Squat rack questions

Options
Do I really need a squat rack that goes up to 600 lbs +? I found a nice easy for one person to assemble and store that can hold up to 300. For reference I'm 5'1 with a goal weight between 135 and 140, second this is to supplement mma training and my gym only has smith machines for this lift.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For your needs? Probably not.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nah. One of those cheap $300-400 racks is probably more than enough. Powerline, etc...
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    The price difference is not worth the extra capacity. Go with the 300 lbs.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Ty very reassuring.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people use "squat rack" and "squat stand" interchangeably. I wouldn't consider anything that did not have spotter arms for safety reasons. Don't buy just a squat stand.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You plan on putting 3 plates on the back squat anytime soon?
  • shabaity
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    You plan on putting 3 plates on the back squat anytime soon?
    No I'd honestly rather practice hip tossing the guy in class who's like 3 of me O.O he's awesome and would let me o:) but I'm not there yet.
    Sometimes people use "squat rack" and "squat stand" interchangeably. I wouldn't consider anything that did not have spotter arms for safety reasons. Don't buy just a squat stand.
    The one I'm looking at does the oly bar and plates I'd use belong to my dad and he's Gung ho safety first type with lifting.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    My personal goals (as a guy) are currently to deadlift 2x, squat 1.5x, and bench 1x my weight (1 rep max). I've been lifting for less than 1 year at this point. Even if I got to doing sets at 1.5x my weight, 300lb is sufficient. And my goal weight is ~175.

You can always upgrade later (sell it on craigslist, and buy a better one)
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I bought one on sale from Sears for $225. It says it can hold up to 400 lbs, which is way more than I'll ever squat or bench Press.
  • shabaity
    Options
    I found what appears to be a dB fitness stand with spotter arms for cheap online for a really good price.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    $349 and is rated to 600lbs
    Why not if you can get it in your price range? But still probably not needed.

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23773346&clickid=nosearch_cs&recid=nosearch_PageElement_nosearch_rr_1_316
  • shabaity
    Options
    Mostly because I found a $100 one that goes up to 300 that I can set up and move on my own and even better if I move can take with me without having to worry about space too much.