The truth about calories tv series

Options
13»

Replies

• louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I watched this back in April here in the UK. The calorie burn test is very subjuctive! If I remember correctly it was 1 hour gym workout vs the morning cleaning the whole house. How can you compare? It's not the same time unit. Also my point of view was surely you should do the hour at the gym then go home and do the house work anyway. What wrong with doing both! The house work is every day life for most of us any way.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Was it good? Did they explain how they measure calories? That's something I'd like to see. I have precious little knowledge about how they come up with how many calories are in this or that. I know what a "calorie" represents, but the actual process of measuring and totaling is something I'd enjoy watching.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    louise5779 wrote: »
    I watched this back in April here in the UK. The calorie burn test is very subjuctive! If I remember correctly it was 1 hour gym workout vs the morning cleaning the whole house. How can you compare? It's not the same time unit. Also my point of view was surely you should do the hour at the gym then go home and do the house work anyway. What wrong with doing both! The house work is every day life for most of us any way.

Didn't watch it. If their claim approximates as "you can burn as much in four hours of walking around as with one hour of running" - yeah, there's considerable validity to that. It would scale to something around 3 hours of casual walking around for 45 minutes of 30DS or etc.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'd say anyone on here who has lost weight by counting calories will find this show to be particularly worthless, lol

Truth
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Was it good? Did they explain how they measure calories? That's something I'd like to see. I have precious little knowledge about how they come up with how many calories are in this or that. I know what a "calorie" represents, but the actual process of measuring and totaling is something I'd enjoy watching.

It was good. I sat with the kids and it was a good vehicle for discussing energy in and energy out. I don't want them to end up counting calories as such but to be aware of why some choices are better than others (in a non calorie counting population to maintain weight). They did show how they come up with the numbers.

It really hit home with the kids I think how a little extra every day over the course of a year can add up. Eg, they were quite shocked at his dismay at the serving size of Doritos (for an experiment and he saw it as too large) - the kids thought it was too small. So Dad pulls out a bag of chips and we showed them a serving size (approx 15chips). Kids were disgusted - way too small lol. So then we discussed how some foods are better to think of as purely for taste...if you are truly hungry eat something satisfying first. Anyhow, big discussion in all areas. I know they won't have grasped it all but It was worth it.
  • Qskim
    Options
    What was the truth about calories, then? That they should be delicious?

Yes but perhaps swap for less dense calorie options in cooking without sacrificing delish (this is non calorie counting context).
  • Qskim
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Didn't watch it. If their claim approximates as "you can burn as much in four hours of walking around as with one hour of running" - yeah, there's considerable validity to that. It would scale to something around 3 hours of casual walking around for 45 minutes of 30DS or etc.

NEAT is undervalued? For some it can make a big difference to get that NEAT up to "average"? In the very beginning I know it made a difference to think of averaging my NEAT at least. Less overwhelming when I realised moving more was simply that - not aerobicise till I die.

Not arguing just thinking out loud.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There wasn't anything on the show that I hadn't already learned here. Next weeks sugar episode should be interesting tho, as this is always a huge debate here..
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »

NEAT is undervalued? For some it can make a big difference to get that NEAT up to "average"? In the very beginning I know it made a difference to think of averaging my NEAT at least. Less overwhelming when I realised moving more was simply that - not aerobicise till I die.

NEAT shouldn't be undervalued. The military figured this out ages ago - boot camp isn't hard because you have PT a few mornings a week, it's hard because you spend 10 hours a day on your feet in low intensity movement. That burn adds up...
  • Qskim
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »

NEAT shouldn't be undervalued. The military figured this out ages ago - boot camp isn't hard because you have PT a few mornings a week, it's hard because you spend 10 hours a day on your feet in low intensity movement. That burn adds up...

That's what I've been thinking. NEAT is more sustainable for the average Joe. Plus it has knock on effect...being more organised, clearing head and suddenly realising you can fit in extra enjoyable activity. Read that Lyle McDonald article (ages old but I think you'd have seen it too) re...people exercise and then crash on couch rest of day...basically wipe out exercise benefit or at least lessen the burn factor.

And then I think of ageing and how our pace/fidget factor decreases without being conscious of it. 1/2hour walking to compensate....so I can see the value in making something like that a life long habit.