Too few calories over a period of years

Options
2»

Replies

• poejegg
    poejegg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What I'm afraid of Madhatter is that I'll lose it so fast that I'll bounce back. What I'd like to do is find out what my balance should be, consensus seems to be for 1800 at the minute.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    poejegg wrote: »
    What I'm afraid of Madhatter is that I'll lose it so fast that I'll bounce back. What I'd like to do is find out what my balance should be, consensus seems to be for 1800 at the minute.

The bounce back effect I think is because people don't realize that you have to change eating habits. If it was just a diet to get weight off and nothing change of course weight gain is a probable possibility.

• poejegg
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

The bounce back effect I think is because people don't realize that you have to change eating habits. If it was just a diet to get weight off and nothing change of course weight gain is a probable possibility.

I see. Honestly I think I can get by on 1200-1500 calories + exercise. I've no intention of going back to my old habits. I had a personal event recently which was a breaking point. I'm working on a flat torso and I'm building muscle. I'm doing it as quickly as possible, because right now I just can't be like this. I've already noticed a huge difference in how I'm perceived by the opposite sex after just 9lb and I've still got 10% body fat to go before I'll be satisfied. I just really really don't want it to come back when I'm done - my intention is to eat all the things I've learnt to make over the next few months but in a greater 'maintenance' quantities.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

As long as you stay self concious about what you put in your body, you won't bounce back. Bouncing back is for people who do fad diets wanting the quick fix and not the lifestyle change. You have 10 lbs to lose, according to your tracker, so I'd shoot for 2000 a day. According to this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to lose at a 5% deficit, you should consume roughly 2076 a day and you would still lose. This is assuming your sedentary. If you want a magic number, assuming your not very active, I would shoot for 1800-2000 bare minimum.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

I see. Honestly I think I can get by on 1200-1500 calories + exercise. I've no intention of going back to my old habits. I had a personal event recently which was a breaking point. I'm working on a flat torso and I'm building muscle. I'm doing it as quickly as possible, because right now I just can't be like this. I've already noticed a huge difference in how I'm perceived by the opposite sex after just 9lb and I've still got 10% body fat to go before I'll be satisfied. I just really really don't want it to come back when I'm done - my intention is to eat all the things I've learnt to make over the next few months but in a greater 'maintenance' quantities.

And the truth comes out LOL :smiley: Nothing bad. This is a positive side effect, however, you need to be changing your lifestyle for you and not just to get dates. With only 10 lbs to lose and a little BF, I would look into recomp rather than focusing on the number on the scale.
  • yopeeps025
    edited August 2015
    Options

We all have to sort extent. You sound like how I was right before I started using MFP.

Welcome to that club. It will get bigger as you keep becoming more confident and if that is with weight loss get it done.

• poejegg
    Options
    Thank you all! A lot of very positive responses and really good advice! Just what I needed. What a great bunch of people :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the incredibly fast responses! My dinners and breakfasts are weighed at home. Lunch is often from the canteen but since I began has always been salad, no meat, occasionally an egg. Breakfast is always a banana. Dinners have been weighed on a scale, under 400 calories and made at home from bbc good food super healthy meals. Snacks are typically a banana or on occasion a flapjack.

Resistance training - yes! I enjoy this. I do 20 minutes running at intervals and then move on to 3-5 sets of 10 on cheat press, bicep curl and crunches.

Jaga, I think alcohol and bad foods (pizzas etc) may have been a problem rather than quantity. 1800 is struggle to eat that much and I dobt diet often. What do you think?

No, it was the quantity. Alcohol and pizza contributed to the quantity. It is always a matter of too many calories.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Thank you all! A lot of very positive responses and really good advice! Just what I needed. What a great bunch of people :)
    That is because we as a MFP community know the struggle and the real world does not. The real world won't understand the struggle