Working out daily, but nothing comes off

Options
I am not sure why my body has plateaued. I used to weigh 15lbs less. I work out/run 5 days a week. I bet about 1400 calories post workout and my weight won't even move by .2 on my scale. what am I doing wrong. Hasn't changed in 2 weeks.

Replies

• Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's your food intake?
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't very long in the scheme of things as your weight can fluctuate by a couple of kilos throughout the day and if you started on a low weight and then ended on a high weight then it might look like you have not lost any.
    Though if your scale is not moving at all it might be broken!!!

Some ideas:
    Weigh your food using a food scale and log everything.
    If that doesn't work then recalculate your calorie goal.
    Keep on going you can get through this!!!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    No amount of exercise will help if you haven't sorted out your eating habits; are you weighing all of your food with a food scale and logging everything honestly?
  • pamelavanfleet
    pamelavanfleet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there anyway to figure out exactly how many calories I should be taking in? I want to make sure I'm eating enough for my metabolism to keep working. I read that if you do not take in enough calories that your body can go into starvation mode and holds onto basically everything
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options
    Is there anyway to figure out exactly how many calories I should be taking in? I want to make sure I'm eating enough for my metabolism to keep working. I read that if you do not take in enough calories that your body can go into starvation mode and holds onto basically everything

Starvation mode in that sense is a myth I'm afraid; if that were really true, think we would have skinny, starving people in third world countries? I mean, eating too little is most definitely bad-you will lose muscle mass along with fat, for starters-but I would recommend using the search function to find the many, many thread about the starvation mode myth and the actual science behind eating too few calories if you're really interested :)

Have you put your stats into MFP? Age, height, current weight, how much you want to lose a week, your activity level? How many calories did it tell you to eat per day? Because that is how many you should try sticking to.

How do you log your exercise or track how many calories you burn from exercise? If you are going off the machines or MFP, they are both (especially MFP) notorious for over-estimating the amount you burn, so most people recommend slashing whatever it says you have burnt by a half or third and taking that number as the true amount of calories burned.

You can also add those exercise calories to your total calories a day so you can eat more; for example, if MFP tell you to eat 1300 calories a day, and then you do 200 calories worth of cardio at the gym on top of that, then you can eat 1500 calories that day and still lose weight.

Hope that makes sense!
  • pamelavanfleet
    pamelavanfleet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. MFP says I should be eating 1423 cal a day. However, I am tracking my calories burned through the fitness app or off the numbers of the cardio equipment at the gym. Thank you for the tip to slash calories burned. I think this may help. May also need to go back to 100% clean eating and two-a-day workouts. I appreciate your information and support.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options
    Thanks for the info. MFP says I should be eating 1423 cal a day. However, I am tracking my calories burned through the fitness app or off the numbers of the cardio equipment at the gym. Thank you for the tip to slash calories burned. I think this may help. May also need to go back to 100% clean eating and two-a-day workouts. I appreciate your information and support.

You're welcome :) Also, clean eating isn't necessary for weight loss; you simply need to be eating less calories than you burn; if you burn 1500 and eat 1200 calories worth of doughnuts you will still lose. However, I understand that for some people 'clean eating' helps with calorie control, and each to their own. But don't feel you need to cut the things you love out of your life to lose weight. Good luck :)