Ideas for keeping my family satisfied while i'm on the diet?

Options
Hi, so because I am the cook in my family of 8, I usually have to cook very large portions with recipes that aren't the healthiest. (I.e pastas and stuff) This is because the youngins in the family hate anything remotely healthy which is where the problem with my weight loss is. How can I still make all the dishes that they love while trying to eat healthier myself? It's very difficult for me to cook a dish for myself after cooking all their food as well as resisting the delicious pastas ans etc.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Www.skinnytaste.com - very family friendly pastas, chili, casseroles, etc
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make what you always do and eat less of it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

that.

i dont cook any different than i ever have
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You could just eat less or you could get the kids to start eating healthier. Maybe if you got them involved with selecting the veggies and helping to cook them, they'd be more likely to try them? A lot of kids are eager to taste the things they made or helped to make.

Good luck! Kids are tough on veggies! :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Yeah. It doesn't have to be some big ordeal.

• heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do simple swaps... For example, tonight I'm making spaghetti with meat sauce... I add tons of tiny diced veggies to the sauce (bell peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini...) and boil spaghetti noodles for everyone else, but I roast a half a spaghetti squash for me... Last night we had grilled chicken with sautéed veggies and roasted potatoes... I gave my kids lots of potatoes because they love them, but I just ate the chicken and veggies... Just serve your family what you're eating with some small modifications... They shouldn't be eating crap anyway. If they get hungry enough, and healthy food is all that's offered, eventually they'll get over themselves and eat it.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Cook what you like, if the youngins don't like it then don't force them. Eventually they'll get hungry enough to eat what you make. Don't make "diet" food just for yourself, make it a lifestyle change for you and the kids in your family.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything unhealthy about pasta. Just watch your portion size.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    So your serving your kids food that isn't good enough for you to eat?

Maybe change that? Not a parent but I do realise kids are picky(have a sister that would ball her eyes out, and require like a litre of water to get a single pea down.)

But seems like the best option for you and your family would be to somehow get your kids to eat healthier, what you are eating.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You cook. They eat. If they don't like it, they either make their own or don't eat.

I am a little confused. Are you cooking for siblings? (That seemed to be the implication.) Do your parents cook also?
  • chasingthesun85
    chasingthesun85 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have two kids ages 7 and 2 1/2. Here's my strategy: I make a big meal once or twice a week usually a healthy soup like veggie soup with beans, or quinoa and beans, healthy casserole, chili, egg salad with avocado, etc as long as it's healthy and I like it, and I make a lot of it. That way I'll have a lunch or dinner for myself already made that will last me 3-4 days. If they want some that's cool, one less meal I cook for them. But if not, I have food for days that I know is healthy, And I'll just cook them more kid friendly recipes.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Take out? jk

I just went through this and kinda quit being everyone's cook to help transition, but my kids are adults and it was fun making them responsible for their own meals. I'll offer them my menu, but if the answer is no, they know where the cheerios are!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am in the "they eat what you eat" camp. But I also don't think pasta is unhealthy. What, exactly, is "and stuff"?
  • TNTinaa
    TNTinaa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have two kids ages 7 and 2 1/2. Here's my strategy: I make a big meal once or twice a week usually a healthy soup like veggie soup with beans, or quinoa and beans, healthy casserole, chili, egg salad with avocado, etc as long as it's healthy and I like it, and I make a lot of it. That way I'll have a lunch or dinner for myself already made that will last me 3-4 days. If they want some that's cool, one less meal I cook for them. But if not, I have food for days that I know is healthy, And I'll just cook them more kid friendly recipes.

Oh thanks! That's a great idea. I'll probably do meal prep for myself and then just cook theirs like normal.
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Seconding this! I make the recipes regularly.
    Growing up with Italian cooking, chicken parm was a standard dish in my mom's rotation. I tried hers without much hope that it would be good. My brother was staying with me, so I fed it to him as well. It was delicious!
    There is also a healthier Mac and cheese, breaded chicken, etc. I do have to say, though that I think it's a good idea to teach your kids not to be picky and learn proper portion sizes from a young age.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It is very easy to hide extra veggies in sauces and chili ooh try Hungarian goulash tons of veggies and fun elbow noodles could even do the funny colored healthy pasta wheels.
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My son eats what i eat and its really helped him slim down too...occasionally i will make him something else ex..if im having fish ill make him a steak ,potatos and green beans.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Seconding this! I make the recipes regularly.
    Growing up with Italian cooking, chicken parm was a standard dish in my mom's rotation. I tried hers without much hope that it would be good. My brother was staying with me, so I fed it to him as well. It was delicious!
    There is also a healthier Mac and cheese, breaded chicken, etc. I do have to say, though that I think it's a good idea to teach your kids not to be picky and learn proper portion sizes from a young age.

Yep! For my 7 year old, I typically give her a piece of BLT frittata for breakfast, a chia seed smoothie with frozen fruits of choice, or an egg with turkey sausages. For lunch 1/2 sandwich, fruit or yogurt, a salty treat and a sweet treat along with water and some kind of enhanced water. For dinner she'll eat anything I make - turkey hot dogs, turkey/zucchini meatballs, turkey/chicken nuggets, smoked wings, roasted vegetables, mashed or baked potatoes, tomato salad, veggie-rich turkey chili and chips, black bean or chicken quesadillas, pita pizzas, enchilada casseroles, turkey kielbasa, cauliflower macaroni and cheese, etc. I'm not sure how much your food needs to vary from your family, but I find adding a lot more vegetables and swapping for lower calorie cheeses/milks makes everything reasonable for the calorie budget.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My husband is 33 years old and having been pandered to his entire life by his mother, he is the fussiest eater I know. I have brought my son up with the mentality that he is given what I'm having or he doesn't eat.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue.
    When I make pasta or a casserole I have a small serve and add steamed veggies into my pasta / casserole. That way it bulks it up and you can still the same food