I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• azaleeadinca
    azaleeadinca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your amazing story. Congrats. Indeed, it's inspiring!!!

I am a 5ft8 female amd at 33yo started my journey obese, at 222lbs, and by 35, today, I am at 157.lbs by doing mostly strength HIIT workouts 5 times a week. I also started running. I started with a trainer from day one, so I did endurance and strength from day one, although back then I didn't understand the importance of weights as I do now.

I agree with others about a bit if extra skin. For women there's also a dramatic change in bra size lol, sadly, but there's no other way.

Another good advice for avoiding that extra loose skin is to NOT lose too much too quickly, so that thd body has time to adapt and the skin time to regain its elasticity.
    A good idea is to do a 10% calorie deficit in diet, taking into conditions calories used in training too.

Anyway, I had reached a plateau and I understood that diet really needs to be closely monitored for further progress. You are right, it's a bit obsessive and takes time, but it's all an investment in heath, so it's worth it!!
    I'm also vegan and eat organic, mostly home made.

It's a way of life indeed and others are inspired even without words.... It's been a life changing experience.

I do have a question... how do you see yourself maintaining your interest alive for this long term? Keep your training interesting and challenging? Also, do you think eventually it's possible to stop monitoring diet closely (measuring, logging, counting), when the good habit has become second nature??? It's been almost two years for me, and I'm trying to picture myself in 20 years from now...

Thanks amd good luck!
    Thanks for sharing, inspiring and helping!
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, forgive me if you've answered this already; I thought I had a good handle on the eating-less/losing weight thing but apparently not.
    I'm 5ft7 male, stocky, 40 years old. Weight 175 lbs. Aim is to get to 160lbs which is the upper end of the UK BMI (so whatever people's views of BMI are it seemed like a reasonable goal, and I have plenty of visible body fat).
    So I lost a good amount of weight quickly - one morning my weight was down to 170lbs (digital scale) and I was delighted. But weighed again at the end of the day and I was 177!!! So obviously water weight... But my weight then stuck resolutely between 174 lbs and 177 lbs for a month. So I dropped to 1400 calories from previous 1650. Still no change 3 weeks later, I'm hovering around 175lbs.
    Exercise-wise I do a 10 mile run once a week, and a 5 mile run once a week. Try and strong lifts 5x5 twice a week, but usually once.
    Obviously my overarching goal is to have low body fat and lean frame but I really wanted to hit this psychological goal of 160lbs which MFP tells me every day I will hit within 5 weeks, but I never do!!!
    Sorry for the essay, hopefully others can r
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey Vismal,
    I've been reading your advice. Very logical and very detailed, but most importantly it makes me feel like it is achievable. Just wanted to say thanks.
    Tom
  • Palmeralex
    Options
    I meant to say "hopefully others can relate, and thanks".

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your amazing story. Congrats. Indeed, it's inspiring!!!

I am a 5ft8 female amd at 33yo started my journey obese, at 222lbs, and by 35, today, I am at 157.lbs by doing mostly strength HIIT workouts 5 times a week. I also started running. I started with a trainer from day one, so I did endurance and strength from day one, although back then I didn't understand the importance of weights as I do now.

I agree with others about a bit if extra skin. For women there's also a dramatic change in bra size lol, sadly, but there's no other way.

Another good advice for avoiding that extra loose skin is to NOT lose too much too quickly, so that thd body has time to adapt and the skin time to regain its elasticity.
    A good idea is to do a 10% calorie deficit in diet, taking into conditions calories used in training too.

Anyway, I had reached a plateau and I understood that diet really needs to be closely monitored for further progress. You are right, it's a bit obsessive and takes time, but it's all an investment in heath, so it's worth it!!
    I'm also vegan and eat organic, mostly home made.

It's a way of life indeed and others are inspired even without words.... It's been a life changing experience.

