Ever ok to take a break?

Options
2»

Replies

• ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I actually find the videos and stuff like that more boring than the bike. I lose interest in them. It's not that I'm bored, I usually watch a tv show while doing it so it's not boredom, I'm just tired. I did push myself to do it today even though I just wanted to go to sleep and rest.

I don't have any access to classes or a gym.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I take a break when I go on vacation, but I enjoy my workout time - even then I keep active despite missing the workouts. I add a good deal of variety to my training to keep it interesting.

Are you able to branch off the stationary bike to other things? Is there anything you've always wanted to do and could incorporate a new exercise regimen for it?

• YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you need to take a break, than by all means, take a break. I'd just make sure to set some ground rules so it doesn't become a free for all ( it happens!!).

And as others have said.... switch things up if you are finding your exercise plan is a little too much. Do something you enjoy so you won't get bored by it. For example.... If you feel you need to drag yourself out the door, throw yourself in the car, push yourself through the gym doors and plant yourself on a machine and make yourself stay there until you're finished..... than I would say, (and I'm only guessing), it's not the right plan for you ;) hehe.

But if all it is, is a little recouping, than go for it. You are the keeper of your destiny!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    I actually find the videos and stuff like that more boring than the bike. I lose interest in them. It's not that I'm bored, I usually watch a tv show while doing it so it's not boredom, I'm just tired. I did push myself to do it today even though I just wanted to go to sleep and rest.

Sometimes you might just need to sleep instead.

But consider going for a nice brisk walk. Maybe go for a 30 min walk at lunch when the sun's out and it's warm and lovely.

You don't need classes or a gym for that ... all you need is a pair of shoes that isn't going to hurt your feet.

• YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Sometimes you might just need to sleep instead.

But consider going for a nice brisk walk. Maybe go for a 30 min walk at lunch when the sun's out and it's warm and lovely.

You don't need classes or a gym for that ... all you need is a pair of shoes that isn't going to hurt your feet.

[/quote]

Completely agree ^^ 100%
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

I experienced the same thing when I was eating too little. Eat at least half of your exercise calories. Is your activity level set correctly? If you've put down sedentary when you're actually moderately active, that would affect your energy levels.

I think what you need is not an exercise break, but a diet break.
  • ivoluntas
    ivoluntas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I cut for about 3 months and lost 13 pounds. After that I could feel myself getting burned out - even having a gym. I took one month to eat at maintenance before starting my current cut. Even at maintenance I tried to log everything because I knew if I didn't I would slip back into my old eating habits and everything would be lost. At the gym things were better because I could lift more and had more energy. I think it is good to take breaks every few months until you lose what you want. I think it's better to take your time and do it right than regress.

It's nice to step back and see what you want to do when you are ready to cut again and what can be improved. But it can burn you out when you are in the process.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I take mandatory breaks from exercise often, and these breaks can last for extended periods. This has not affected my weight loss. If you feel you need to take a break then do so. As long as you don't mess up your diet you should be able to resume your fitness plans later.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I've seen others take a week off from exercise at least once a year. I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost around 7lbs in 62 days in my recent weight loss journey (56 lbs lost in total). I've been trying to get to 112 and am now 130-131. I'm eating around 1200 and exercising 5 days a week for 30-45 mins. In the last 2 weeks I've dropped 3.5 lbs.

I'm thinking about just taking a week break from the exercise while still sticking to my 1200 cals. Is it ever ok to take a break from your diet and exercise? Will it hinder my weight loss much?
    Yes its a okay to take a break.. why would it not be after all it's only a week.. and it may make your weight loss slightly slower because your not burning them additional 150-300 or whatever the cals may be you burn when you do exercise. you might end up losing a half a pound less or so..

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Take a break as long as you like. Feeling tired and sluggish might be related to what you are eating (or not eating) or stress, or mental fatigue, or insufficient sleep duration, or poor sleep quality. See how you feel after a week or so. Still tired to the point that you could sleep pretty much at any time? Consult your primary care provider.