Getting hungry at the same times each day

Options
So I've been following IIFYM, or flexible dieting, for almost a year(1 year in September). I also run on the treadmill 4 days a week and lift 4 days a week as well. It seems lately that I get hungry at the same times every day. I eat breakfast between 7 and 8 am each day, and I always get hungry around 10 am. Then I eat lunch at about 12 pm and I get hungry again between 3 and 4 pm. I work out in the afternoons which is around 5:45 or 6 pm, then dinner is sometimes around 7:30 or 8 pm. Is this normal? I am not actively losing pounds right now, I've recently lost inches but gained weight on the scale, but it is like 7 pounds in 4 days, so I'm hoping it is excess fluid. I had someone tell me that I was possibly getting hungry more often because I've changed how I exercise (the running). Any suggestions are appreciated. Like most people, I don't like criticism but constructive critics are most welcome!

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    For me it is normal yes,
    Think it is different for everybody

But i fixed it for me with eating 3 meals a day and have 2 snack times. And when i need more i eat more. Its more a healthy appetite i think
    But i always stay within my calorie range.

Because i know this, i pre-log my days that way.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty normal. That's probably how breakfast, lunch and dinner times got picked. :)

Even if it wasn't normal, though, if it works for you, go with it! Whatever works! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Selena125t wrote: »
    So I've been following IIFYM, or flexible dieting, for almost a year(1 year in September). I also run on the treadmill 4 days a week and lift 4 days a week as well. It seems lately that I get hungry at the same times every day. I eat breakfast between 7 and 8 am each day, and I always get hungry around 10 am. Then I eat lunch at about 12 pm and I get hungry again between 3 and 4 pm. I work out in the afternoons which is around 5:45 or 6 pm, then dinner is sometimes around 7:30 or 8 pm. Is this normal? I am not actively losing pounds right now, I've recently lost inches but gained weight on the scale, but it is like 7 pounds in 4 days, so I'm hoping it is excess fluid. I had someone tell me that I was possibly getting hungry more often because I've changed how I exercise (the running). Any suggestions are appreciated. Like most people, I don't like criticism but constructive critics are most welcome!

I'm not sure what you are asking--is it normal that you tend to be hungry at the same times or whether it's normal that you are getting hungry at those time given when you eat. The answer to both is yes, I just want to understand so I can be more helpful.

Is the hunger new? If so, are the workouts new (sounds like you just added the running)?

I find that when I'm used to eating at certain times I will be hungry at those times until I get out of the habit of eating then. I also find that I will be hungry mid afternoon (I also have a long time between lunch at around noon and dinner, which I don't eat until 9 usually) if I follow my usual workout schedule (I sometimes workout in the morning, sometimes just before dinner). What I've done is added in a late afternoon snack. (I have better pre-dinner workouts when I do this, especially if it's weights.)

Some people seem to do better on schedules with more frequent, smaller meals and some like larger less frequent meals, so if the hunger at 10 am is bothering you, you could try breaking up lunch or breakfast so you could eat something then.

Are you trying to lose? Sounds like you were at maintenance and have changed by adding in the running, so your maintenance calories should be okay if the idea is to start losing again. It might just be getting used to something different.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Do you eat only 3 meals a day? Maybe you should look into fitting in a snack somewhere to help with the hunger.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Usually when people are hungry well before lunch it's because their breakfasts aren't big enough or don't have enough protein/fat/fiber. But your last two breakfasts were quite substantial.

Are you hungry at 10 every single day? Maybe note the relationship between what you had for breakfast and your mid-morning hunger.

I've found an 800 calorie breakfast doesn't keep me fuller much longer than a 400 calorie breakfast - in order to increase your deficit and start losing weight again, maybe try eating smaller meals and continuing your mid-morning snack.

But yes, the 7 pound gain could be temporary and related to a number of issues, including being premenstrual or ovulating.

This assumes your food logging is accurate - I see hundreds of calories left over many days - is this accurate? Sometimes the end of day is harder for me to log and I have to do little reminder things to make sure it all goes in, which is often the next day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I always get hungry at 3 pm. Doesn't matter what I ate or if I just did - 3 pm BAM! Hunger time. Other than adding in a snack at those times, I've got nothing other than "me too".
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My hunger/food routines depend on the day of the week. Mon-Fri = desk job, and I'm hungry mid-morning. Sat/Sun I am busier, and tend to eat bigger meals/fewer snacks.

Then there is always the matter of identifying if its really hunger or if you're just bored/used to eating at a certain time. Sometimes its hard to tell the difference...
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Those are my regularly scheduled feeding times almost to a tee. You could try (as I do) to plan for snacks at these times that you can eat when you get the hunger signal. I have about a 140 calorie snack at 10am and 2pm. It works well for me. Healthy fats, protein and fiber will help keep your fuller longer as well.

