How do YOU spend your calories?

Options
we are all here to loose weight and most of us out counting calories right?

I just wanted to see how many of us has completely reformed our diet and how many of us still eat what we want as long as it's in like with our calorie count - and how this has affected your weightloss.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Same things, just less of them. Lost 116 pounds.
  • Karmyeboo
    Karmyeboo Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Interesting, I've done both, cold turkey but this time I'm doing what you've said and just as I was tucking into my allotted Ben and jerrys I was called to go to the gym and the person told me I shouldn't think of it that way? Basically eat as clean as possible
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have lost about 35 pounds and eat what I want, just in smaller portions. Compared to before I began losing weight, I find I want certain things (bread, pasta, fatty salad dressings, fruit juice) less often just because I don't personally find them worth the calories. I have added more of certain high-volume-for-the-calorie foods to my diet (greens, vegetables, brothy soups) so that I stay fuller.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Karmyeboo wrote: »

Interesting, I've done both, cold turkey but this time I'm doing what you've said and just as I was tucking into my allotted Ben and jerrys I was called to go to the gym and the person told me I shouldn't think of it that way? Basically eat as clean as possible
    Eat clean if you want. Don't if you don't. Eat in a deficit.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't caring about my weight, I used to eat mostly carbs, yummy, yummy carbs! Now I'm losing, I have found that I have definitely developed a taste for protein, as it seems to keep me fuller for longer.

Otherwise, I just eat whatever I want and make sure I fit it into my calorie goal. I had the urge to just binge on an entire large bag of crisps the other day. About 1000 calories in the bag, yet I still fit it into my goal.

If you want it badly enough, you'll work for it-that includes both weight loss and ensuring you get to eat all the yummy treats you want in my book!

• cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I want to find a good balance for me.
    I so far have add in eating salads
    Snacking on yogurt and apples.
    I still eat my bread I just limit it.
    No wine each night.
    I still a little chocolate at night
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm a very all-or-nothing type person. While technically, if it fits in my calorie amount it should be ok, I have a difficult time with portion sizes. Generally, I just avoid my pitfalls (pizza, nachos, fried food, etc) where I know I will overdo it. Safer items for me, like pasta, chocolate and snack foods, I fit them into my allowances if I really want them.
  • shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I mostly still eat what I want in smaller quantities to fit my calorie goal. But I have found that some things I used to eat, like pasta dishes, some desserts, and some restaurant meals don't fit so easily into my calories, so I have them less often or not at all.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't caring about my weight, I used to eat mostly carbs, yummy, yummy carbs! Now I'm losing, I have found that I have definitely developed a taste for protein, as it seems to keep me fuller for longer.

Otherwise, I just eat whatever I want and make sure I fit it into my calorie goal. I had the urge to just binge on an entire large bag of crisps the other day. About 1000 calories in the bag, yet I still fit it into my goal.

If you want it badly enough, you'll work for it-that includes both weight loss and ensuring you get to eat all the yummy treats you want in my book!

The bolded is definitely true for me.

I also make room in my calories for junk food.

But there are things I don't make room for as often: pasta, tortillas, beer, pizza, bread. I still have these things (well, I haven't had anything to drink since Christmas), but they're just not the staples they once were.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Generally the same as I did before just in smaller quantities, but I'm a bit more smart about it I'd say and try to justify foods to myself. When I want to eat something I look at whether I consider it worthwhile - will I feel like I've wasted calories after eating it? Is there something more nutritionally dense that would satisfy me just as much?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Karmyeboo wrote: »
    we are all here to loose weight and most of us out counting calories right?

I just wanted to see how many of us has completely reformed our diet and how many of us still eat what we want as long as it's in like with our calorie count - and how this has affected your weightloss.

I eat less crackers, chips and bread than I used to because I'd rather use my calories for more filling foods. I eat most of the same foods and fit them in my calorie goal which I think has helped my weight loss since I don't feel I am doing something unsustainable.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the clean eating vs moderation debate. Why so black and white? I do a combo of both....mostly nutrient-dense, high volume/low calorie food with room for a little bit of the delicious not-so-nutrient dense, low volume/high calorie food. OK, I guess that's technically moderation...but it's not like I'm eating *exactly* what I used to, just less of it. It's a LOT less of it, and a whole lot more of the nutrient-dense items.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't log anymore but I am much better at portion control now. I also know where the high density starchy carb laden calories are and reduced my consumption of bread and potatoes. Still drink too much beer though, nobody is perfect.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I was 100% paleo before CICO and I was probably eating close to 3000 calories a day (and I didn't understand why I wasn't losing weight)

But now I get pizza, french fries and butter. So my diet did change but now I get to eat food i find delicious instead of trying to pinterest some substitute like cauliflower crust pizza (with no cheese) carrot fries and no substitute for butter.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I still eat like I did while gaining, only less of it. BUT, I stopped eating a lot of junk food and switched to a diet of mostly whole natural foods a long, long time ago. "mostly" I do still eat junk, just not a lot. Weight control is not my only thought when planning my diet.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I use to eat absolute crap, and plenty off it! I can't "spend" my calories on that junk because then I would still be hungry! I eat higher fiber and way higher protein, I don't track fat, carbs etc but just making better food choices makes that lower naturally. I'm not about to spend half my calories on a giant cupcake. I still eat an occasional treat but daily have a fiber one cookie with coffee.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    FunSizedKJ wrote: »
    I'm a very all-or-nothing type person. While technically, if it fits in my calorie amount it should be ok, I have a difficult time with portion sizes. Generally, I just avoid my pitfalls (pizza, nachos, fried food, etc) where I know I will overdo it. Safer items for me, like pasta, chocolate and snack foods, I fit them into my allowances if I really want them.
    Yes TOTALLY agree! LOL

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm more careful with high calorie items most of the time. I add more low cal veggies now instead of more potatoes, etc. I still eat potatoes often, I have just gotten much better at portion control. I eat a lot more protein and make sure I get enough fat and those are usually the first items in my meals I eat. I still eat dessert sometimes and eat restaurant food in moderation. :)

• ameliarunner
    ameliarunner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me I've completely changed my diet. I cut out anything bad for me (including diet sodas, fried food, and fast food). So far I've lost 12 pounds in 38 days this way. I spend most of my calories on protein, fiber, fruits, and vegetables. Now that I've reached my first weight loss goal Im going out for some icecream, but I'm still going to count it.
    I think the most important things are drinking plenty of water, portion control, and cutting out things that do nothing good for your body.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I managed to fit a small ice cream from Marble Slab Creamery with Butterfinger pieces and fudge sauce into my plan last night. So yummy but I couldn't even eat it all. I also find that protein-rich food keeps me more satisfied and drinking water in between meals keeps me feeling full.
    Also cut back on eating a lot of bread and pasta not because I have to but because I just don't crave them like I used to. So far I've lost 24 pounds in 9 months and I've never felt deprived.