Shirataki Noodles - zero calories!!!

Options

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Can you do the same with shirtaki noodles? Does the texture turn more like vermicelli?

As far as I know, they are the same thing... although you have to read the label as some contain tofu. I haven't tried these myself, but I heard that the consistency is more like pasta.

Dry frying them takes a lot of the moisture out of them so they are less squishy, but they don't ever really crisp up the way some other wheat or rice based noodles do. If I want a more crispy texture to my stir fry, I'll usually add cabbage for crunch.

I buy mine from an Asian supermarket because they are much cheaper than getting them from a health food store or even online. Sometimes they are up to 1/4 of the price, so check out your local Chinese grocer!
  • lovabee
    lovabee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did not even know a low calorie food like that exists! Will definitely try them. Having a big bowl of 'pasta' for less than 50 calories sounds awesome.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    YES. My ultimate go-to meals are always made with shirataki (sesame, or peanut sauce, or plain ol' stir-fry, or as a good base for lettuce rolls). I love them; since I grew up eating noodles similar to taste and texture, so none of that bothers me.

Yes, I keep seeing sesame and peanut sauce recipes for shitaki noodles, I want to give it a try. Got a link or a good recipe to share?

Hungry Girl has a lot of shirataki recipes (some with creamy sauces, too!). Her recipes are usually pretty good. I used to eat a lot of the shirataki noodles, but got a bit sick of them and have found other ways to fill my belly without too many calories. :smile: They do work for that, though!

Here is a link for some information about tofu shirataki (along with some recipes) from the Hungry Girl website:
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2157-hg-salutes-tofu-shirataki-low-calorie-low-carb-pasta-swap

Thank you! I look forward to trying some of them out :-D
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    They also have 10-20 calories a serving - not zero calories like the thread title suggests.

I did notice that there appeared to be differed brands when I was shopping for them. I wonder if that explains the difference in taste and texture that some people report?

I bought 'Zero Noodles'. These are definitely 4 calories for a 200g bag. I'd post a link but I don't want to run foul of mfp guidelines. I did notice that some places said their serving had up to 70 calories! But that was not the brand we used.
    Options
    And thank you to those who put in kind words for me; I was slightly expecting world war 3 when I returned to check the comments, so it's nice to see that didn't happen. Also, yeyy for those who didn't know and want to give them a try now. I hope you enjoy!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    they arent that good, just palatable if you prepare them right, but nothing to rave about
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hungry Girl has a lot of shirataki recipes (some with creamy sauces, too!). Her recipes are usually pretty good. I used to eat a lot of the shirataki noodles, but got a bit sick of them and have found other ways to fill my belly without too many calories. :smile: They do work for that, though!

Here is a link for some information about tofu shirataki (along with some recipes) from the Hungry Girl website:
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2157-hg-salutes-tofu-shirataki-low-calorie-low-carb-pasta-swap

I am so making the Tuna Casserole. Thank you for this link!
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    why does everyone on here like to argue so much
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    catwils1 wrote: »
    why does everyone on here like to argue so much

Internet balls

• hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea. I will certainly see if I can find them in my place of the word.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    Thanks for the idea. I will certainly see if I can find them in my place of the world.

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

I am so making the Tuna Casserole. Thank you for this link!

You're welcome! Glad it was helpful! :smile:

And, it does feel good how the tone of this thread has turned around back to a positive place. :smiley:
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bought them this morning, will try them tonight
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I LOVE konjac noodles (all the 'zero calorie' -- which they are really more like 25-50 calories as you'll likely eat the whole bag -- are konjac... just some use other flours and/or tofu to 'improve' the texture). I mean... *LOVE*. I do not use them as a 'replacement' for noodles though. They ARE noodles; not a replacement. They're just a different kind of noodle with a different kind of profile. They have lots of fiber, lots of iron, some protein, etc. So do wheat flour noodles -- those just come with a ton of carbs and less fiber (and more protein, sometimes some fat, etc... all that adds up to more calories but still good nutrition!).

They go best with Asian dishes and dishes that use seafood (they have a flavor that I would NOT say is fishy, but reminds me of seafood. Salt-water-ish. Just goes well with things like shrimp, seaweed, etc). They are *amazing* in Pho.

The texture is quite different from wheat flour noodles, and I think that's the problem a lot of people have. You go in expecting wheat noodles, and you're going to end up describing them as fishy rubber bands. They do need to be drained well and dry-fried with a little soy sauce for best texture and flavor (still ends up taking less time than boiling dry noodles).

Want an Italian-like dish with red sauce like spaghetti or lasagna? Save your calories and go for wheat noodles. Want a soup or seafood dish with a fish sauce or broth or light cream sauce like Pho or fried rice? Konjac all the way.
  • kryss247
    kryss247 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Loooooooooove them :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've ordered the noodles, and fingers crossed! I can't weight for them to arrive. I really hope I like them because I could use a few more calories in walnuts. I love the damn things but they're so damn taxing in the quantities I wish to eat. If I could save up 200 calories without having to sacrifice a part of my meal I'll be a happy snacker.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I've ordered the noodles, and fingers crossed! I can't weight for them to arrive. I really hope I like them because I could use a few more calories in walnuts. I love the damn things but they're so damn taxing in the quantities I wish to eat. If I could save up 200 calories without having to sacrifice a part of my meal I'll be a happy snacker.

I love this! :smile: It is about priorities.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    not really happy

no funny smell or taste, they actually don't taste of anything

the texture is the problem, they are really rubbery and it's a strange feeling

I was expecting a huge portion for 380g, but I was disappointed as it didn't look massive

I feel bloated though

in the end - quantity ok, taste is good as they absorb the taste of the sauce I've used, but I cannot get over their texture (and the thought of it makes me a bit sick right now)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    not really happy

no funny smell or taste, they actually don't taste of anything

the texture is the problem, they are really rubbery and it's a strange feeling

I was expecting a huge portion for 380g, but I was disappointed as it didn't look massive

I feel bloated though

in the end - quantity ok, taste is good as they absorb the taste of the sauce I've used, but I cannot get over their texture (and the thought of it makes me a bit sick right now)

They call them "the broom" for a reason! I can't eat an entire bag without adverse effects, but I do love them (half bag) with all kinds of vegetables and some kind of Asian sauce with or without broth.

Did you dry fry them after rinsing? That's how I get the ramen style texture.
  • LindaSmith108
    LindaSmith108 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tried shirataki noodles twice. the first time I rinsed them pretty well, drained them, heated up some Alfredo sauce and put the noodles in the sauce to let them warm up a little. I was so excited to try a low carb pasta substitute especially in Alfredo sauce. The noodles were terrible even in the sauce. THe noodles kind of had the texture of plastic and they tasted like a combination of chemicals, plastic and fish. I couldn't even eat it. My husband decided he wanted to do LCHF and insisted we try them with a sauce that I make with tomatoes from our garden that he loves. I warned him how nasty they tasted but he wanted to give it a try anyway. He hated it! In fact we both threw out our entire dinner. Maybe next time he'll listen to me. Since then we've discovered spaghetti squash. It tastes great plus it has vitamins we wouldn't have if we ate those ghastly noodles. It has a few carbs but they're worth it. BTW we ate scrambled eggs for dinner the night of the noodle debacle.