I've plateaued already! Help!

Options
ive been the same weight (166.4) for the past 3 days and I've only lost 6 pounds so far. Why have I plateaued already? How can I kick start the weight loss again?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That is not a plateau. A plateau is when you don't lose weight for weeks (4-6 or more.)

• Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    That is not a plateau. A plateau is when you don't lose weight for weeks (4-6 or more.)

This!

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    3 days honestly, multiply that by 15 and you would be getting closer to a plateau. You need to get a realistic understanding of weight loss and how it works. 1-2lbs a week is considered good safe rate of loss. To obtain that you need to have a defecit of 500-1000 calories a day. If you are doing the right things then keep on doing them and be patient.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You have unreasonable expectations. Have patience.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Oh. It doesn't work like that :) Especially as a lady.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sometimes our bodies hold onto water and it can disguise fat loss. As long as you are still eating at a deficit you are losing fat. Once your body sheds the excess water, you'll see the loss. Water retention happens for several reasons: a very strenuous workout can cause the muscles to hold onto water for repair, an excess of sodium in your food which throws off your electrolyte balance, hormonal changes.

Honestly, there are a few things about weight loss you need to understand or you're going to be on a terrible emotional roller coaster through the whole process.
    1. Weight loss isn't linear. Some days you will see the number on the scale go down, some days it will not move or even go up. Most of that variability is due to the water retention I mentioned earlier.
    2. Although this isn't one, you will eventually plateau. Everybody does if they aren't constantly adjusting. When you do plateau, it's time to either lower your daily calorie goal or become more stringent in your calorie counting. As you lose weight your body burns less calories and if you don't change how much you're eating you will no longer be eating at a deficit.
    3. You will have a much easier time losing weight at the beginning than at the end. As you get closer to your goal weight, it gets harder to create the deficit needed to lose pounds so fat loss slows.
    4. You will probably gain weight each month and then lose it again due to hormonal changes. I usually gain about 5 pounds during the week of my cycle. I then take a few days to lose it again. You will be losing fat during that time so just keep eating at your goal and once the excess water drops, you'll have lost weight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options
    ive been the same weight (166.4) for the past 3 days and I've only lost 6 pounds so far. Why have I plateaued already? How can I kick start the weight loss again?

You haven't plateaued.
    Stick with what you're doing.
    Be patient.

You're going to encounter days and weeks like this where you don't lose weight. Just relax. It happens. Stick to the plan.

• RebeccaBarber2015
    RebeccaBarber2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Sometimes our bodies hold onto water and it can disguise fat loss. As long as you are still eating at a deficit you are losing fat. Once your body sheds the excess water, you'll see the loss. Water retention happens for several reasons: a very strenuous workout can cause the muscles to hold onto water for repair, an excess of sodium in your food which throws off your electrolyte balance, hormonal changes.

Honestly, there are a few things about weight loss you need to understand or you're going to be on a terrible emotional roller coaster through the whole process.
    1. Weight loss isn't linear. Some days you will see the number on the scale go down, some days it will not move or even go up. Most of that variability is due to the water retention I mentioned earlier.
    2. Although this isn't one, you will eventually plateau. Everybody does if they aren't constantly adjusting. When you do plateau, it's time to either lower your daily calorie goal or become more stringent in your calorie counting. As you lose weight your body burns less calories and if you don't change how much you're eating you will no longer be eating at a deficit.
    3. You will have a much easier time losing weight at the beginning than at the end. As you get closer to your goal weight, it gets harder to create the deficit needed to lose pounds so fat loss slows.
    4. You will probably gain weight each month and then lose it again due to hormonal changes. I usually gain about 5 pounds during the week of my cycle. I then take a few days to lose it again. You will be losing fat during that time so just keep eating at your goal and once the excess water drops, you'll have lost weight.

Thank you, I did do a strenuous workout the other day that left me sore for days so maybe that's it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Thank you, I did do a strenuous workout the other day that left me sore for days so maybe that's it.

More than likely, it is. I always gain a few pounds after a half marathon. At first it was frustrating when I've just burned 1200 calories in the span of 2.5 hours. :smile: I've learned that it's just going to happen and a few days later it'll be gone.