I do have a question... how do you see yourself maintaining your interest alive for this long term? Keep your training interesting and challenging? Also, do you think eventually it's possible to stop monitoring diet closely (measuring, logging, counting), when the good habit has become second nature??? It's been almost two years for me, and I'm trying to picture myself in 20 years from now...

Thanks amd good luck!
    Thanks for sharing, inspiring and helping!
    Keeping motivated in the long run comes from continually setting new goals. If my goal was simply to lose 100 lbs and that was it, I'd have done it a long time ago and had nothing more to work towards. Who knows where I'd be if I adopted that attitude. Once I lost the majority of my fat, I changed my goal to get even leaner. Once I did that I decided I wanted to gain more muscle. I don't ever plan on not having a goal. For that reason, I'll always be motivated. As to stopping with logging, I don't know if/when that will happen. Right now my goals are all pretty ambitious and without extremely strict tracking of calories, it will be difficult to achieve them. Maybe in the future, if my goals require less attention to nutrition, I will be able to eat without tracking. I am fairly confident I could maintain my weight loss without tracking, but I do not think I'd be able to get as lean as I'd like, and gain as little fat during bulking sessions without tracking.
    Palmeralex wrote: »
    Hi, forgive me if you've answered this already; I thought I had a good handle on the eating-less/losing weight thing but apparently not.
    I'm 5ft7 male, stocky, 40 years old. Weight 175 lbs. Aim is to get to 160lbs which is the upper end of the UK BMI (so whatever people's views of BMI are it seemed like a reasonable goal, and I have plenty of visible body fat).
    So I lost a good amount of weight quickly - one morning my weight was down to 170lbs (digital scale) and I was delighted. But weighed again at the end of the day and I was 177!!! So obviously water weight... But my weight then stuck resolutely between 174 lbs and 177 lbs for a month. So I dropped to 1400 calories from previous 1650. Still no change 3 weeks later, I'm hovering around 175lbs.
    Exercise-wise I do a 10 mile run once a week, and a 5 mile run once a week. Try and strong lifts 5x5 twice a week, but usually once.
    Obviously my overarching goal is to have low body fat and lean frame but I really wanted to hit this psychological goal of 160lbs which MFP tells me every day I will hit within 5 weeks, but I never do!!!
    Sorry for the essay, hopefully others can r
    You are eating more than you think you are. At your height and weight, you should be losing just fine at 1400 calories, or 1650. You should probably be able to lose eating as many as 1800 calories. You need to reexamine how diligent you are with tracking. Give this thread a read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ^^ bump - I recently got a food scale and it has helped immensely - I find I am getting better at portioning food accurately even without it- (although I use it at every meal) and since I do a lot of baking - it's been brilliant for that too- (I made my own protein bars the other day! ) It's definitely a good investment if you re serious about weight loss/gain goals ;)
  • SenditToSarah
    SenditToSarah Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How does it feel to still be answering questions two years later? Have you considered a career path in the fitness industry? More to the point of the post: on your rare "free" days, do you reign it in at this point on your fitness journey by only having one or two things you'd like, or have whatever you'd like all day long? Do you still track your calories that day, or do you let it go?
  • vismal
    Options
    How does it feel to still be answering questions two years later? Have you considered a career path in the fitness industry? More to the point of the post: on your rare "free" days, do you reign it in at this point on your fitness journey by only having one or two things you'd like, or have whatever you'd like all day long? Do you still track your calories that day, or do you let it go?
    It doesn't seem like I've been answering these for that long. I'll keep doing it as long as people keep asking questions. I see it as a way of paying back all the people that answered all my questions or pointed me to towards all the information that helped me along the way. I am a registered nurse so I am already working in health care. To work in fitness directly wouldn't make much sense as becoming a registered dietitian or exercise physiologist would require an additional bachelor's degree and would ultimately be a pay cut. I am actually working towards becoming a nurse practitioner with a focus on primary care. In a sense that will allow me to be more involved in things like weight loss and living a healthy lifestyle as those are extremely important parts of preventative care.

