Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Bump...some good ideas here!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I feel like I eat pretty clean
    Check what is planned for June 1st 2011

you're getting TONS of protein but the only veggie I see is celery? :flowerforyou:

That's today....ultra low carb day. Check tomorrow.
    Also, I supplement my greens....Is that still clean?

What do you mean by supplement my greens? I did take a look at tomorrow's and I still don't see any green leafy veggies or much fruit. Our body needs food from all the food groups.....They offer vitamins and fiber. I realize you can get vitamins from a bottle but that's not really getting the full benefits out of the food groups. To me, clean eating is organic, non-processed foods from all the food groups.....but that's just me. I do admire your proteins though and I'm striving to get mine higher since I lift heavy weights. :flowerforyou:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Quinoa is a little nutty tasting... It can be used in any dish to replace rice... some people cook it in apple juice and eat it with fruit like oatmeal. It has about 8 grams of protein in a 1/4 cup...there are also rices with high protein like black forbidden rice or jade rice but they are pricier than the quinoa.

Sounds delish!!!!!!:)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    There are great heirloom and ancient grains on the market.... quinoa, amarath, millet... just to name a few... quinoa itself is 160 calories for 1/4 cup only 20 calories from fat and is a complete protein with essential amino acids...

Hope that helps... JJ
    what does quinoa taste like?
    I love quinoa. It's a bit of a chameleon. You can have it in place of rice, made into a salad with cucumber, red onion and tomato or for breakfast as a cereal with almond or rice milk, dried cranberries and almond slivers. It's fairly cheap too.

I try to eat as clean as possible. For me that means little to no processed foods. I make my own veggies burgers. Most of the time I cook my beans from scratch. I don't drink soda and rarely buy juice, although I do have a juicer and occasionally juice my own fruits and veg.

My diary is public. You'll see both my good and bad days. It's very filling.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you get a chance, read "Clean Eating" by Tosca Reno. Most healthy, common sense diet and lifestyle book I have ever read.

I second this.
  • ilikeflowers
    Options
    Theyre a great snack but make sure you dont over do it! Try for no more than 1/4 cup a day which is about 20 almonds max. The raw ones are best, and walnuts. I picked up some dry roasted garbanzo beans from an ethnic market and theyre tasty! I love salt and the garbanzo beans have salt and are better for me than my other weakness... tortilla chips. I bought an air pop popcorn maker to have instead of chips and I put Braggs nutritional yeast on it for B vitamins and flavor. Its inactive yeast so it doesnt mess with any yeast balance in the body. Im allergic to a bunch of things including yeasts and it doesnt even bother my Bubble Girl self :) I also get raw tofu and put sesame seeds on it and Braggs Liquid Amino's (gluten free healthy version of soy sauce) on top of fresh greens and veggies with pepper. Or a smoothie with a banana, strawberries, unsweetened almond milk, 1 tblsp honey and some tofu or protein mix and ice. If I want pasta I steam veggies and put tomato sauce on it with lean ground beef but no pasta :) I try to get my carbs for breakfast with Bobs Red Mill tasty hot oatmeal (gluten free) or steel cut oats with unsweetened chocolate almond milk, stevia and almonds. Measure cereals, its so easy to have 1-2 cups of cereal for breakfast which is very high in calories!
  • ilikeflowers
    Options
    There are great heirloom and ancient grains on the market.... quinoa, amarath, millet... just to name a few... quinoa itself is 160 calories for 1/4 cup only 20 calories from fat and is a complete protein with essential amino acids...

Hope that helps... JJ

So good too!!
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later reading.
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bumping for later.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This past weekend was urrrr not too great for eating healthy. Lets just put it that way. I really want to challenge myself this month, and try to "learn" healthier, cleaner eating habits. I have done pretty well so far. I no longer crave chips,sweets (besides chocolate) etc....So those of you that eat "clean", can you give me an idea of what you eat everyday? I know the obvious, fruit and veggies. But on a day I work out I eat up to 1800 calories, so I am curious to see how ya'll can eat that many cals eating clean!!!
    Well , clean for me , means this:
    1. no dipp fried foods
    2. no soft drinks -
    3. no alchool- if you want a drink , get a glass of a good wine (no hard stuff )
    4.as meat , only fish and sea food
    Yeah , I ocasionally eat them ( ones per month or less).
    The way that works for me is this : no " empty calories" , if I put some food in my body , I expect to do me some good ( vitamins , minerals , proteins , something). I do not go extreme : if I am at a party , I will try stuff ( less the meat) in moderation.
    I think balance is the word for clean eating . Oh , yeah , I try not to eat out . I cook my own food I can't afford good restaurants so .....I preffer to eat my food.
    Sometimes is kind of weird:) We went out for shopping and we stopped at Walmart . My husband was hungry so he had McDonald's . I went into Walmart and I got low fat yogurt and crakers( whole grains) I got 300 cals for my meal . he got 1000!
    He has a bigggggg tummy . I don't:))
  • britt8507
    britt8507 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I will be looking at some of your diaries to get some new ideas to eat .

Totally random but was does bump mean?
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I will be looking at some of your diaries to get some new ideas to eat .

Totally random but was does bump mean?

just something people will do to keep it on there 'list' to keep an eye on the thread or go back and read it when they have time
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean most of the time...
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Not sure of everyone's definition of "clean" but here are some things I eat besides fruit and veggies:

Almonds
    Walnuts
    Raw Oats
    Chicken Breast
    Turkey Breast
    Salmon
    Sushi w/ brown rice
    PB2
    Greek Yogurt
    Honey
    White Tea
    Hummus