loosing weight while sick

Options
For the past two days I've felt sick and have only consumed 900 calories each day and a lot was in drinks. I have lost 3.8 lbs since I've been sick. Will I gain the weight back when consuming the regular 1,400?

Replies

• 218Beth
    218Beth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My gallbladder decided to not like me in March. I was afraid to eat for the next few days after the first (and major) attack. I was pretty much living on broth and bagels. In about 2 weeks, I dropped 10 lbs. Over the next 4-6 weeks, I lost another 5. Then I had my gall bladder removed and was back to being afraid to eat while healing and lost another 5 lbs or so. I haven't put it back on. However, I wasn't counting calories before or during this. I'm working on it now because I don't want to put the weight back on. I do NOT recommend this method of losing weight to anyone by the way.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Some of it, yes, as it's a majority water weight
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    For the past two days I've felt sick and have only consumed 900 calories each day and a lot was in drinks. I have lost 3.8 lbs since I've been sick. Will I gain the weight back when consuming the regular 1,400?

You have eaten 1000 calories below maintenance which is about 0.29 pounds. Your body is probably burning a little more in order to fight off illness however I suspect it's not that much more - you are also probably more sedentary than normal so that might be a wash. So yes, you will gain some/most of it back.
  • YamiElisa
    YamiElisa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've just recovered from being sick for over a week - like yourself I was eating only perhaps 900-1000 cals per day and I lost about 1kg. I've now put about half of that back on in a few days, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly water weight. So I wouldn't worry too much if you do put it back on.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Maybe some, maybe not. Depends on how much is fat loss and how much is water or poop.

I admit that when my friend got the flu, I tried to catch it. I was two pounds from a Normal BMI and those dang pounds refused to come off for like six weeks. I went and sat with him for a bit. Like that silly joke about being one stomach virus away from goal, lol. I was so desperate to get those two pounds off, lol.

Patience. We just need more patience. In time, it will all come off.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

You have eaten 1000 calories below maintenance which is about 0.29 pounds. Your body is probably burning a little more in order to fight off illness however I suspect it's not that much more - you are also probably more sedentary than normal so that might be a wash. So yes, you will gain some/most of it back.

Agreed. Most of it is water, a little is fat. You will more than likely gain back the water but not the fat.
  • caventhompson12
    caventhompson12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah I Suppose I shouldn't be worried if some of the weight comes back. I will eventually loose that fat if I keep on eating right and continue to walk the track daily