• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mmm roasted green beans
  • RinnyBlush
    RinnyBlush Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Personally, I love salad. I eat a different one every day! I have a couple pieces of advice for you:

1) Chop/shred your veggies very small - the texture and consistency between bites can be easier to stomach for some.

2) Make your own dressings. I find them waaaaay more flavourful, and I can control the acidity level. My favourites are (these both make single serving amounts for one lunch salad):

Honey Dijon Dressing
    1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
    1/2 tbsp honey
    1 tsp (or more, if you like) dijon mustard

Balsamic
    1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    a dash of soy sauce

3) Add a good amount of protein - for the nutrients, taste, and variety! My favourite protein toppings are usually a combination of 2 of the following: hard-boiled egg, smoked salmon, chicken breast, tuna, quinoa, white beans, black beans, cashews, walnuts, and every single cheese ever.

4) If you are missing your carbs, don't feel bad about adding in some croutons or other grain products. Some people think bread is the devil, but I assure you, it's not. You're still eating salad, and the goal is to be satisfied!

5) Get a proper salad bin! I love having all of my ingredients fresh and separated. This is what I use:

rqfaxx4440l6.jpg

Today, I filled the bottom bin with 2 cups of mixed greens, half of the top was chopped egg and parmesan cheese, the other half was chopped onion, green pepper, and cucumber. I used the honey dijon dressing.

I hope this helps! :)
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If calories are an issue, you might try Walden Farm's dressings. Zero calories. The Thousand Island dressing has the best reviews and I didn't think it was bad at all. Otherwise, seems like you got some awesome options folks have suggested.
  • kywy84
    kywy84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you again everyone especially the pictures. That really helps a lot. I have a whole new perspective on salads.
  • kywy84
    Options
    I just realized from all the questions above that I don't like the texture of lettuce and I didn't know the proper way to make a really good salad. Thank you. I now know that I can cut the lettuce up really small or not put it in at all. Also for the few who asked why I thought I was eating Rabbit food....I used to breed rabbits when I was a teenager and guess what I fed them? Lettuce!! I just didn't know how else to explain it. Thanks for your help everyone.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    kywy84 wrote: »
    I just realized from all the questions above that I don't like the texture of lettuce and I didn't know the proper way to make a really good salad. Thank you. I now know that I can cut the lettuce up really small or not put it in at all. Also for the few who asked why I thought I was eating Rabbit food....I used to breed rabbits when I was a teenager and guess what I fed them? Lettuce!! I just didn't know how else to explain it. Thanks for your help everyone.

Then do not eat lettuce. Problem solved :) You need to eat some vegetables, but it does not have to be lettuce or even anything that looks like a salad, there are so many options out there.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My salad game has recently gotten a lot better! A few tips that come to mind:

Do your salad prep like they do at Chopt. Cut everything up including your lettuce/greens into small pieces and toss it all together with your dressing a big serving bowl (ie don't just build it on your plate). If your ingredients are cut too large you can only get a few flavors on the fork at a time. Salads are best when you can have everything at once.

Have a mix of textures and lots of them! I like to pick a base green, a few crunchy elements (peppers, nuts, cucumbers, etc) , a softer/chewy element (grains, eggs, beans, chicken) and something creamy (usually either avocado or cheese. Occasionally honey mustard dressing).

Salt and pepper. Makes all the difference.

I second this, particularly about Salt and Pepper, I quite often skip salad dressing altogether in favour of S+P and the bonus is more calories saved for dessert ;)
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I gave up salad dressing 5 years ago when I started this lifestyle change. Back then, I was following WW & a couple of tablespoons of dressing had a lot of points. I pack my salads every day for lunch. Spinach, grape tomatoes, English cucumbers, hard-boiled eggs, red bell pepper, freshly cooked REAL bacon, artichoke hearts & avocado. I don't need dressing. I enjoy the taste of each vegetable rather than the same taste in every bite (dressing).
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Adding different ingredients to salads can help keep staple salad ingredients fresh!

I really like strawberries or blueberries in my salad. The sweetness meshes well with the vegetable flavors. I enjoy a quarter/half of an avocado in there sometimes. Other days, I'll add a dash of hot sauce, a bit of bacon, a few sunflower seeds, or a handful of homemade croutons. I sometimes add cheese too, depending on how it fits in the calorie count.

I always try to add a protein in as well, such as a hard-boiled egg, chicken, tuna, shrimp, etc. Otherwise, I feel that salads don't keep me full very long.
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    what i like to do is buy those pre made salad kits. there are many different kinds of salad kits, so i get a variety there and then add a cut up chicken breast to it, maybe some cheese as well.
  • Peaceandwater
    Peaceandwater Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean No-Lettuce Salad:
    1. Chop up cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, peppers, fresh herbs like basil or cilantro, garlic.
    2. Mix with balsamic vinegar, a little olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice
    3. Add some feta or fresh mozzarella and maybe some good olives if you're into that.

Add, subtract, or substitute anything you want but this is a good place to start! Add some protein on the side if it's going to be a meal. Keeps better in the fridge than lettuce-based salads so you can make it the night before and take it to work for lunch easy!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    If you hate salad, then why eat it?
  • kywy84
    Options
    I made my first salad this weekend and actually liked it. I used lettuce and cut it up really small like some of you suggested. I used Walden Farms dressing too and it tastes really good for being zero calories. I even went and bought the tupperware above to help keep it fresh and that works great too. I thank you all for your help. I am still experimenting but I thank you all for the ideas.
  • scotchmalloh
    scotchmalloh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like making a salad with grilled chicken or tuna, dried cranberries, feta cheese, some walnuts, and balsamic vinegar. It's really delicious AND low calorie (under 300 for a meal).
  • nadi0rnice
    nadi0rnice Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Add protein to your salad! try different kinds of lettuce. add cheese, add lots of veggies, beans. Add stuff so that it doesn't look mostly green. I really don't like lettuce so it's okay if you have less lettuce than others things
  • kywy84
    Options
    Thanks
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a revolving love/hate relationship with salads, so I understand when you say that you hate salads because at one point, I did too. Now I crave them everyday! Being on a low card diet allows me to have regular salad dressing such as Caesar and Blue Cheese because I need the extra fat to help fill me up, instead of carbohydrates. I think my love for salads has to do with the taste of the salad dressing, along with the peppers, onions, and grated Parmesan cheese, and sometimes dried fruits that I add them. If the salad dressing doesn't please me, then I can't stay committed to them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    also realize that there are lots of different types of lettuces and they have different tastes and textures
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I was the same at first, but you're right the calorie count on caesar's is high. I still eat them, but I've learned where I can get them for a reasonable calorie count and where to avoid them. If it looks too creamy, it's probably loaded with calories!

Now I've learned to enjoy salads as a vehicle for eating my lean proteins--specifically grilled chicken breast. I toss in pumpkin seeds, feta and balsamic dressing, some sliced apples and a few grapes (just a few) and it feels like a feast! To me, it's a good option instead of having a chicken sandwich, for example.

My trick for making salad dressings go further is to add a dash of vinegar and maybe a little pepper, too. I can often stretch one Tbl. of my favorite dressing for my whole salad if I do this.

Good luck!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I was also going to suggest experimenting with different lettuces. I love the baby mixes and have come to love arugula, butter lettuce, and red leaf. Just find what flavors you love and take a few minutes to prep them the way restaurants do. Wash well, spin or dry, and chill before serving. It makes a big difference!