What counts as thin?

Options
124»

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yeah, but there's honesty and there's brutal honesty! I don't want to be lied to, but something like 'You look great and you're doing really well, but you're not skinny' or something would have been fine. Even 'You're doing well but you still have a bit to go' would have been better than 'You are not a thin person' lol.

If he knew your mother was freaking you out calling you skinny then he probably thought he was giving you the answer you wanted. This is the classic no win situation for your boyfriend.

That's exactly what I'm saying. This is how I imagine this conversation...

OP: My mom told me I'm on the slim side of thin? [frown face] Do you think I'm thin?
    BF: [frown face = bad. This one is easy--I know how to respond!] You are not thin.
    OP: [bigger frown face]
    BF: ?

I would feel that is a insecurity issue though. Also family members are really honest. You should be able to do the same in a relationship.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    As they say, it's subjective, but I personally would call you slim.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Jamloche wrote: »
    Question: Do scales in the UK actually give weight in "stones" or does one have to do the math in one's head? As an American, don't I have the God-given Right to not have to multiply and/or divide by 14 (stone) or 2.2 (kg) just to understand what the rest of the world is talking about? I'll have to check our long list of God-given American Rights, but I'm sure that's in there somewhere.

Bahahaaha!!! I am so with you!
  • Haegar62
    Haegar62 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would says how do you feel in your body, what other thing is something we cannot do anything about only what we feel our self.
    The weight is just a number and it is more important how does it feel to you. not looking in mirror just close your eyes and feel if you feel that you are to heavy loose some if not stay and try and keep where you are.
    Good luck and when a man say you are cuddly it means you are the right for him.
    I for my sake need a woman that have something to hold on to not a stick ( joke ladies)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think thin and slim are vague terms. People of the same height and BMI can look pretty different. What looks perfect weight for one person and what looks too thin on another person can depend on their build. Individuals have different thoughts and emotional baggage on what appearance is attractive to them. Words like slim, thin, cuddly mean different things to different people. To me the words slim and thin are not different things.
    My dh has found me attractive at vastly different weights. I have wondered how that can be but I did not find him less attractive 30 lbs heavier either. I didn't even really notice he had lost 20 lbs.
    I do know that I feel the lower end of the healthy BMI range looks and feels too thin for me so I have my goal set for the middle to top of the range.
    Don't ask anyone but yourself or your doctor if you are the right weight for you.
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    DeborahKilpatrick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies and encouraging comments. I know it was a bit of a strange question, but it's hard to view yourself objectively and I wanted to ask it in what is largely a supportive, safe forum, where it's ok to ask 'silly' questions. And yes, I get that I was putting my partner in an awkward (impossible!) position by asking him that - but for the guy who questioned my 'partnering skills', you don't know anything about me or my relationship, so you don't have any right to be so judgemental.