80 Pounds in 100 Days

Options
benl324
benl324 Posts: 19 Member
Greetings all! I never thought I would be posting on here but I've shared my success story so much with friends and family, that I thought I should share it on here.

pd7atprx7nx0.jpg
651myvu6boew.jpg

The two attached files speak for themselves. When I started, I was 335 and now I am down to 255 (with fluctuations up to 262). I have never felt better in my life nor has anyone ever told me I've been in better shape!

I will be the first to say, it is extremely hard work, and willpower is the key to making everything work. If you aren't willing to commit and stick to this as a "lifestyle" change, you are more at risk of not meeting your goals.

I went full blown, got the premium version, hired a coach and bought mapmyfitness as well. All the Under Armour apps communicate seamlessly so it is easy to use myfitnesspal as my main source of information.

I have logged for 98 days straight and again, I'm down 80 pounds! Please feel free to reach out to me for support. A friend introduced me to this app and I was super skeptical at first... After jumping in with both feet you can clearly see the proof is in the pudding!

Replies

• phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Great success. I will have to Che k out map my fitness app
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    That's some next level spam.
  • EttaWB
    EttaWB Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes; you look great. Congrats and keep up the good work. You (we) can do it!
  • waytobefranny
    waytobefranny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mmmm pudding.
    but seriously, great work! :smile:
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Thats an amazing loss!! Gotta love your second pic!! you look like a super cheerful guy :D
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success.

I looked at that app and it is very similar to run keeper. I used the free version of run keeper and it links to my fitness pal the last time I was active here and liked it a lot, I challenged myself to improve my time/distance, etc. Now I just use my fitbit and that is not as much as a motivator for me now. I think we all have to find what motivates us if it is gadgets, groups, competitions, internal, external. I find having to weigh in front of someone gives me the accountability I need for some reason so now its my MD.

After some lackluster results this year, I kicked it into high gear and working with my doctor devised a plan that is starting to really work for me. The hard part for me is always to maintain but am determined once I am where I want to be to keep it under control.

You look great and that is an impressive number for the timeframe so you have been really working hard. Keep up the good work!
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    80 lbs in 100 days??? That sounds extremely unlikely and very unhealthy. SPAM anyone???
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Looking good
  • benl324
    Options
    Thank you very much! And no it's not spam, I lived a horribly obese lifestyle and much of the weight loss began by cutting out all liquid except water. I also stopped eating at food trucks and fast food restaurants and started buying premade healthy choice meals from groceries.

Yes, it is extreme, but it is certainly not unhealthy. Nobody should expect such drastic results without taking drastic efforts (such as committing to exercise daily while still leaving calories on the table to provide additional weight loss). I eat the recommended amount for a man my size, or else this app would not let me log food and I wouldn't be on a now 100 day streak.

Needless to say, I believe it comes down to finding the right routine that works for you. Thanks everyone for the support and good luck on your weight loss journeys!

It is not easy and, as you can see, people will doubt you along the way. Stay healthy, know your limits and push your body only as far as you are comfortable. Some people just have higher thresholds than others and that's OK!
  • get_rucked
    get_rucked Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations - that's an amazing achievement.

On a side note - has anyone ever told you you look like Donnie Hendrix from Orphan Black?! :p
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So if your time frame is really 100 days, we're talking about you losing 0.81 pounds per day. That means with eating a "healthy" amount of food plus exercise you sustained a daily calorie deficit -2800 calories for 100 days.

Am I missing something? What is healthy or sustainable about this type weight loss program? If it were true you'd be starving! Also your profile says you've only lost 58 pounds which sounds a little more reasonable over 100 days.
  • benl324
    Options
    Ha, @cdal1 can't say I've ever been told that.

And to answer your question @headwind2015 my time frame was not 100 days. It was 100 pounds in 365 days.

However, because my body has adapted to not eating garbage and only taking in water instead of soda and juice, that coupled with my exercise, I ended up losing 80 pounds in 100 days.

If you want to get real personal, a major part of the problem was my diagnosis of both low testosterone and hypothyroidism, a dangerous combination. I put on 60 pounds in about three months so nothing about my weight gain nor my weight loss has been "normal".... That doesn't make it unhealthy.

I've only lost 58 pounds since I downloaded this app and started tracking... 101 days ago.

My exercise/wellness journey began before I downloaded this app. I started at 335 (my peak) and the day I first set foot on the scale, about three weeks later, I was down to 320, that is when I switched to daily tracking mode.

So if you want to get technical, I've lost 76 pounds and have gotten as low as 80 pounds in weight loss... But haven't officially logged it because my body fluctuates 5-7 pounds per day.

Also, for a person with my health and terrible lifestyle choices, I was given 2400 calories per day and apparently this app considers 1200-1500 calories per day perfectly fine... Leaving me with a surplus of at most 1200 calories per day, before exercising.

Just because I exercise, it is not used as a reason to eat more. Instead, I eat the right kind of proteins, fats and nutrients, that help tear down fat and keep my body running. I don't eat a snickers bar and then go run to make myself feel better about the food I just ate. Yes, eating bland chicken breast and turkey and spinach sucks but guess what, it works. I never said it was fun (although the exercise has become my favorite part).

Crunch all the numbers you want, tell me I'm starving myself and doing it wrong... The fact of the matter is I have never felt better in my life, my testosterone is finally producing naturally in my body again and my thyroid is functioning normally. If any of that is extreme or unhealthy, keep me in that category because I definitely will never go back to the way I was. For the first time in ten years, I don't have to take a pill or supplement to help my body regulate itself.

