Anyone else get "THAT LOOK"??

Options
2»

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry to crash this post but I'm new(ish) to all this so here goes...
    I'm a recovered anorexic deciding to get in shape. Don't panic I'm not slipping into old ways but my problem is that I need this website to track my progress and keep on top of everything but the last time I used it properly was a year and a bit ago when I was ill. I am slightly worried and cautious not to get too involved just in case but at the moment all I want is to be fit and toned not unhealthy and stick thin. I'm 5'4 and 122lbs if that's relevant but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or feel free to redirect me to someone or some post that can help if necessary. I just want to tone and obviously since recovery I have a bit of VERY NORMAL fat on me belly and hips etc. My BMI is 20.9 and my problem is that I have a small frame but very wide waist and hips (26.5" and 33" respectively). I'd be grateful for any advice as I go on holiday in a week with some very fit and in shape friends so I want to avoid any horrible triggering bikini incidents etc, once again sorry for crashing. Thanks :)

Great job on your recovery efforts. Your strength and determination deserve recognition!

It sounds like you might want to look at body recomposition. When you change your body comp, the goal is to keep the same weight (sometimes even increasing it) while adding more lean muscle mass. It's kinda like the "replace fat with muscle" concept. You accomplish it through strength training and management of macro & micronutrients in addition to calories. There's a really great thread on that topic here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

The OP of thethread is extremely knowledgable, as are many of the contributors, so feel free to ask questions there about the concept and process. They will provide great advice, I'm sure!

Keep in mind that body recomp is a slow, sloow, slooow process. The changes happen gradually, but they do happen.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The look I get is more incredulous than anything. Like for a second they consider it, then they say something like "no, that's crazy and way too hard, I'm gonna keep wearing my waist trainer. I believe this works."*

*actual comment in a conversation I had a week or so ago
    IT Works(wraps), HAHAHA not if you are 150 lbs overweight.... someone I know really does this.

• sashayoung72
    Options
    faithan84 wrote: »
    :smile: It's awesome to read that someone else also obsessively weighs things. I weigh my pots too!

I get annoyed sighs from my Mom when I complain that I overate a healthy food. "Give yourself a break! It's just fruit! It won't kill you."

And yes, I've answered questions that people really didn't want to hear the answer to.

My biggest annoyance is "You're doing so well with your diet!" Ergh... It's a lifestyle change. It wouldn't be bad if this person could come up with a new compliment. Every couple weeks, "You're doing so well with your diet!"
    Completely Understand, and is she naturally skinny? My mom was and would remind me of how little she was at my age when she was 4 inches taller than me and my chest exceeded hers greatly. OBVIOUSLY we weren't the same build. Oh well gotta love em.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    The look I get is more incredulous than anything. Like for a second they consider it, then they say something like "no, that's crazy and way too hard, I'm gonna keep wearing my waist trainer. I believe this works."*

*actual comment in a conversation I had a week or so ago
    IT Works(wraps), HAHAHA not if you are 150 lbs overweight.... someone I know really does this.

It was an interesting conversation. She asked me if I'd ever used one of those waist trainers. Of course I said no, and that I hadn't because it's a scam and does absolutely nothing, then I explained how I had lost the weight.

She said "Well, I don't know about that. I believe that it works."

I just nodded and said "well, okay then. good luck."
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I tell them portion control and exercise, get the look, and then they start telling me about some "____ Diet" they saw on Pinterest that sucks belly fat out of you. :# I gave up explaining how belly fat doesn't just magically disappear with lemon water..now I just nod my head.
  • sashayoung72
    Options
    I tell them portion control and exercise, get the look, and then they start telling me about some "____ Diet" they saw on Pinterest that sucks belly fat out of you. :# I gave up explaining how belly fat doesn't just magically disappear with lemon water..now I just nod my head.
    Oh yes, Lemon Water!!! It cures EVERYTHING! But I guess if it gets you to drink your daily, more power to the lemon lol

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, Lemon Water!!! It cures EVERYTHING! But I guess if it gets you to drink your daily, more power to the lemon lol

No, but coconut oil works. ;)
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Most people don't really want to know the details any way.

/thread

• tincanonastring
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »

No, but coconut oil works. ;)

Bulletproof Coffee FTW!!!!
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @JustChristy79 Love your attitude.

And no, people quite often don't want to know about anything that consists of hard work, I suppose we'd all like a magic pill that solved all our weight/health issues without having to change our lifestyle, but there's something satisfying in the hard work route.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I told someone the other day, totally straight faced "I only eat if I can do it naked, in front of a mirror ".
    I think I'm going to use that more often ;)
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't get the look too often as I'm a rather imposing 6'1" bloke, so I tend not to attract the preconceptions that I lost it through anything other than sensible diet and exercise.

I am cultivating the "oh you poor fool" look for people who insist on telling me how wonderful their "detox" diet is however >:)

Especially if it involves body wraps...
  • sashayoung72
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    I told someone the other day, totally straight faced "I only eat if I can do it naked, in front of a mirror ".
    I think I'm going to use that more often ;)

This is awesome! LOL

• sashayoung72
    Options
    ismg68 wrote: »
    I don't get the look too often as I'm a rather imposing 6'1" bloke, so I tend not to attract the preconceptions that I lost it through anything other than sensible diet and exercise.

I am cultivating the "oh you poor fool" look for people who insist on telling me how wonderful their "detox" diet is however >:)

When they mention wraps, my lip quivers up like i'm trying to do an elvis impersonation and I haven't a clue what to say!
  • tincanonastring
    Options

When they mention wraps, my lip quivers up like i'm trying to do an elvis impersonation and I haven't a clue what to say!

I ask if they've got an extra so I can store my leftovers.
  • sashayoung72
    Options

I ask if they've got an extra so I can store my leftovers.

I can tell you are absolutely hilarious, and I will remember that!