As to free days. They are just that, free. I do not count, I do not track, I do not care! They are so few and far between that they will not effect progress so when I have them, I simply enjoy myself.
  • Mark_on_a_Mission
    Mark_on_a_Mission Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Nick, as others have said, your story is truly inspirational! I really enjoy your no-nonsense approach, and have really enjoyed reading your posts and watched your Youtube channel - and putting it all into practice!

I hope I'm not duplicating any questions (I dont think I am) but I wanted your advice..... I've lost over 50lb by following a 900 cal deficit over 7 months (using MFP and Fitbit) , and been attending the gym regularly using weights over the last 3 months. Initially I was gradually increasing my weights, but for a while now have been at a stage where I simply cannot increase my weights any more.

Am I right in thinking that this is likely to remain the case until I start increasing my calories?

I still have some belly fat I want to lose, which as you say seems to be the most stubborn part, so am planning to continue with my calorie deficit until that is gone - so my second question is, should I continue with the deficit to lose the last bits of fat - or increase calories, work on muscle, and do another cut at some point in the future in future to get rid of the unwanted fat?

I know some of this may be personal choice, but I would be really grateful to get your thoughts.

Thanks again, keep up the fantastic work :) Mark
  • BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what was your body fat percentage in the middle picture and right picture from your very first post in this thread?
  • amsdragonfly
    amsdragonfly Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You say that the 2 mo. mark is around when people get discouraged, and I can attest to that. I have tried to start exercising/eating better twice in the last two years and both times stopped around 2-3 months in because of some random reason (got a cold and never got back to running, forgot to count foods and just gave up, etc.). I have started again and am 10 days strong, but I am curious, what did you do to keep motivated when it came around two months?
  • cquang
    cquang Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey great story bro. I have been working long hours (about 60 hpw excluding travel time) for the past 18 months and my weight has steadily creeped up. I want to bring it back to what it was in my late 20's (79 kg = 174 pounds) by 12 December. Great to see your determination!
  • vismal
    Options
    Hi Nick, as others have said, your story is truly inspirational! I really enjoy your no-nonsense approach, and have really enjoyed reading your posts and watched your Youtube channel - and putting it all into practice!

I hope I'm not duplicating any questions (I dont think I am) but I wanted your advice..... I've lost over 50lb by following a 900 cal deficit over 7 months (using MFP and Fitbit) , and been attending the gym regularly using weights over the last 3 months. Initially I was gradually increasing my weights, but for a while now have been at a stage where I simply cannot increase my weights any more.

Am I right in thinking that this is likely to remain the case until I start increasing my calories?

I still have some belly fat I want to lose, which as you say seems to be the most stubborn part, so am planning to continue with my calorie deficit until that is gone - so my second question is, should I continue with the deficit to lose the last bits of fat - or increase calories, work on muscle, and do another cut at some point in the future in future to get rid of the unwanted fat?

I know some of this may be personal choice, but I would be really grateful to get your thoughts.

Thanks again, keep up the fantastic work :) Mark
    You are correct in thinking that you will no longer be able to make significant strength gains without increasing calories. When you are new to lifting, much of the strength that is gained is neurological adaptation to lifting weights. After the beginning phase comes to an end, those types of strength gains drop off significantly. You now actually need to be gaining muscle mass in order to make significant strength gains, and that will only come from being in a calorie surplus. Most people can not get extremely lean during their first cutting phase. I couldn't. You reach a point where a lean bulk is actually the better course of action even though you still have some fat present. It sounds like this might be where you at. This is what happened to me between my 2nd and third pictures from the original post.
    Out of curiosity, what was your body fat percentage in the middle picture and right picture from your very first post in this thread?
    Because there is no affordable and reliable method of measuring body fat, I've never checked mine. Calipers and electronic devices are terrible where accuracy is concerned, and more accurate methods like dexascan cost hundreds of dollars. That being said, knowing the number isn't really helpful either. I can look in the mirror and determine if I am lean enough or not. If I had to hazard a guess, and it's just that, a total guess, I'd say 14 in the middle picture and 12 in the right most picture, give or take 2%...
    You say that the 2 mo. mark is around when people get discouraged, and I can attest to that. I have tried to start exercising/eating better twice in the last two years and both times stopped around 2-3 months in because of some random reason (got a cold and never got back to running, forgot to count foods and just gave up, etc.). I have started again and am 10 days strong, but I am curious, what did you do to keep motivated when it came around two months?
    I stopped letting single mistakes snowball into all out failure. It's very easy to let one slip up lead to a total cheat day lead to a week of not tracking lead to giving up. Just like when trying to modify any behavior, when you fall off the horse, you must get back on IMMEDIATELY. One day isn't a big deal, it's 0.0027% of a year. It's only significant if you let that day become a week become a month and so on.

