I'm Concerned I Lost Muscle Mass!

Options
For the past 2 weeks, I was only able to make it to the gym a few times. Today, I noticed a significant loss of 3 lbs on my home scale, within 3 days. I'm 5'3", now at 154 and concerned that I lost my muscle mass. Is it possible to loss muscle mass this quickly, within this time frame, in the absence of my normal workout? Thanks in advanced for your help.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Most likely, some was water, some was fat, some was muscle.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Most likely it is water weight loss. When you workout (especially with weights) your muscles retain water to help repair themselves. You probably lost this water weight. You usually will lose muscle when you eat far too few calories over a period of time.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It's a process. Two weeks is a drop in the bucket. Don't worry about it
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Most likely it is water weight loss. When you workout (especially with weights) your muscles retain water to help repair themselves. You probably lost this water weight. You usually will lose muscle when you eat far too few calories over a period of time.
    If you lose non-water weight, some of it's going to be muscle. No matter what you do or how small the deficit.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Little to no loss I would guess as I think atrophy starts from around 72 hours without stimulus.
  • the_comeback
    the_comeback Posts: 2,199 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. It takes a good while to start losing muscle mass (atrophy). Actually giving your muscles a little break to recover is always good, and usually come back feeling better.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight. Muscle doesn't atrophy in days. You can usually get an idea if you are losing fat or muscle by tracking your lean body mass through a bit of math if you know the change in your body fat percent.
  • itsmethao
    itsmethao Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your informed replies! I feel much better now. I don't know my BF% but a measurement will be in the works soon when I meet with a PT next. I'm apprehensive about starting a heavy lifting program and I'm hoping a PT could help me get past my qualms.
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it, your body fluctuates so much depending on water retention, water intake, sodium intake, protein synthesis, anabolism, catabolism, etc. etc. Yes, it would be advisable to look into weight training, anytime you are cutting/losing weight you will lose some lean muscle mass, the only way to counteract that is strength training. You will not gain muscle during a caloric deficit, but you will maintain. That is the key. With a good meal plan and good strength training you will do great.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    This is not the concern you are looking for.

It is irrelevant/unimportant at this time.

Move along ...
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    When you went back to the gym were you having trouble lifting weight you could 2weeks earlier?