Vitamin D Deficiency......

Options
Has anyone noticed that it seems everyone has vitamin D deficiency? My blood work shows that mine is very low and the Dr. wants me on a supplement. Gave me the prescription one and it made me nausea so said to just get over the counter. Any suggestions on good ones? It seems like everyone I talk to has the same problem?? :( Not sure if this has any bearing on the weight loss? Any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Not much bearing on weight loss but a huge bearing on energy. I had this once and slept for 14 hours straight. Now I get outside in the sun. Problem solved.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D deficiency is very common. People are in the sun less and covered with clothes. There's not much in food either unless it's fortified. Make sure what you buy is D3 and not D2. I have to take upwards of 15,000 IU every day to keep my levels in the middle of the normal range...
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that you're taking vitamin D3 in the dosage your doctor recommended. I haven't noticed any direct bearing on weight loss.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yea, my doc told me I have a slight Vitamin D deficiency. In addition to my multi-vitamin, I (2) Rainbow Light Food-Based Calcium with Magnesium and Vitamin D3 daily.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    These are the ones I have been taking: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/vitamin-d3-2000-iu-100-softgels/vs-2463

They also come in 5000 iu

I'll get my bloodwork done again next month so I can see how well they work. I think last year my level was 36, and it's supposed to be between 30-100.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are low in America. I take buckets of D and I spend a great deal of time in the sun.

There are even more people low than there are people who know they're low. A lot of people don't even have checkups.

It's a big thing. :)
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mine was very low in the winter so I started taking supplements. I halved the dose in spring and stopped taking them in the beginning of summer but think I need to start again because it hasn't been very sunny lately. I was in the south of Spain for 2 weeks earlier this month and felt much more energetic than I do now. When I first got my levels tested I was hardly able to stay awake.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    When I was deficient my doc said to take 8000 units of D3 a day for 6 weeks, then rechecked my levels. They were fine after that.
  • nadi0rnice
    nadi0rnice Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm currently vitamin D deficient. It's just from lack of sunlight. Get the levels back in the right place and weight loss should be the same. Your body isn't going to get rid of stuff if it doesn't have enough of something
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My bloodwork just came back mildly deficient (my level was 24). My doc told me 2000 IU max-I already take a Magnesium/Calcium supplement that has 600IU of D3 in it, so I bought a 1000IU Nature Made supplement to go along with it. I've read to make sure you take it with a meal that has some fat in it because Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin.
  • myri54
    myri54 Posts: 48 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Moekup wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that it seems everyone has vitamin D deficiency? My blood work shows that mine is very low (only 11, girl my age supposed to haave at least 46) and the Dr. wants me on a supplement. Gave me the prescription one and it made me nausea so said to just get over the counter. Any suggestions on good ones? It seems like everyone I talk to has the same problem?? :( Not sure if this has any bearing on the weight loss? Any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem and my low levels on vitamin D made me feel tired all the time. I took the 50,000 super pill with prescription for 8 weeks, one per week, that put my levels normal. to keep the level i use sundown vitamin D, 2000 iu. i like that over the counter brand because i dont feel sick like with other vitamins.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've never had a problem with vitamin D deficiency, but about a year ago I moved from Alabama to Cleveland. There is literally NO sun in Cleveland, especially in the winter, so I guess my body was like wtf. I took 50,000 iu once a week for 12 weeks and it helped tremendously with mood and energy.
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The best thing i tell my patients that are slightly lower, is to take 2000 iu daily and if possible get liquid vitamin d.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was because of some stupid diet I did and had to have a prescription. I am fine now, I walk outside alot.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    The boyfriend and I just broke up, so I've been D deficient for a while now.. Didn't realize it was so common... even among men! :laugh:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    KMasz wrote: »
    The boyfriend and I just broke up, so I've been D deficient for a while now.. Didn't realize it was so common... even among men! :laugh:

How you doin?? ;)

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Vitamin D deficiency when I was much heavier. I had no idea malabosrtion was linked with obesity. I'm still overweight, but haven't had as much of a problem since having lost the majority of my weight.
    I do make it a point to walk out in the backyard for a few minutes a few times a week for some high exspoure sunshine.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I take D-Drops (Canadian product). They have about 1000 micrograms per drop. Keeps my levels looking good.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize there was a link between D deficiency and fatigue. Hmm.

I was told to take D, but I never found a pill I was willing to take every day until I found these:

http://www.naturemade.com/specialty/adult-gummies/vitamin-d-adult-gummies#WUoslX5wyBWuehYI.97

Now, it's a pleasure to take them. :)
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The best thing i tell my patients that are slightly lower, is to take 2000 iu daily and if possible get liquid vitamin d.

My doc told me 2000 IU daily and liquid vitamin B complete drops. My d level was 18.