• Palmeralex
    Options
    One day isn't a big deal, it's 0.0027% of a year.
    ahem

• Palmeralex
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »
    ^^ bump - I recently got a food scale and it has helped immensely - I find I am getting better at portioning food accurately even without it- (although I use it at every meal) and since I do a lot of baking - it's been brilliant for that too- (I made my own protein bars the other day! ) It's definitely a good investment if you re serious about weight loss/gain goals ;)
    Thanks I do have a little set of digital scales, and it has been very useful, for example to see how desperately sad a 25gram portion of muesli is. I don't use it all the time because I won't let my dieting affect family life (we eat healthily anyway, its just me that's the greedy one), but my wife wouldn't be amused by my tipping her food onto scales. Granola is almost unbelievably calorific isn't it? Let me have your recipe for protein bars.

• mfm143
    edited August 2015
    Options

I hear that ^^ -- I too use it mainly for the good stuff- as in how many chocolate chips REALLY make up 125grams? Weighing organic spinach is pointless as really you can never have too much spinach - Lol - my protein bars/ brownies are as follows:

4 tbsp cocoa powder ( try to use best quality)
    1 cup almond flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 scoops Whey protein powder ( depending on which brand you use, macros may change)
    1/2 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
    1 tbsp espresso powder
    1/2 cup chopped pecan halves
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    2 eggs

** if batter is too dry add a lil more yogurt or applesauce

Combine dry and then add wet ingredients - place in a 9x9 baking tin. Bake @ 350 for 25-30 min until toothpick comes out clean. Yields 12

Macros per 1 bar/brownie :

154 total cal

Fat 9.5g
    Carbs 10.5g
    Protein 9.7

• Palmeralex
    Options
    Thanks that looks good! I wonder if you could decrease the calories by using some kind of sweetener? Maybe this should be on the recipe forum.
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    p3mc0bj2y8ga.jpg

Incredible story! It has inspired me to try as well!
  • mfm143
    edited August 2015
    Options
    By all means tweek it to your liking - personally, I don't like using artificial sweeteners and don't really buy stevia , I use what I have on hand and like you - what my family eats - so I usually buy organic raw honey and local maple syrup and use that as sweetener or organic unsweetened applesauce - works well as a fat substitute while keeping sugars low.

** Sorry to take up space on your thread Nick ;)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Super, man! I’m a 54 year old, 63” disabled female veteran whose blood sugar was at 455! I want to lose fat to go from 228 to 150. (I am very muscly under my fat.) I work 59 hours weekly, and NEED to exercise at home so I have time to check my blood sugar, eat right, and rest. I’ve been eating for life and tracking my diet for two weeks and consistently at 1600 daily. My exercise is high intensity interval exercise and calisthenics to accommodate my foot and shoulder tendinitis. I lost 5 pounds so far. Perhaps a can do PX90 when I am stronger and less fat. Any recommendations? Please speak “English”. I don’t know what cuts and 5x5, and other terms mean. If you tell me to lift, please tell me how much to lift, and how many times, etc.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!