Losing fat in your legs

Options
im only five pounds from my goal weight and I have little to no results in my legs. There is still quiet a bit of fat on them. I have tried intense cardio, weights, body weight. I know you can't spot train but it would be nice if my legs would get on bored with the rest of my body. Can I lean them up a little more or am I stuck with thunder thighs. What combo of exercises works your legs the best?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The only way to reduce fat on your legs is to reduce fat overall and your genetics will determine from where the fat is reduced.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Genetics will do that. Most of my weight is in my thighs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It seems like no matter what I try, I feel it in my legs. I do the squats, but my butt isn't working close to as hard as my legs. When I plank, I swear that my legs get a better workout than my abdomen. I don't know if it's just me or everyone. I think my legs pick up too much slack and stop other body parts from getting the workout they should.

Swimming and even treading water are wonderful ways to work the legs, IMO.

My thighs, though...they're still hideous. Either the fat goes or it doesn't and no amount of making your legs stronger gets rid of the fat.
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So I just have to accept my meaty thighs? That stinks. If I loose much more weight I will be underweight but my thighs still look bleh. Well if I can't have slim legs I at least want hem to be strong
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So I just have to accept my meaty thighs? That stinks. If I loose much more weight I will be underweight but my thighs still look bleh. Well if I can't have slim legs I at least want hem to be strong

Heavy lifting is your next option. Adding weight to your squats and lunges can make a difference in the muscle. It's not going to make fat go away if there's fat there, per se - you can't spot reduce - but it can definitely change the shape of your legs. There are a lot of heavy lifting routines online to check out that target the legs specifically.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I saw my legs transform with walking lots of walking. Uphill too. Then I did c25k and it got even better:)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Heavy lifting is your next option. Adding weight to your squats and lunges can make a difference in the muscle. It's not going to make fat go away if there's fat there, per se - you can't spot reduce - but it can definitely change the shape of your legs. There are a lot of heavy lifting routines online to check out that target the legs specifically.

Yep, odds are you need to reduce BF% through recomposition rather than actually "losing" more weight.
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

What are your thigh and calf measurements?
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk and more walking will help. Try walking up hills as well. And lot's of cardio but focus on your legs only. Worked for me. Good luck. :smile:
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Tahlia68 wrote: »
    Walk, walk and more walking will help. Try walking up hills as well. And lot's of cardio but focus on your legs only. Worked for me. Good luck. :smile:
    It won't, except to the extent it causes general fat loss all over.

• dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have big thighs, and have pretty much accepted that this is my genetic lottery result! I remember being 15/16 and so skinny (flat chested etc), but always having thighs I wasn't happy with. I'm a pear shape, you're probably one too. I now have weight I need to lose everywhere, and with ~14lb gone, I've seen some reduction in the size of my legs and bum but, of course, I'm losing much more weight from my tummy and upper half than the lower half! I've heard a treadmill on an incline is the best thing to blast the gluts and quads into submission though! Simulates the walking/running uphill that was recommended above. That and leg presses, for weight training. In any case, I'd rather be slim everywhere else and have slightly bigger thighs, than fat everywhere including my thighs! Best to celebrate the weight I have lost, rather than wishing for an entirely different body type to the one I have!
  • Tahlia68
    Options
    Definitely worked for me!!

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Exercise (swimming, running, and things like squats, hip thrusts etc.) have improved the shape and strength of my legs, but they are always going to be proportionately big because I carry more fat there than my upper body, even now I am slimmer and fitter. You can definitely improve their appearance and your perception of them by exercising, but in the long term it's probably better to accept your natural shape rather than battle to change it. It's probably genetic.
    Thunder thighs FTW. <3
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Because you were burning fat overall. You're not a special snowflake who can spot reduce. That's not how the human body works.

• Tahlia68
    Options
    Because you were burning fat overall. You're not a special snowflake who can spot reduce. That's not how the human body works.
    Did I say I was a special snowflake? Just stated it works for me. Were all different here and what works for some, doesn't work for others!! Nothing special about me :smiley:

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    Did I say I was a special snowflake? Just stated it works for me. Were all different here and what works for some, doesn't work for others!! Nothing special about me :smiley:
    We're not all different when it comes to the ability to spot reduce. We're all exactly the same. We can't do it. No one. Again, that's not how the human body works. Not anyone's. If you lost in your legs, it's because you were in a deficit and that's where your body got the fat to burn. It had nothing, at all, to do with exercising your legs. It just didn't.

• Tahlia68
    Options
    We're not all different when it comes to the ability to spot reduce. We're all exactly the same. We can't do it. No one. Again, that's not how the human body works. Not anyone's. If you lost in your legs, it's because you were in a deficit and that's where your body got the fat to burn. It had nothing, at all, to do with exercising your legs. It just didn't.
    NO comment your looking for an argument!! I've given my advice to OP! :smile:

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    I'm stating facts. I'm just doing it without extraneous exclamation points.
  • Tahlia68
    Options
    I'm stating facts. I'm just doing it without extraneous exclamation points.
    !!