I've been evaluated by my internist, gastroenterologist, urologist, endocrinologist and psychologist who all agree that my new lifestyle choices, although extreme, have proven to work for me and in the end, that's all that matters. I'm sorry you haven't had as tremendous success as I have but that's no reason to doubt my improvements to my body... This community is about Support and Success Stories, not about someone adding up my caloric intake and telling me I've been running a deficit. Of course I have been... Only way to lose weight is to run a deficit. If I break even every day, I'm just staying at my current weight... At best.

Again, thank you all for your support and for those of you that still doubt me or believe I'm being unhealthy, your lack of concern or empathy only inspires me to exercise more. So again, even for those of you who doubt my actions, I can't thank you enough for reminding me that with hard work and willpower, I can accomplish my goals and negative outside forces still have no bearing on my success ;)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I love your expression in the second photo! :smiley:

Congrat's on your success so far, and I'm glad that all your doctors agree you haven't harmed yourself with the
    rapid weight change (either direction). One fairly common problem with rapid weight loss (which yours definitely
    has been, even at "only" 0.5 lb / day)
    is gallstones. Very painful.

And it's amazing that your thyroid & testes have reset themselves & appear to be working normally now.
    That will help get you to a healthy weight too.
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to be negative, but they way you've presented your success is confusing. Seriously, think about it; reread what you wrote. After clarifying things you're saying that you've lost 100 lbs over the course of a year, that is great. I totally support that kind of weight loss. Two pounds per week sounds much more reasonable; and attainable for many people on these boards.

But the title of your post is 80 pounds in 100 days. Can you honestly blame someone for being confused when you say the following?
    benl324 wrote: »

However, because my body has adapted to not eating garbage and only taking in water instead of soda and juice, that coupled with my exercise, I ended up losing 80 pounds in 100 days.

If you want to get real personal, a major part of the problem was my diagnosis of both low testosterone and hypothyroidism, a dangerous combination. I put on 60 pounds in about three months so nothing about my weight gain nor my weight loss has been "normal".... That doesn't make it unhealthy.

I've only lost 58 pounds since I downloaded this app and started tracking... 101 days ago.

Lastly, I'm sorry that you feel I'm attacking you. I am not. Keeping doing whatever it is your doing. The only reason I even post on this community to support others. 80 pounds in 100 days doesn't sound healthy and gives people the wrong impression of health weight-loss, period the end. Only God knows the time-frame of your weight-loss because thus far you've said you've lost 80 pounds in 100 days, 58 pounds 101 days, and 100 pounds over the course of a year. I am sorry for being confused. Maybe the problem is your writing.
  • benl324
    Options
    Perhaps, or maybe the problem is your perception of my writing. If you re-read the top of my last post, you will see that my goal is 100 pounds of weight loss, I have not yet reached that goal.

Further, it definitely feels like a personal attack, whether you meant it this way or not, as you questioned my success that I've worked extremely hard for.

Finally, as for my writing... Aside from you there have only been two other posts that question the authenticity and/or accuracy of my post. Hats off to you for being the only one brave enough to defend yourself, I truly do respect that.

Perhaps my title was misleading but I don't think my story is. I wanted to draw in readers and inspire them with a true success story. Yes, I shamelessly plugged this app and other Under Armour apps but that is what works for me :)

In the end, we all need to define what is healthy for each of us and I appreciate you giving so much thought and reflection on my own experience. You've made me defend myself when I haven't had to do that until now and for that, kuddos to you!

Kindly,

Ben

• Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    benl324 wrote: »
    Thank you very much! And no it's not spam, I lived a horribly obese lifestyle and much of the weight loss began by cutting out all liquid except water. I also stopped eating at food trucks and fast food restaurants and started buying premade healthy choice meals from groceries.

Yes, it is extreme, but it is certainly not unhealthy. Nobody should expect such drastic results without taking drastic efforts (such as committing to exercise daily while still leaving calories on the table to provide additional weight loss). I eat the recommended amount for a man my size, or else this app would not let me log food and I wouldn't be on a now 100 day streak.

Needless to say, I believe it comes down to finding the right routine that works for you. Thanks everyone for the support and good luck on your weight loss journeys!

It is not easy and, as you can see, people will doubt you along the way. Stay healthy, know your limits and push your body only as far as you are comfortable. Some people just have higher thresholds than others and that's OK!

Incredible loss. In over 3 months too! Would love to know your routine and eating choices
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You look MAHevlous! I wonder if you testosterone starting working against because of the fat loss. Women become less fertile when they get over fat too.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just saw that this post had come back up again. My apologies for thinking it was bogus. However, your post was a bit misleading since it seemed to indicate that you had lost 80 lbs in 100 days. That kind of extreme weight loss would not be considered normal or healthy on MFP. That being said, congratulations on your accomplishments and your upcoming wedding!
  • amynb524
    amynb524 Posts: 73 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ben, dont sweat the haters. You've done amazing and I'm glad you shared your success! I've lost 68 in the past 7 months and I'm being told I'm losing it too fast to be healthy, blah blah. You have to do what works for you!!

Bravo, sir!
  • benl324
    Options
    @hac125 I did lose 80 pounds in 100 days, I just didn't log everything from day one.

It's all good brother, no need to apologize. Like all my doctors have told me, it's definitely not normal to lose this much weight but I'm finally healthy and normal according to their bloodwork and tests.

Either way, everyone should continue to strive for what they find most healthy!

And hats off to you, @amynb524 you have done an incredible job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!