Explain to a clueless person? How does it work?

Options
So I like to watch what I eat, not really for vanity reasons more for health reasons. Currently I'm 60 kilos and just to watch how the site works, I put my goal as 55 and have been logging, very accurately, what I consume during the day. I work very hard and long hours as a waitress and cycle to work several times a day depending on shifts so I am constantly active, and I realise to offset the amount of energy I use I need to replace it, but here's my question:

Why is it that I need to eat MORE in order to LOSE weight?

If you can explain clearly and for someone who doesn't understand too much of the physical biological aspect that would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat back exercise calories to lose weight. In the short term, the more you eat, the less you'll lose. You may need to do so to maintain your health, have energy, avoid muscle loss and sustain your weight loss (i.e., if you re constantly hungry and tired, you're unlikely to stick with it).
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I not sure I quite understand what you're asking. Are you asking about eating back exercise calories? Or is the goal MFP gave you higher than you were eating before?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. The amount of calories you eat and burn are directly related to your weight.

-Eat more than you burn, you gain weight.

-Eat exactly what you burn, you stay the same.

-Eat less than you burn, you lose weight.

You're going to burn some calories just by being alive. Your heart pumps blood, your lungs exchange gas, your eyes blink...all your cells perform their little jobs. All of it requires energy. Bigger activity, like walking, cooking, vacuuming, running, bike riding and swimming - that all takes even more effort and requires more energy. So you burn more calories.

Fueling all that activity is done with energy that you get from calories ("energy") in food. So, the more you do, the more food you'll need.

You need enough food to fuel your body. If you don't get enough energy, vitamins and minerals from your food, your body will start breaking itself down to get what it needs and that, obviously, isn't good. It's especially bad if you don't have fat to lose. The effects of starvation are devastating and sometimes fatal.

So, eat what you need to remain strong and healthy. You want to power through your workouts.

But don't eat more food because you think it will help you lose more weight.

Just plug your info into the MFP and follow the directions.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think the op is wondering how she can lose weight if she's eating what mfp tells her and not the generic 1200 calories day.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of calories in to keep your metabolism working.
    If youre burn burn burning and starving yourself it will screw your body up and not be conductive to healthy weight loss.
  • IrishDad08
    IrishDad08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ agree
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    when i started this program, i heard a lot about "starvation mode" from other folks...essentially referring to the notion that your body will react adversely if you shut down your calorie intake too much, because it senses the need to conserve its resources...thus slowing your metabolism down and leaving you with less energy, lethargic, etc. - i wouldn't presume to speak for her, but there may be an element of that to her question?
  • JayLeitao
    JayLeitao Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, they were so fast and I learned a lot! Basically my goal weight is 5 kilos less than my current weight, but MFP is telling me that I'm not reaching my caloric intake goal ever and so my weight will stay the same rather than losing. And that's what I don't understand...how is my weight staying the same (and not reducing) according to MFP if I'm under my suggest caloric intake every day? It says I will reach my desired weight if I eat more than I'm currently eating. That's what I don't understand?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Are you maybe logging less than 1200 calories per day (or was it 1000?)?
    If you're under a certain amount MFP tells you you're not eating enough for proper nutrition.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    JayLeitao wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments, they were so fast and I learned a lot! Basically my goal weight is 5 kilos less than my current weight, but MFP is telling me that I'm not reaching my caloric intake goal ever and so my weight will stay the same rather than losing. And that's what I don't understand...how is my weight staying the same (and not reducing) according to MFP if I'm under my suggest caloric intake every day? It says I will reach my desired weight if I eat more than I'm currently eating. That's what I don't understand?

What is the max calories MFP has given you?

• JayLeitao
    Options
    2300 and I hit on average about 1200, sometimes less than 1000. I guess steven's answer makes the most sense but for example when I look at my timeline, the line is staying constant, even though MFP tells me that I need to eat more to reach the weight I want and tells me I'll be two kilos less than my current goal in 5 weeks if I keep eating like this. Why is there no movement?
  • JayLeitao
    Options
    Okay so basically to sum it up I am 60kg, set my goal to 55, every day it tells me "if you keep eating like today you will weigh..." and anywhere between 51 to 55 kilos (it changes every day of course) but apparently I have not lost any weight so far because I have not hit my caloric goal once, which is MUCH higher than what I'm consuming. It doesn't make sense, surely I should be losing weight if I'm eating LESS than what I need to drop to 55?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The "If every day were like today" message is garbage. Ignore it.

For how long have you been trying to lose weight but not succeeded?
  • JayLeitao
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It hasn't really been that way, I have been in my current lifestyle activity for 4 months now and have dropped an incredible amount of weight just by chance, so I wanted to start documenting it without making any changes in my activity/eating habits just to see the rate at which I'm losing/how much I'll lose if I continue this way. I've only been using the MFP for a week now but haven't gone up/down a pound even though I'm told that my caloric intake is much below what it should be. It's just strange to me. Basically I'm not actually trying to lose weight, I just want to see what my daily habits are doing for me because I've lost about 8 kilos from these past 4 months from the looks of it!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    A week is not enough time to make an informed decision, especially if you're doing the same things you were doing before, just documenting them. Weight loss is not linear.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    JayLeitao wrote: »
    2300 and I hit on average about 1200, sometimes less than 1000. I guess steven's answer makes the most sense but for example when I look at my timeline, the line is staying constant, even though MFP tells me that I need to eat more to reach the weight I want and tells me I'll be two kilos less than my current goal in 5 weeks if I keep eating like this. Why is there no movement?

You have to actually enter any weight loss that you have achieved into your profile to have your timeline move, regardless of what MFP is telling you what will happen.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think she is referring to the message that pops up about eating less than 1200 calories. If you read it... it says "EAT MORE!!"

In other words, OP, you are not eating enough. Make sure to always NET above 1200 (so food - exercise) and it will stop giving you that message.

Honestly, since your exercise is fairly constant on a daily basis, I would change my activity level to active or very active if I were you and then stop entering in exercise. That way you eat the same thing everyday. Always more than 1200.