C25K week 5 issues

Options
So been stuck on week 5 day 3 (20 minute jog). I almost feel like skipping to week 6 day 1, 5and 8 minute jogs just seem more realistic for me. Any ideas or suggestions on the program from anyone who completed it? I can just barely do the 5 minute jogs on week 5 days 1&2 and it jumpes to 20 minutes!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How fast are you trying to go? I would suggest slowing your pace. If that doesn't help, go ahead and do 5/8 minutes. Then maybe work up from there (8/8, 8/10, 10/10, etc.)
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I stalled there for like 3 weeks too - then one day I woke up and busted out 3.4 miles (I was doing the distance version - for me that was just under 40 minutes). I just kept doing it over and over, going as far as I could before I had to stop and walk, then that day I made it, I got to two miles, let out a cheer, and said, "Hey, I still feel pretty good - I'm just going to keep going!". The day it all clicked was the day I finally found a good pace to stick with through the whole run - at the time the average was 11:30 min/mile , and I only ranged from 10:30 to 12 the entire time. That was the second week of April and now I'm down to around 10:30 on my best days - it just takes time! 5 weeks isn't always long enough for everyone to be able to do 20 minutes or 2 miles in a row.

You can do it!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down, and then just keep repeating W5D3 until you get it. Hang in there!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Slow down. You're probably trying to run too fast. W5D3 is a mental game. You are ready for this, believe me. Keep your pace easy and slow. If you feel winded, slow down. You will not run near 5K in that 20 minutes. It's not expected. Distance is of no importance, nor is speed.....just time.

Keep trying. You can do this.
  • eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Yes I know a lot of it is mental. I had the same fear with 5 minutes and I was so proud when I just got over it and did it. I'll try to slow down my pace a little and see if that helps. I have been trying to speed up lately so maybe I need to go down to my old pace.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I had a miserable w5d3 but I moved on after a try or two. and now I got week7 down and working on week8
    pacing is big. and just keep moving
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1. Don't psyche yourself out (re: I can't run 20 mins...") before you even get started.
    2. If you are wheezing not long after you get started, you are going too fast. Don't worry about speed. That comes later. What you are working on now is stamina.
    3. Try and concentrate on your breathing. Breathing should come from your diaphragm, and not your chest. You get better oxygen input that way. You need to work on getting into a regular breathing pattern as you run.
    4. Work on being consistent with your cadence. Inconsistency with stride and coming down irregularly on the asphalt etc., can lead to injury not to mention making your run harder on you.
    5. When coming to inclines on your path, pick your knees up a little higher. This increases your stride while at the same time making it a little easier to traverse the incline.
    6. Break up the run (mentally) into smaller times. Work towards that first 5 mins. When it is done, congratulate yourself and work towards the next 5 mins, or whatever works for you.
  • eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1. Don't psyche yourself out (re: I can't run 20 mins...") before you even get started.
    2. If you are wheezing not long after you get started, you are going too fast. Don't worry about speed. That comes later. What you are working on now is stamina.
    3. Try and concentrate on your breathing. Breathing should come from your diaphragm, and not your chest. You get better oxygen input that way. You need to work on getting into a regular breathing pattern as you run.
    4. Work on being consistent with your cadence. Inconsistency with stride and coming down irregularly on the asphalt etc., can lead to injury not to mention making your run harder on you.
    5. When coming to inclines on your path, pick your knees up a little higher. This increases your stride while at the same time making it a little easier to traverse the incline.
    6. Break up the run (mentally) into smaller times. Work towards that first 5 mins. When it is done, congratulate yourself and work towards the next 5 mins, or whatever works for you.

Thank you! I have been trying to work on the breathing big time. I've just recently read a lot about it.
    I will try the braking it down mentally. I think I am thinking about it too much!

• WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

^^great advice!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    eved305 wrote: »

Thank you! I have been trying to work on the breathing big time. I've just recently read a lot about it.
    I will try the braking it down mentally. I think I am thinking about it too much!

I think you are as well. You see that 20 mins as a far, far off mountain range you have to run to. The thing is, you have already been to the mountain range several times already, with the interval sessions. Mentally speaking, the 20 minute run is nothing more than another interval session.

You can do it. Take your time and enjoy the scenery outside, music, audiobook, podcast or whatever appeals to you as you run. :)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to slow down. One of the things I had to adjust to with running was the movement. Starting slow and I mean slow, like walking slow and then at the same speed change to the running motion. For me it is usually after minute 3 that I get my good wind and can keep going . . . of course getting to minute 3 does take some work. Keep going and maybe go back a week or so (it won't hurt) and see how that goes, by the end of C25K that last run should a breeze - maybe not a breeze but definitely no wheezing.

Good luck!
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in that I had trouble that week too. I just repeated it 2 or 3 times and slowed my pace until I got it. It's hard so be kind to yourself. Better to repeat a week or 3 than not finish at all. Once I (finally) finished C25K, I sucessfully trained for my first half marathon with no set backs at all.

I think that beginner runners can't hear the words, "slow down!" too often. Changed everything for me.