Bad running day

Options
Let me start off by saying that my bad running day was preceded by a bad food week! I had a week of bad eating from both my birthday and memorial day, but I don't want to fall back into my old habits, so I'm trying to get back to watching my calories. I also haven't ran in 4 days, but the last time I ran, I jogged a little over 3 miles.

For some reason, my whole body has been sore the the past 2 days. Especially my right leg. I'm think it's from sitting in my desk chair for too long? It could also do with my body's reaction to poor food choices. Anyway, I tried to go running today and my leg was killing me. I was only able to run for about 20 minutes, and I had to take a couple walk breaks because of the soreness.

I hate that I couldn't run more, and I feel like I didn't get a true workout. Has anyone ever had any problems like mine? I'm guessing the soreness will go away with time. I'm going to try to stay on my feet the rest of the day and go running again tomorrow morning. I have a 5k coming up and want to start training for a half marathon over the summer, so any running motivation/advice regarding bad running days would be great.

Thanks!

Replies

• smanj12
    smanj12 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have definitely had those days. In my case, a bad running day is usually on a day when I didn't get enough sleep. Don't worry about it, get some rest, ice your leg, and try again tomorrow.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    For me it was a stress fracture. I continued to run on it for a week before I finally got it checked out. Dumb dumb dumb.
    Don't be like me.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, when it's good it's great and when it's bad it totally shakes your confidence. Just get back on the horse and you will see things will turn up! I found that the best runs I have are when I don't feel like it and I'm tired. Somehow it works out that way!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I think you first of all have to accept that some days your body will just not feel right and that it is better to slow down, alternate run/walk, etc. that day and try again the next day. I think you also have to analyze if it is a mental problem or actual physical problem. Sometimes I am thinking "wow my shins hurt" but when I distract myself with a song or something, I realize it was all mental and not physical. Also, specific to your running this day, have you been stretching? It could be some kind of muscle spasm from not running then running w/o stretching? I agree that it may be partly due to the poor eating the past few days as well. Walking is probably a good idea, mixed in with stretching. Drink lots of water and try again. Just remember that you have a goal in mind, a running schedule to stick to, and that you can't achieve your goal if you don't get out there and run--maybe that will help!
  • Lizabet34
    Lizabet34 Posts: 1
    Options
    Same situation here, right down to the birthday over memorial weekend. I have found that when I take a break from running, the first one after the break absolutely sucks, but then once that is out of the way, the next run is much better. Just be sure to stretch, drink lots of water, and see how the next one goes. Happy birthday!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days, hang in there. I find my bad days are always preceeded by an overall off week. Sunday, I had one of these - bad time, bad surface, chased by dogs who's owner threatened to shoot me, ran out of water - it just sucked. But, I knew it was a One Day thing - I ran on Tuesday, one of my best runs ever. The conditions were better, sleep had been better, food choices better.

Make sure you are stretching which can help in those areas of soreness - you could also be overtraining - a bad day is a way of your body to tell you to take a break too. Only you can really tell. I've always used the rule - if the pain wakes me up in the night, it's time to back it down a little.

Pick up your pieces and keep moving!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    That was me yesterday! Went camping for 5 days eating crud food the entire time and lots of beers, plus no running for a week! Yesterday, I really didn't want to run, because I knew it would be bad, but pushed myself and pushed through the run and it was actually good. You just need to get back into the swing of things. It will be all good and probably only take a couple of days.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've had a few of these lately and I attribute them sort of to bad nutrition before the run and that its hotter out now. Can't do much about the weather unless you belong to a gym and can go inside or run earlier or later. Nutrition I decided to make sure I find what works and go with it. For me it is some oatmeal and a couple eggs about an hour before. Good luck and keep at it!
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had those kinds of days all to often! Chances are this is only due to sitting and/or bad food choices. I've had problems with soreness if I have excess sodium and I swell up from fluid retention. Take a rest day and try again. If it keeps up, make sure you don't have an injury.

Good luck with your training. I'm doing a half marathon this Saturday - it's probably my favorite distance.
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i think with running, as with everything else, you have good days and you have bad days. The key is don't sweat it, just soldier on. I had one yesterday. I was unable to finish a trail that i've become comfortable running. Was it the heat? diet? time of day? who knows, i could attribute it to any number of things...just a bad running day.

regarding your leg pain...do you use a running log? If so, log your aches and pains. i think it's helpful to see trends.
  • helvetikat
    helvetikat Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great advice! I stretched out my muscles yesterday, got a good sleep last night, and was able to easily run a nice 3 mile run today! :)