Ice Hockey

Options
I play ice hockey. If I'm playing three periods at 20 minutes each, that's a total of 60 minutes. However, I'm probably skating for half that time. Therefore, would I put 30 minutes as a cardio workout or 60?

Thanks, RawCollop

Replies

• bighey75
    bighey75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fellow hockey player here... I used to just put in the total time... we play 15 minute periods, I entered 45 minutes on my log. That said, I'be been tracking the games with a Polar Loop (with heart rate monitor) lately, and the MFP calories are literally half of what the HRM is tracking. Dunno if that helps or not.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It would be 1/2 time at best. If you're using the MFP estemations, I'd probably go lower than that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bighey75 wrote: »
    Fellow hockey player here... I used to just put in the total time... we play 15 minute periods, I entered 45 minutes on my log. That said, I'be been tracking the games with a Polar Loop (with heart rate monitor) lately, and the MFP calories are literally half of what the HRM is tracking. Dunno if that helps or not.

I wouldn't hold much stock in that since HRM are only effective for steady state cardio.

I would put the amount of time you play as MFP tends to overestimate calories burned.
  • RawCollop
    RawCollop Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks gents. I'm sort of agreeing with putting the time I actually play. The only one that benefits from my conservatism is me.