Will having 300 - 1000 calories help losing weight?

Options
Iceblinks490
Iceblinks490 Posts: 17 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi.
I am new to this app and it seems really great.

I am 19 years old, 6ft tall and weight 16.7 stone. This is due to not being active, eating junk and drinking fizzy pop and sitting all day at work.

I have completely stopped drinking pop/juice and replaced it with water. Yesterday for breakfast I had an boiled egg and a carrot and for dinner I had some chicken and veg.

Today I am currently on minus calories as I have had 2 crackers and some houmous. I also did a run that burned the calories I gain from eating.

Will I eventually lose weight? How much in how long? And is there any tips you guys can give me?

Thanks!:D

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Tip one: eat more. That diet isn't sustainable.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about having a 300-1000 calorie deficit or is that the amount you're actually eating for the day?

If that is the amount you are eating for the day, that is alarmingly low.

Enter your stats into mfp, select 1 pound a week weight loss and stick to that number. Invest in a food scale if you don't have one already to help with your portions.

You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    My tip, read these stickies because you're going about this sort of wrong.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • Haegar62
    Haegar62 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    log your data and take a small weight loss and see how you feel eating something like 1600 cal if it feels ok try 100 less and see how it feels an give it at least 3-4 weeks, starving will loose you weight but after you eat it back double probably.
    So take it slow and easy.
    And feel good is more important
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Starving yourself is not the answer to your weight problem.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You'll lose a little, but then you'll hit a point where the starvation kicks in and forces a binge. People who binge don't generally do it on healthy food items, either. So, even when you take in calories, you won't really be nourishing your body. And he fat will pile back on.

It's going to take a long time to lose all that weight, so consider doing it the smart way - the way that can last.

300 calories just cannot be kept up.

Be smart. See a doctor and a dietitian. Log your food. Plan to log and stick to the program for a long time.

These crash diets - they can't last. They're fine for people who like to lose and gain the same five or ten pounds pounds for a hobby, but they're not the smart way for someone who is serious about losing a lot of weight to get it done.
  • craig441
    craig441 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not being funny mate, but are you crazy ? Done ANY research ?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Limiting yourself to between 300-1000 calories per day in order to lose weight is considered an eating disorder.

You didn't gain weight overnight, and you're not going to lose it overnight, either. Talk to a doctor. Talk to a dietician. Stick to a moderate deficit (you don't have THAT much weight to lose, and you're still pretty young) and move more and you can do it!
  • Iceblinks490
    Iceblinks490 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much research no. How about if I make it less than 1000 but over 900? Just keep it in that range.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?

Height?
    Current weight?
    How much are you looking to lose?
    How active are you?
  • awkwardunknown
    awkwardunknown Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    R.I.P !!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much research no. How about if I make it less than 1000 but over 900? Just keep it in that range.

Probably still not enough (unless you have some major health issues or are in a coma).

Try this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No. You need 1500 minimum, and going by your age and height, probably a lot more than that.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My tip, read these stickies because you're going about this sort of wrong.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Agree, this.
    You just need to educate yourself on proper diet and nutrition. You still need to fuel your body while you lose weight. don't eat below 1200 cal.

edited.... 1500 cal minimum for men.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    dont eat less than 1200 calories. enter your info into mfp it should tell you how much to eat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    dont eat less than 1200 calories. enter your info into mfp it should tell you how much to eat.

OP is male, so 1200 is below the recommended minimum for him
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a dangerous eating disorder. Nothing I'd recommed.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

You should probably do some research then!

1200 is the recommended 'lowest' amount of calories for a woman to help meet all your nutritional needs (obviously you need to eat a balanced diet with that, 1200 calories worth of doughnuts won't do you any good).

And even then, a lot of people find it difficult to stick to 1200 calories as it is still considered low. Trust me, you try and stick to under 1200 calories per day, you will find you have zero energy, little focus, and at some point your resolve will snap and you will binge, probably undoing all the weight you would have lost anyway. It's a vicious cycle.

Log your stats into MFP and follow the guidelines and calorie goal it gives you.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

How about you use MFP's recommended calories for losing .5 to 1 lb per week? Your plan is not healthy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Dude, if you seriously want to lose the weight, go see the doctor and a dietitian. Or at least follow the MFP program.

Crash dieting is not the rational, reasonable way to go.
This discussion has been closed.