You said in your post that you are not "actively losing weight right now" does that mean you can't or aren't trying to?
  • Selena125t
    Selena125t Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Those are my regularly scheduled feeding times almost to a tee. You could try (as I do) to plan for snacks at these times that you can eat when you get the hunger signal. I have about a 140 calorie snack at 10am and 2pm. It works well for me. Healthy fats, protein and fiber will help keep your fuller longer as well.

You said in your post that you are not "actively losing weight right now" does that mean you can't or aren't trying to?

I am actively trying...yes very much so, but I haven't been able to get the scale to move down and when it does...it only stays low for a day or two and then it shoots way up.
    I try to do a snack at 10 am of around 150 calories or so and then have a yogurt at the 3-4 pm mark.
  • Selena125t
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Usually when people are hungry well before lunch it's because their breakfasts aren't big enough or don't have enough protein/fat/fiber. But your last two breakfasts were quite substantial.

Are you hungry at 10 every single day? Maybe note the relationship between what you had for breakfast and your mid-morning hunger.

I've found an 800 calorie breakfast doesn't keep me fuller much longer than a 400 calorie breakfast - in order to increase your deficit and start losing weight again, maybe try eating smaller meals and continuing your mid-morning snack.

But yes, the 7 pound gain could be temporary and related to a number of issues, including being premenstrual or ovulating.

This assumes your food logging is accurate - I see hundreds of calories left over many days - is this accurate? Sometimes the end of day is harder for me to log and I have to do little reminder things to make sure it all goes in, which is often the next day.

It's weird, but yes I am actually leaving calories over some days...once I get dinner around 8, if it is not all of my calories then I have a hard time eating more because I am trying to get to bed no later than 9:30 and I can just imagine going to bed on a full stomach....maybe I'll have to start drinking a protein shake to make up for those left over calories?
    I am hungry every day at 10 and between 3-4 pm...it's funny because that's how I can tell what time it is...I'll feel the hunger pangs and then I glance up and it'll be 9:57...it's so crazy. Yes, I am trying to have larger breakfasts so I don't eat very heavy at night, "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper" type of mentality if I can...not always successful, sometimes lunch and dinner switch places.
  • Selena125t
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm not sure what you are asking--is it normal that you tend to be hungry at the same times or whether it's normal that you are getting hungry at those time given when you eat. The answer to both is yes, I just want to understand so I can be more helpful.

Is the hunger new? If so, are the workouts new (sounds like you just added the running)?

I find that when I'm used to eating at certain times I will be hungry at those times until I get out of the habit of eating then. I also find that I will be hungry mid afternoon (I also have a long time between lunch at around noon and dinner, which I don't eat until 9 usually) if I follow my usual workout schedule (I sometimes workout in the morning, sometimes just before dinner). What I've done is added in a late afternoon snack. (I have better pre-dinner workouts when I do this, especially if it's weights.)

Some people seem to do better on schedules with more frequent, smaller meals and some like larger less frequent meals, so if the hunger at 10 am is bothering you, you could try breaking up lunch or breakfast so you could eat something then.

Are you trying to lose? Sounds like you were at maintenance and have changed by adding in the running, so your maintenance calories should be okay if the idea is to start losing again. It might just be getting used to something different.

yes, I am trying to lose, I am about 15 pounds from my goal weight. I wasn't eating at maintenance calories per se, my body just wasn't dropping any weight, I am thinking of bumping up to maintenance for a little while just to switch things up and then drop back down in a month. I know that it doesn't take much to squelch the hunger I get, a handful of nuts, a container of yogurt, but I've recently been told that i need to make those snacks more protein than carbs so I've started doing things like protein bars, shakes, or even turkey pepperoni.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I always get hungry at 3 pm. Doesn't matter what I ate or if I just did - 3 pm BAM! Hunger time.

Ooooh, 3 PM. The witching hour.

This is my typical weekday:

*wake up starving*

Breakfast as close to 10 AM as I can push it.
    Lunch: 12:30-1
    Snack: 3:00

Between 3 and 6 PM it's either, "I'm going to eat my arm off" or "meh, food...I could take it or leave it". :D
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fooling your tummy with a load of water first? I do that and wait a bit, it usually passes but if you're still hungry - eat. Then you will be able to have lunch a bit later which could mean you can forego the afternoon snack?? Worth a go maybe? This strategy has worked for me as I no longer get hungry between meals, whereas before I always needed a mid-morn and mid-aft snack x
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm always hungry at those times. I eat 3 main meals, 3 snacks all within my calorie allotment so I can make it through those hunger pangs.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I am a creature of habit, and I tend to eat at the same times every day. I don't see anything wrong with that. I find it helpful to pre-log a whole day of meals/snacks ahead of time. This morning I already knew and logged each meal and snack, so I can look forward to my 3pm snack and my after dinner dessert. Sometimes just KNOWING what I have in store for me can tide me over a bit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I get hungry at the same time of the day as well...8am, 11:30, 4pm and again about 8.

I drink eat breakfast at 8, drink water until noon and eat lunch but I do have a snack at about 4pm as I can't wait until 5;30 or 6pm to eat esp if I am working out at 5.

I snack at 8pm as well...usually whatever calories I have left.