How out of shape am I?

Options
I think I look really large, but maybe I'm being too critical. So be honest, fitness people, how out of shape am I? Am I really big? I hope these pics aren''t too much but you couldn't really see my body if I was wearing my t-shirt. Thanks.
m0vro6273mmy.jpg
2feupz296nxg.jpg

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, a person can be "in shape" and come in many different sizes. I'm sure lots of people larger than me can run further and faster, and I know tons of people smaller than me who can't walk a mile.

Are you looking for a goal weight? You can find your "ideal" weight based on your height to get started.

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are big but honestly, set yourself a goal weight to get down to. Find a meal plan that goes hand in hand with an exercise routine. Take it one day at a time. This isn't as hard as people make it out to be. You could notice a difference in overall fitness as well as in your body within a week with the right plan.
  • dianahaynes925
    dianahaynes925 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're not very big, you could lean out pretty quickly
  • dianahaynes925
    dianahaynes925 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    William is right
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Being in shape and asking if you are proportional are two different things.

1. One cannot tell if you are in shape simply by looking at your pictures.
    2. It doesn't matter what other people think about your body and whether it is acceptable to them. What matters is how you feel about yourself. In my opinion, asking strangers to valid that you are acceptable by looking at your pictures is not the way to go about seeking validation of yourself, in my opinion.
  • williamwj2014
    Options
    Being in shape and asking if you are proportional are two different things.

1. One cannot tell if you are in shape simply by looking at your pictures.
    2. It doesn't matter what other people think about your body and whether it is acceptable. What matters is how you feel about yourself. In my opinion, asking strangers to valid that you are acceptable by looking at your pictures is not the way to go about seeking validation of yourself, in my opinion.

Agreed. My input based on her image is she could find herself a good routine as well as diet to follow so she can find happiness for herself.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about your appearance, you aren't that far away from showing some muscle, you just need to start a program. Reduce your body fat through calorie deficit, and work on fitness with a lifting program, and some cardio if you are concerned about cardiac fitness.
    also read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I suppose what I meant was that I always assumed I looked a certain way and when I took those pictures, especially the one from the back, I realized that I'm a lot bigger than I thought. I'm not sure if it's just shock that I'm bigger or if I'm actually fat. Sigh.

You aren't very big. It's all in your head.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh okay. Well am I thin? My goal is to look thin. I suppose I can't really tell how I look objectively since I'm too worried I look bad.

No, you don't look thin. You aren't obese...but you aren't lean either.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You don't look particularly big, just lacking in muscle.

Being in shape doesn't always have much to do with the way you look--it has to do with what you can do and how well you can do it.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    You need to get past this idea of looking 'big' or 'thin' because those are subjective words. You're comparing yourself in your head to some ideal you have of what the perfect size might be, and you shouldn't do that. Try to change your thinking to becoming your own best self, which is just reducing your body fat and some body recomp.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You need to get past this idea of looking 'big' or 'thin' because those are subjective words. You're comparing yourself in your head to some ideal you have of what the perfect size might be, and you shouldn't do that. Try to change your thinking to becoming your own best self, which is just reducing your body fat and some body recomp.

+1. You're asking something which is very subjective. Thin, large etc - everyone could give you a different answer, then what?
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you need other people to validate you then I think you need to work on your mental health first. And I say that with complete respect. I have suffered from poor self esteem and depression for most of my life. Sometimes I would blame my lack of self confidence on not being ten pounds lighter but that was never the real reason. Losing weight won't fix your self esteem issues. You need to stop comparing yourself to everyone else (I know that's easier said than done). If you want to lose weight do it for yourself and not to fit someone else's perception of beauty.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    You have a healthy body. you just need some toning exercises for your abs. you have full breasts and slim arms. Only your belly looks slightly bloated
  • williamwj2014
    Options
    If you need other people to validate you then I think you need to work on your mental health first. And I say that with complete respect. I have suffered from poor self esteem and depression for most of my life. Sometimes I would blame my lack of self confidence on not being ten pounds lighter but that was never the real reason. Losing weight won't fix your self esteem issues. You need to stop comparing yourself to everyone else (I know that's easier said than done). If you want to lose weight do it for yourself and not to fit someone else's perception of beauty.

This.

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Honestly everyones aesthetic tastes are different. I do prefer a very slim, low body fat look. I also much prefer small pert breasts to larger ones- and I'm sure tones of guys and gals would disagree with me, which is fine and good. You need to find the look you like and aim for that. Please yourself because you can't please everyone else.