How do YOU spend your calories?

Options

Replies

• maroro123
    maroro123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I still eat what I like - just in moderation. I've tried to eliminate foods before and it's never worked in the long run. Chips (and just about anything salty) are my downfall.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I'm eating/liking veggies for the first time in my life
    I'm drinking just water or my home made smoothies and ditch soda and juice (because I wanted to not because I needed it to)
    Besides that I eat the same but just less, still eating bread and rice daily, I still go to mcdonald's or eat out but I just know what to order or how much to eat.

I dont feel deprive, and that is the best feeling someone can achieve while losing weight (IMO)
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    icck wrote: »
    Generally the same as I did before just in smaller quantities, but I'm a bit more smart about it I'd say and try to justify foods to myself. When I want to eat something I look at whether I consider it worthwhile - will I feel like I've wasted calories after eating it? Is there something more nutritionally dense that would satisfy me just as much?

This.

I'm always looking for foods that give me the most volume for the least calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I eat less of what I used to eat and have worked to add in more fruits/veggies. Diary's open. Down 161# if that holds any weight.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I eat primarily as I did before but I have always been nutrition conscious and steered away from junk foods. I do tend to consume more nutrition dense foods and stay away from high calorie/low nutrition foods.

It is a matter of satiety, 100 kcal of beans fills my belly much fuller than 100 kcal of ice cream.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I eat less of what I used to eat and have worked to add in more fruits/veggies. Diary's open. Down 161# if that holds any weight.

That's freaking AWESOME!!

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I eat what I want, aiming for a balance of satiety and beloved foods. Sometimes I eat less of my favorites, in order to feel more full... other times I eat more of my favs and feel hungry.

I spend way too many calories on coffee with creamer, and I love my processed foods. And donuts. Oh, and chips. eta... and Pizza... and alcohol.

But thankfully I also like chicken, fruit, veggies, almonds, eggs, etc.

So it usually balances out in the end.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    For the most part I eat what I want and the same things as before. I have pizza almost every week (and basically, that means pizza for lunch for 4 out of 7 days/week), as I love to make it at home.

However, I did cut most of the night snacking. I used to buy a container of cookies and eat way too many of them. I stopped buying other candies too. However, if I'm over my parents and they have cookies or candy bars, I'll eat them over there and make them fit in my calories.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I also eat the same stuff as when i was gaining, just less of it. I have a LOT more fruit and vegetables though, and that's perfectly fine for me. If i felt like i was deprived I'd have stopped long ago
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Lost 101 pounds by just eating less

I like to think of it as eating balanced :)
    I always did, only too much when i became sedentary.

So a lot of herbs/veggies/fruit/nuts some diary but also crackers/bread/pasta/pizza if i want too.
    I eat it all except salt and this for medical issues.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had a crappy diet. Eating s crappy diet in moderation was not the solution.

So I eat much more nutrient dense foods and eat vegetables now and even fruit...!

I eat a small deficit and exercise more to burn fat.

I don't like feeling starved.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have cut out most grains, especially highly processed ones, because I feel better when I do. As a consequence this has also cut lots of calories out of my day. I do eat quinoa, and some rice, and oatmeal, but gone are the cookies, cupcakes, chips, etc. I sometimes make muffins and freeze them so I can have just one without the others going stale. Also I make them smaller than the HUGE ones I used to eat from Costco. Chips I've cut entirely for now because I cannot eat just a few -- if they're there I'll eat too many. -- I do eat pizza occasionally because, in my humble opinion, life without pizza is just sad. :wink:

I've also cut out a second or third glass of wine, and I sip my one glass more slowly. I realized that the after-dinner wine was just a habit, plus I always had to have something crunchy and salty with it. And it's hard to find anything "crunchy and salty" that isn't high in calories.

I'm eating a lot more vegetables because I often try to have a big salad for lunch. I'm also eating sliced raw veggies more often as a snack (with hummus to dip in, usually).

I'm just more mindful of when I'm hungry and what I'm putting in my mouth. Especially that "am I really hungry?" question. Often I'm not -- often it's that I'm thirsty, or that it's just habit.

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    So I've lost about 40lbs, and when I started, the first week I simply cut out soda and extra sugar.. was drinking like 5 sodas a day..now I keep my calories low, mostly by just not eating till late in the day and then having a couple meals. I treat myself to everything I used to, cept soda, but only every now and then. It's working, I'm rarely hungry and after about 3 months, I'm feeling really good, much better =)
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I've always been mostly a "healthy foods" type eater (read: lots of veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs blah blah blah), my problem was with the portions.

So, I still eat and cook what I like, just with smaller portions.

Interestingly, I eat more sweets now than I did before. I never had a sweet tooth prior to this!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've always been mostly a "healthy foods" type eater (read: lots of veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs blah blah blah), my problem was with the portions.

Interestingly, I eat more sweets now than I did before. I never had a sweet tooth prior to this!

I always crave sweets more when eating at deficit. I think it's probably instinctive to crave quick fuel sources when you aren't consuming as much as you burn.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

I always crave sweets more when eating at deficit. I think it's probably instinctive to crave quick fuel sources when you aren't consuming as much as you burn.

Ooh, interesting theory. I hadn't considered that.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I don't understand the clean eating vs moderation debate. Why so black and white? I do a combo of both....mostly nutrient-dense, high volume/low calorie food with room for a little bit of the delicious not-so-nutrient dense, low volume/high calorie food. OK, I guess that's technically moderation...but it's not like I'm eating *exactly* what I used to, just less of it. It's a LOT less of it, and a whole lot more of the nutrient-dense items.

Exactly..90%ish I eat "clean" but still allow that 10%ish of IDGAF
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I certainly make better choices now. Less carbs; more protein and fat than before. I eat what I like. That includes fruit, rice, pasta, veggies, fish, lean protein, pizza, chocolate, fast food and well you get the point. I've lost weight just fine.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I eat usually eggs and wheat toast for breakfast. chicken salad on wheat bread for lunch and whatever the heck I want for dinner. Ive lost 7lbs in a week and 3 days.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    One day a week ill eat whatever I want just stay below my calorie allowance