1000-1200 calories per day

Options
Anyone else in the 1000-1200 range? Add me!
(I know it's not much but it's what was recommended for me at 5' 2" 144lbs)

And for those who are in that range, how many days, if any, do you go over it?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Just curious, who recc'd that amount?

I think there's a 1200 calorie group on here.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    1200 net calories is the RDA minimum...

Going below for sustained periods of time is not healthy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I eat around 1200/day. It is hard enough to get all your micros on 1200.

I went through a long stretch were I ate around 800-1000 most days and I took supplements because I couldn't get enough of what I needed. Iron, especially. Now that I can eat more, it's much easier.

If you haven't seen a doctor, I'd advise you do that! You want to know you're healthy and doing the healthiest things you can for yourself.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That's me when I started 3 ish weeks ago. 5'2 (& a half!), was 143.6 and got 1200. I'm at a higher daily calorie count now as I've dropped my goal from 1lb a week to .5 lb a week, to slow down the weight loss.

I went over a few times but my net calories were fine- when I went over I was just eating a bit into my exercise calories.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Raises hand!

I try to stick to 1200 Monday through Friday and bank my exercise calories. We always go out to eat for dinner on Saturday and Sunday, so I give myself more leeway then and use the banked calories.
  • missdani6
    missdani6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I spoke with my obgyn since I recently had a baby and I am not breastfeeding. I also checked out a few calorie counter websites.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    missdani6 wrote: »

I spoke with my obgyn since I recently had a baby and I am not breastfeeding. I also checked out a few calorie counter websites.

Here's another one

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This is your maintenance (include exercise).....take 250 calories off for 1/2 pound a week.

1 pound a week is really aggressive with only 14 pounds to go (that's why MFP bottomed out at 1200)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    missdani6 wrote: »

Well I hope you're eating your exercise calories back or at least some of them.

Which calorie counter websites? I want to check how many calories they would give me since I've never had any of the sites I go to (scoobys for one) recommend 1200 calories.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft and I'm on the same amount. 102lbs with last 4 to go. I go off freedieting.com. To be honest I'm pretty satisfied on this amount. If I go over its for a weekend treat- but I go by weekly average anyway. I only eat back exercise cals if I'm hungry.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    1000-1200 calories a day is the kind of numbers a bariatric patient would use, not a "regular" person. I wish I could stress how incredibly dangerous that kind of calorie number is for the average person, especially one not tightly under a doctor's care.

Scooby's gave me 1220 calories with your stats on a 25% reduction, which is the highest possible. There were "danger" pop-ups for a reason. It's completely unreasonable and yes, dangerous. Even a 20% reduction, which is still rather extreme, gave 1301 calories. You can lose weight at 1200, but that doesn't mean it's a healthy loss. You can also damage organs, including your brain. I don't recommend that.

Use MFP. Use Scooby's. Follow the guidelines.