of nutrition anyway".

I'm well aware that there are some fab 'carbs' out there that really buck this trend. I personally love unsweetened, unsalted museli for the bran and oats. But, in reality, the sort of carbs that people tend to eat a lot of with a meal, don't tend to be that nutritious. As for brown rice, please notice my other comment:

"A 70g (dry weight) serving of brown rice has over 250 calories. And considering what nutrients you can get from it (Manganese and Selenium) are also found in much lower calorie foods, I'm not too worried about skipping the brown rice."

You can get your daily requirement of Selenium from 2 brazil nuts. And you can get Manganese from things like spinach, for much less calories.

Obviously, if you like brown rice, or you don't think you can get these nutrients from the rest of your diet, then eating brown rice works perfectly for you, and more power to you. But for me, I'm getting these nutrients for less calories elsewhere and I want to save on calories - so shitaki noodles are perfect for me.

It's not about restricting food choices, it's about making the best choice for your diet profile. For people who are concerned about the calorie content of their carbs, these noodles are a great idea, which is why they work for me :-)

and i am pointing out for anyone that comes in here that carbs do provide adequate nutrition. Personally, I have tried these "noodles" before and found them gross, but if you like them and want to eat them, then by all means do so. However, lets not spread misinformation about carbs having "little" nutritional value….

also, one serving of brown basamatti rice is 150 calories. If 150 calories is too much food for your day, then you may want to re-consider your intake.

• alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I bought them several years ago and thought they were very yucky. It was more the texture of them that I found unappealing. That's great though that you like it as its a good alternative when you want to fill up
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    We tried them, the funk smell and weird rubbery/slime texture was off putting for me. I rinsed them off, and put them in a stir fry, I was eating around them to avoid eating them.

I would rather have zucchini zoodles any day.
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I usually mix my pasta with soft onions, garlic and diced tomato. Red sauce is a little much for me and white sauces, as much as I liked them, are out, so I do the onion, garlic and tomato thing (and some spices.) It's pretty good with whole wheat pasta.

Thanks for mentioning this. It's an interesting idea. Maybe I'll try it one of these days. I'm glad you like it! :)

Nom, this sounds really nice, I might try that sauce with some of the penne shitaki.

Glad you found it interesting, I was pleasantly surprised by it too :-)
    Options
    I would rather have zucchini zoodles any day.

I like courgetti (I guess that is similar to what you call zoodles) in place of spaghetti, but I found that it doesn't really soak up the sauce as well as I'd like. I do slice it into a stir fry but I might try the 'zoodles' as you call them instead and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion!

• faye_machine
    faye_machine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    YES. My ultimate go-to meals are always made with shirataki (sesame, or peanut sauce, or plain ol' stir-fry, or as a good base for lettuce rolls). I love them; since I grew up eating noodles similar to taste and texture, so none of that bothers me.