The Potato: Friend or Foe?

Options
12346»

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this AM was a baked potato cup w/ egg, cheese, bacon & scallion!
    kqvyihbp96dz.jpg

Also a big fan of diced & baked homefries!

That definitely looks friendly! I wasn't even hungry, but I could totally go for that!
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Friend. Best friend indeed! Preferably baked with some butter & baby leaf salad...must go and cook now :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm never sure where most people stand on potatos. I eat them on a regular basis. They're an excellent source of potassium, which I was low on, have many other vitamins and minerals...and they taste good (IMO, anyway.) I like the sweet potato, but give me an Idaho any time and I'll take that.

Where stand you on our friend (or enemy?) the potato?

I come from a family where meat and potatoes are standard fare, so it took me a long time to think beyond that way of eating, especially French fries. I see them as a great additive for recipes (squash, Vidalia onion, potatoes, and a little butter makes a great hash!), and sweet potatoes are just wonderful. Therefore, I vote friend!
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love spuds, all kinds and grow and eat loads of them. Jacket potatoes are one of my favourite meals plus very good for when I'm on a budget.

Homemade Pommes Duchesse are always in my freezer :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    They are obviously a friend, because they make potato chips which I love.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Love them. Made hasselback potatoes last night. Best parts of chips, home fries, and baked potatoes all in one.

I want a recipe for that potato cup egg thing.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    nanniek1 wrote: »
    Potatoes are very nutrient dense, especially the skin. It's what you put on them that makes them icky for you. Salsa, veggies sautéed in broth or a small amount of cheese on them can replace the sour cream and bacon you may be used to.

Note sure what icky means. . .some people celebrate icky. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kABeR8NJSQ

For the win.
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    POTATOES really does help me with my carbohydrates macros= LOVE POTATOES,Build some muscle MASS with them :D
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Definitely a friend... but a distant friend. One I call maybe once or twice a month to fill in on my life. ;)

I have an endocrine disorder and carbs have to be chosen wisely for me or they're just stored as fat. My setup works really well for me health and wellness-wise so I don't see myself incorporating potatoes back into my diet more than sparingly. For those who can fit it into their calorie goals and still see results, go for it!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't eat many potatoes because I just don't like them. Except roast potatoes. Roasted in goose fat. Yeahhh, I can't afford that calorifically very often!
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Love them! Don't eat them every day but both sweet and regular taters are yummy. The other day I made roasted accordion potatoes with rosemary and clarified butter; slightly indulgent but freakin delicious.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Best friends forever. I love all potatoes from sweet to baby red ones. I eat them multiple times a week.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was going to make chicken cacciatore tonight but now I want twice baked potatoes and steak. I guess I'll have to hit Sprouts again.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I offeneded some people once when I compared a sweet potato to a white potato. They wanted to argue the sweet was healthier. I mean yeah it didn't look like it had a cold or anything, but why demonize the white potato.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Definitely friend ... but we only catch up infrequently.
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good friend.