Losing fat in your legs

Options
2»

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    So I just have to accept my meaty thighs? That stinks. If I loose much more weight I will be underweight but my thighs still look bleh. Well if I can't have slim legs I at least want hem to be strong

Yep, that happened to me a few years ago.
    I ended up looking really bony up top (almost waif-like), with thighs that were still bigger in comparison.
    Maybe start lifting weights and concentrate on building up your upper body.
    I now have quite broad shoulders, so my body looks a bit more balanced out.
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will give these a try, like I said I at least want them to be nice and sculpted
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You could try inline skating (rollerblading). It burns almost as many calories as running with little to no impact to knees and joints. It works everything from your obliques down to all the muscles in your ankle and foot. It's a great way to work your abductor and adductor muscles (outside and inside of thigh) and your glutes. And it's ridiculously fun. I'm almost 50 and skating really transformed my legs and rear.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Give it a bit of time even if its at maintainance. Some times the weight redistributes after you have lost it. I lose mainly from my waist then butt and thighs and lastly from my bust (which is too big!).

You other option is liposuction.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    So I just have to accept my meaty thighs? That stinks. If I loose much more weight I will be underweight but my thighs still look bleh. Well if I can't have slim legs I at least want hem to be strong

What's your BMI? I have only recently started liking my proportions because the last place the weight has come off has been my hips/thighs. I had to get pretty low on the Normal BMI scale in order to get the look I wanted.

Lifting weights may help you achieve the aesthetic you want. Consider whole-body workouts. Adding muscle mass up top can help even out the appearance of larger legs. Lifting with a strict dietary plan (like eating just at or just slightly above maintenance with adequate protein) can reduce your body fat percentage, which would eventually, sooner or later, come off of your legs.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tahlia68 wrote: »
    Walk, walk and more walking will help. Try walking up hills as well. And lot's of cardio but focus on your legs only. Worked for me. Good luck. :smile:
    It won't, except to the extent it causes general fat loss all over.
    Definitely worked for me!!
    Because you were burning fat overall. You're not a special snowflake who can spot reduce. That's not how the human body works.
    Did I say I was a special snowflake? Just stated it works for me. Were all different here and what works for some, doesn't work for others!! Nothing special about me :smiley:
    We're not all different when it comes to the ability to spot reduce. We're all exactly the same. We can't do it. No one. Again, that's not how the human body works. Not anyone's. If you lost in your legs, it's because you were in a deficit and that's where your body got the fat to burn. It had nothing, at all, to do with exercising your legs. It just didn't.
    NO comment your looking for an argument!! I've given my advice to OP! :smile:

He's not arguing with you, just stating that you are incorrect. Walking will not make a difference in the size of anyone's legs, specifically. It's just not possible. Fat loss is not a targetable thing. If walking a lot made your legs smaller, it was because you were burning more calories than you ate, and lost fat all over your body. This OP has already said she's near her goal weight, so losing more fat through cardio exercise isn't going to help her.

Heavy lifting for body recomp will help her change the appearance of her legs, walking will not.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce but you can DEFINE parts of your party by working them...people who row have more defined arms, etc. Running, Walking uphill, kickboxing, spinning all focus on leg muscles. And lifting heavier weights for legs. So fat will come from everywhere but those muscles will change appearance.
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think my bmi is 19 or 20 currently. I'm trying biking now as that worked my legs a lot in the past. My friend knows a bodybuilder and he said if you want tone and not bulk up you should do lighter weights but more reps. Is this true? Or is body weight better. Which weight machines should I do and how often
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think my bmi is 19 or 20 currently. I'm trying biking now as that worked my legs a lot in the past. My friend knows a bodybuilder and he said if you want tone and not bulk up you should do lighter weights but more reps. Is this true? Or is body weight better. Which weight machines should I do and how often

No that's not true at all

Heavy weight ...and progressively heavier...follow a structured programme like strong lifts 5x5 or ice cream fitness

Either friend misheard or bodybuilder was playing dumb