Bored of the same low carb foods any other suggestions?

Options
In need to lose 40lbs for health reasons

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is the priority. You don't need low carb foods to get into a deficit. it certainly can help- but if you want some carbs in your life- by all means- have them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Olives, dill pickles, bacon, shrimp, deviled eggs, brie cheese, portobello mushrooms, show peas, sprouts.
    And buy some almond meal to make almond meal pancakes: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/r/lowcarbpancakes.htm
  • rochelleciara23
    rochelleciara23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I made regular pork rinds and melted butter and mixed Splenda with cinnamon and sprinkled it all over. It was amazing and no carbs at all! It reminded me of eating cinnamon twists from Taco Bell!
  • rohitbabaji89
    rohitbabaji89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a lot of Lima beans , lentils and chickpeas. Though they are not very low in carbohydrates but they have adequate amount to keep you functioning.
    Also get some chicken breasts , put them in a slow cooker and let them boil. Pack them in the freezer for next week. Add vegetables and make amazing salads. Do remember to reply more on mustard as a dressing. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is that you either open your diary or tell us what you're eating now :-)
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    My suggestion is that you either open your diary or tell us what you're eating now :-)

Pretty much what I was going to ask.

What are you eating now? Why are you low carb?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters that it's hard to provide new ideas for low carb foods without knowing what the old foods are. Also, are you looking for new ingredients or recipes?

The American Diabetes Association has a recipes section on their site.
    http://www.diabetes.org/mfa-recipes/recipes/

There are many sites with low carb recipes. In fact, most any recipe site is likely to have a low carb section.

As far as ingredients, meat/seafood/eggs and non-starchy vegetables are going to be your best bets. Berries are low sugar. There are several low carb wraps available to make sandwich wraps or burritos/tacos.
  • bigtone89
    bigtone89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sardines and kipper snacks!
  • Missy19772015
    Missy19772015 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs before on low carb diet so I'm going to try it again. I work two jobs one after another with lots of walking through out the day, now I need to start eating better and planing out meals, but really hard when I go from one job to another and both jobs have chips and candy bars and other bad things I can just easily grab :/ any suggestions?
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The yo-yo effect of these fad diets is not something you want to be a part of. What's the yo-yo effect? It's essentially what happens to your basal metabolic rate when you drop weight too fast & (in-theory) put it back on (relatively) quickly sometimes even more than you lose. What happens over-time is your metabolism *kitten* on you. I would be careful and take on a slower MORE SUSTAINABLE approach to weight-loss rather than just adopting a temporary LC diet (low carb). Find your TDEE and eat at around a 20% deficit - for starters.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A low carb diet is not a "fad" diet. Honestly, most people are too weak to handle it, so it gets knocked as such. Low carb and ketogenic ways of eating have been studied over the past century to aid and cure a variety of health ailments that are usually brought on by overeating on a diet rich in carbohydrates. To call it a fad diet is quite ignorant, and is quite the cop-out. Most ancient civilizations' diets around the world actually were very low carb in the winters, when fruits just didn't grow, and many of them were actually far superior in health than modern society. They were just more susceptible to death by infectious disease and wars.
  • bigtone89
    bigtone89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    beef jerky
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs before on low carb diet so I'm going to try it again. I work two jobs one after another with lots of walking through out the day, now I need to start eating better and planing out meals, but really hard when I go from one job to another and both jobs have chips and candy bars and other bad things I can just easily grab :/ any suggestions?

I do the same thing right now, work and live around junk food. I need less variety in foods than most people. Basically, I eat as fattened a breakfast as possible, and I find that I have greatest control that way. I can fast about 10-12 hours with full control over temptation if I eat over 70% fat for breakfast and eat a huge amount.

Of course, I am blessed with the body of a god, and keto-adaptation comes easy for me (how the body transitions to using fat cells for fuel). Your results may vary. But if you work a lot, this method may help you. Just think: how awesome would it be to not have to take lunch with you to work, while not having to buy anything? :-)