Why does MFP add cals burned to daily allowance?

Topic. Just curious as to why it adds the calories you burn through exercise to your daily limit? I have a 1600 cal limit and have eaten breakfast and lunch already. When U put in my exercise (600cals) It says ive still got 1000+ to go for the day.

I thought the point of loosing weight is to burn more than you consume... Im not at that point yet but still.

Im 22
5'9
241lbs
Set to loose 2lbs a week (this is my first week)

Thanks!

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Your 1600 limit is meant for a day when you aren't active. That way you'll know what to eat on a day when you don't get a chance to exercise at all (for whatever reason).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    The goal MFP gives you is without exercise. So when it says to eat 1600 calories, they expect that you're burning 2600 calories through day-to-day activities and basic bodily functions. If you burn 600 calories through exercise, you're now at a 3200 burn for the day. To keep your deficit the same and fuel your body, you're expected to eat those calories back. The caveat here is that oftentimes we overestimate what we burn, so many will only eat 50-75% of those back.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    It adds the exercise calories because they aren't taken into consideration when calculating your daily goal. Those are added because your deficit is already built in and too high of a deficit can cause issues with losing weight and muscle mass along the way.

With MFP calculated exercise calories, I eat back 50 to 75% of them. With my FitBit or my heart rate monitor, I eat back all of them some days.
  • XRocker15
    XRocker15 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the responses. Ive only just started and I plan to go to the gym and do an hour of cardio 3 days a week. Then 1 day do some weights for an hour with a friend. I usually leave the gym covered in sweat
    Is this enough to start dropping the pounds?
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    XRocker15 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. Ive only just started and I plan to go to the gym and do an hour of cardio 3 days a week. Then 1 day do some weights for an hour with a friend. I usually leave the gym covered in sweat

If you're in a calorie deficit, yes.

• XRocker15
    So if my goal cals is 1600. I would have to burn >1600 cals a day to lose weight ?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    As long as you maintain a deficit, you can lose weight.
    How fast you lose is based on overall deficit.
    Exercise brings health benefits, and can also help you achieve a deficit.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    You burn calories just by being alive - they don't need to be burned in the gym.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    So if my goal cals is 1600. I would have to burn >1600 cals a day to lose weight ?

You already burn plenty throughout the day by working, running errands, socializing, taking care of the house/kids, cooking.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    You should read up on BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) to get a clearer idea of how many net calories to strive for. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    You just need to not go over 1600 calories net. MFP has picked the 1600 based on your input of height, weight, activity level, and weight loss goals. It'll start you with 1600 available from food, and if you exercise, you've now burned off some calories, so you can eat a little more. Calories burned estimations here are a bit on the generous side, so some people don't eat back their exercise calories, or only eat back 50% of them.
  • XRocker15
    Thanks for the advice guys. I just dont have an active lifestyle really. I drive for work and I stay at home most nights programming or working on the computer. Eating chicken and veggies and turkey sandwiches for a day is a huge difference from fast food everyday and 80oz of regular soda.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member

If you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Also, sweating is not an accurate view of calories burned or if you would be losing weight as sweating is water loss, not fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Topic. Just curious as to why it adds the calories you burn through exercise to your daily limit? I have a 1600 cal limit and have eaten breakfast and lunch already. When U put in my exercise (600cals) It says ive still got 1000+ to go for the day.

I thought the point of loosing weight is to burn more than you consume... Im not at that point yet but still.

Im 22
    5'9
    241lbs
    Set to loose 2lbs a week (this is my first week)

Thanks!

If MFP gave you a goal of 1600 for 2 lb/week, it means that based on the information you gave it, it has calculated that you burn 2600 calories just from being alive/daily activity and before exercise. Exercise would increase your burn ABOVE 2600 calories, so it adjusts the calorie goal to add to the 1600 to keep your deficit at the 2 lb/week, as 1-2 lb/week is considered a safe deficit and more than that generally isn't recommended unless you are really big, have more to lose than you do, or are on a doctor-supervised plan.

A couple of things to beware of, though: sometimes MFP overestimates calories burned in exercise, so a lot of people only eat back half, and if you put in your activity rate as something other than sedentary or lightly active BECAUSE of your exercise you would be counting it twice. It's only suppose to cover non-exercise activity.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    You told MFP what you estimate is your baseline level of activity (sedentary, moderate, whatever words they use). MFP uses this and height/weight/age data to estimate what your daily calorie intake should be to maintain that weight and then...

You told MFP how fast you want to lose weight. So MFP subtracts the deficit you need each day, to achieve the desired weight loss rate.

The calorie target you are given is for the calories to consume to lose weight at your desired rate of weight loss (or gain, for muscle-builders). It is not the calories you need to maintain your current weight.

Since the deficit is already built into your target number, you just have to hit the target, not aim far below it. Since the target assumes you are only as active as you told MFP, any activity above your normal everyday background activity represents extra calories that you can either eat (to maintain your target rate of weight loss), or not eat (to get a faster rate of weight loss than you set as your goal).

Since most people set their MFP weight-loss rate to be healthy and live-able long-term, most people "eat back" their exercise calories, knowing they will stay on track for their weight loss if they do. This allows people to lose weight without quite so much food restriction and hunger.

(In addition to allowing you extra calories to eat, long, slow, fat-burning rates of exercise tend to suppress appetite, which also helps you stay on your calorie targets because you are less hungry.)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Drink only water or unsweetened tea. Go easy on the bread, sandwich sounds healthy but the bread and God forbid mayo adds a lot of calories and carbs. Switch to mustard and use a low carb wrap to reduce bread consumption. I even splurge and put some costco guacamole on it. If you get out and get one hour of activity in it will do wonders. I love to eat and my exercise gives me the room to eat. Of course I tend to run 4 to 6 miles a day just for that reward but it works for me. Remember it the deficit that counts.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I just dont have an active lifestyle really. I drive for work and I stay at home most nights programming or working on the computer. Eating chicken and veggies and turkey sandwiches for a day is a huge difference from fast food everyday and 80oz of regular soda.

Especially for those trying to maintain a deficit I highly recommend setting to sedentary and not eating back any exercise calories - you may want to try and eat back protein as a defense from losing your muscle mass.

Here's the math - ~3500kcals/lb of fat. Maintaining a caloric deficit of 500kcals/day (7x500=3500) will get you~ 1lb loss/week. Note that none of this in linear, so some weeks you may lose more, some less.

Also important to note that nutritional labeling has a 20% degree of error, so if you're not losing, check you entries carefully and ensure you are logging everything.

You're on the right path, just keep focused long term.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Great comments!
    I too was confused about this.
    You mean if I exercise, I get to eat more?

YES!
    lz6xkrbf752j.jpg
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member

No. Just by eating 1600 calories/day and doing your normal routine, without additional exercise will allow you to lose weight. These calories keep you alive and healthy. You will lose weight because you programmed an amount into MFP (ie: lose 1 lb/week). MFP did the calculations for you and came up with 1600 calories per day.
    Added exercise needs to be fueled so that you maintain your nutrients and keep your body healthy. Therefore, MFP adds your exercise calories to your day. One thing to keep in mind is that MFP is considered to be generous with the exercise calories. Most people only eat 50-75% of their exercise calories back.
    You'll see. It works. You don't have to starve and you'll lose weight safely and in a healthful manner.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    If you use an activity-monitoring device like polar or fit-bit, or a phone app like Runkeeper, the exercise calories sent to MFP by these programs tend to be more accurate than the ones you get using the MFP database and entering the duration of your activity.