Replies

• SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • eagles0080
    eagles0080 Posts: 15
    Options
    and here's why I think that's total crap: I've experimented over the years with exercise..I've gained and lost over 100 lbs 5 seperate tyimes in my life (I have 7 children)...I've tried..just eating right..I've tried just exercise...i've tried just cardio...and I've tried just stregnth training...

Here's what works: eating right, cardio and stregnth training. the.end.

Anyone looking for a "quick fix" or a magic formula...that'd be it.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    and here's why I think that's total crap: I've experimented over the years with exercise..I've gained and lost over 100 lbs 5 seperate tyimes in my life (I have 7 children)...I've tried..just eating right..I've tried just exercise...i've tried just cardio...and I've tried just stregnth training...

Agreed!!!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I totally agree, you need all three!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Been seeing more and more of these articles lately. However, unlike this one, most advocate incorporating both types of exercises AND changing your eating habits, i.e calorie and nutrition counting. There's no magic formula..
  • inafit16177
    Options
    I read it...I am interested in hearing what people have to say...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with this article.

The basis of the article is "doing cardio alone will not make you lose weight".

Back in the 90's and when I was in my 20's, I never counted calories. I thought (as did most of the general population) that as long as I spent an hour in the gym every day, I'd be in great shape! So there I was with my thong bodysuit over stretch pants (you know you wore those too lol) doing a 1/2 hour on the step mill followed by a fun step aerobics class!! I wasn't fat, or even in bad shape, but that's because I was young.

Now, in my 30's and 2 kids later, I am in the best shape of my life. WHY you ask? Education!! I know what works now. I know I don't have to run an hour on the treadmill to get the same (if not as good) results as a 20 minute Crossfit class, or a 15-min HIIT session, or just plain ole heavy lifting.

So, maybe doing endless hours of cardio is beneficial to some people, maybe they are happy with the results, but for me, I'll stick with mostly weight training and watching my diet to keep in shape and keep furthering my goals.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's sort of similar to the Body for Life method, but that still incorporate 20 minutes of give-it-your-all cardio 3x a week with 3 days of weight training. I kind of think a no-cardio plan is BS too.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I dislike that there are so many different articles on the internet about cardio. Some say no cardio, some say 30 minutes a day, etc. I do 45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and strength training 3 days a week. The only problem I have with doing this much cardio is being hungry all the time. Sometimes I think I should cut back but I'm afraid to. All of the conflicting information on the internet and in books about nutrition/exercise is very frustrating and I'm not sure what to believe. Anybody else find this frustrating?
  • booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    I lost 60lbs about 4yrs ago doing this type of thing... I did a full body weight lifting work out that consisted of mainly compound muscle groups and on the smaller muscles I would super set those to get some cardio in and then would usually take a walk.... so I believe there is something to this article. I walk during my breaks at work and go swimming with the kids on non workout days

I'm doing it again now and trying to not fall of the wagon again...
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why, on this site, yoga is listed under cardio instead of under strength training. Yoga is my strength training, for the most part, but since I log it under cardio, it looks like I don't do any strength training.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 90 lbs due to pure cardio, but I have no idea how much of that was muscle. I have now ditched the cardio in favor of weight training. I lose about a pound of sweat right now for one of my workouts and I'm still increasing my weight. I find weight training so much more fun than cardio.
  • ajricketts
    ajricketts Posts: 32
    Options
    I actually like the article for the most part. He does advocate eating less/smarter as well. For me, weight training is just so much more fun and easier to stick to than cardio. I hate cardio, with a passion. Currently I combine my resistance training with intense circuit training for my cardio. My whole workout is usually 30 minutes or so.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why, on this site, yoga is listed under cardio instead of under strength training. Yoga is my strength training, for the most part, but since I log it under cardio, it looks like I don't do any strength training.

Because the strength training section is only for recording what you did, not for recording the calories you burn. Thus if you want to record the calories from a strength training workout you need to enter it under cardio as well.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with that. That's what I've done - cut out my cardio, and concentrated on my weights and nutrition. The results speak for themselves.

I used to be the cardio queen - I'd spend at least an hr to 2 in the gym, every day, trying to get such a big burn, trying to get my heart rate up. Where did it get me? I was still flabby, and was spending half of my time in the gym. I changed what I was eating, started incorporating more weights, stopped doing cardio, and BOOM! The weight fell off, and I've almost got a 6 pack for the 1st time ever, as I approach 50!

Now I walk or swim, for some "light" cardio, but mostly I do strength training. In addition, I'm eating more than ever. This wk I've bumped up my calories again, b/c I'm getting too thin, and I want to put on muscle. So I'm a true believer.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    It is an interesting article, but not actually anything different.....if calories out is less than calories in you will lose weight, and yes, adding muscle boosts your resting metabolism. I would love to see exactly what workouts are reccomended....and what a devotee of this plan looks like playing "tag" out in the yard eith the kids or going on a hike---not for cardio exercise, of course, but to commune with nature!

If anyone has this book, please post a sample workout!
  • bob_t
    bob_t Posts: 12
    Options
    I spent many years doing only weight training. I was very happy with the muscle I packed on, but still had a layer of fat. I think now that I'm watching my diet and incorporating some cardio (about 30 minutes at least 4 times a week)...I'll be even happier with the results.

I agree with most everyone who has posted in favor of the 3-pronged approach: diet, weights, cardio.
  • tonyalenore
    tonyalenore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I dislike that there are so many different articles on the internet about cardio. Some say no cardio, some say 30 minutes a day, etc. I do 45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and strength training 3 days a week. The only problem I have with doing this much cardio is being hungry all the time. Sometimes I think I should cut back but I'm afraid to. All of the conflicting information on the internet and in books about nutrition/exercise is very frustrating and I'm not sure what to believe. Anybody else find this frustrating?

I have noticed that about being more hungry on days when I do longer cardio. I found that doing 10-15 min cardio, strength, then 10-15 minutes more of cardio work best for myself. I do that Mon Tues Thurs and Fri. I rotate which areas I strength train so I don't get too sore. I used to try to spend 40-50 minutes straight on the elliptical or treadmill, but then I would be SO hungry the rest of the day, I can't do it anymore.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I agree with this article only because I've experienced it. The eating right component obviously has to be there but HEAVY intense weight training, for me, 3x's a week is shedding fat like crazy. I can't say I've scrapped cardio but my "cardio" is less than an hour a week. One workout is an 11 minute tabata sprint to shock my system. The other is long walks. I'm not necessarily looking to cut body weight as much as fat. This doesn't mean it works for everyone but I CAN say that it's been VERY effective for me.

The issue with the cardio is when it becomes "chronic", IMO. I don't think cardio is evil, per se, but when people are doing thse hour long cardio sessions they are kicking their cortisol into the "fight or flight" mode and I think it's counterproductive.

Being a Beachbody coach (who doesn't push or sell their products...need to actually cancel my membership but keep forgetting...LOL) it blows my mind when people talk about doing P90X/Insanity "doubles" where they'll do P90X in the morning and Insanity in the evening or, worse yet, a P90X & Insanity workout back-to-back...overkill. LESS is MORE !!
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options

Right on!