How can I break free from food cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    There is no need for special "x day" diets. If you can fit a treat into your day without skipping meals or being low on nutrients, then do it.

Otherwise, just keep saying no.
    Even if you say no long enough to resist the food for 10 minutes, you are still saying no.
    It might take 2 weeks to say no and mean it, but each time you resist, you get stronger.

I resisted changing my eating habits because I was so certain that I could never say no to my cravings. One day I started saying no and it worked. By the 100th time I said no, I didn't even realise I WAS saying no.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Just let my cravings win out---sm. Dairy Queen blizzard....650 calories ouch!!!

You can eat one of those every day so long as you don't eat enough other things to push you over your calorie limit.

Not that I'd recommend that, nutrition-wise, but you would still lose weight.

• lynlittles3
    lynlittles3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I don't have those very often. That's only my 2nd one this summer. But I did manage to stay on track and not go over for the day.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I don't have those very often. That's only my 2nd one this summer. But I did manage to stay on track and not go over for the day.

Well done! Now you know that you can fit in treats and not wreck your calorie intake.

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Just work them into your day. I love pizza, to fight craving for it and the resulting binge, i plan it for dinner every friday night with my kids. that way I know its coming and can adjust for it but I also get to eat what I want.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Time, patience, healthy distractions or, my fave, IIFYM
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Work them into your day!!! If my kids want ice cream in the house, I get those ice cream snicker bars: 180 calories!! :D And yes...MOM deserves one.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    McDonald's strawberry sundae, 280 calories. DQ probably has lower calorie options, too. Or keep 100 calorie ice cream treats in your freezer. When someone suggests a blizzard, say "no, let's eat the ice cream we have at home." Or share a blizzard for half the calories.
  • 218Beth
    218Beth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My neighbor brought home peaches from the South and sent his daughter over with a dozen or so. I brought one in for my snack at work. OMG it was amazing. And promptly started up my sugar cravings. :-( Plus I'm bored and procrastinating on something.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    what-would-nancy-reagan-do-justsayno.png
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Best way to avoid cravings that i think works best is 1.have that treat on occasion not regularly set a date each month where you have it so that your mind doesnt think its just completely not an option.

2. find something to make similar thats healthy make a kick *kitten* greek yogurt snack you would be surprised by how good it is
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    218Beth wrote: »
    My neighbor brought home peaches from the South and sent his daughter over with a dozen or so. I brought one in for my snack at work. OMG it was amazing. And promptly started up my sugar cravings. :-( Plus I'm bored and procrastinating on something.

Im the same way. I can have cake, pie or other sweet treats and not crave more. but if I have fruit I constantly crave sugar! I dont eat alot of fruit for that reason alone.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Are your cravings born from you being truly hungry, or because you are bored, depressed, <insert reason here>?
    Really neither bored nor depressed. We were driving by, my husband mentioned one and I let the sweet tooth take over.

My fiance and I used to get ice cream at road side places until I realized that the "small"s were 8 - 12 ounces. Now I get the Ben & Jerry's 4 ounce minis. Last night I didn't even have my own mini - just a few bites of his.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just make up for it the next day/week. You're not going to undue your efforts from one blizzard. Consider it fuel for your next workout.

Seriously who can resist a Blizzard?
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just let my cravings win out---sm. Dairy Queen blizzard....650 calories ouch!!!

thank god I'm in NY and there are only a couple DQ's by me. (the closest one is a 45 min away) When they opened, My friend and i drove there and when i saw it was 650 calories i told myself never again....

if you are having trouble staying away from DQ blizzards, buy a frozen fruit bar or some icecream that is much less in calories. I'm sure you can take a some supermarket icecream, throw in some nuts. and it will be less than 650!
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    McDonald's strawberry sundae, 280 calories. DQ probably has lower calorie options, too. Or keep 100 calorie ice cream treats in your freezer. When someone suggests a blizzard, say "no, let's eat the ice cream we have at home." Or share a blizzard for half the calories.

if you've ever seen DQ's small blizzard, you dont want to share with anyone :P way too small for 650 calories!

i agree on getting a lower calorie icecream
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Here are your options:

1) Have a little.

2) Have none.

Pick one and move on with your life.

Make sure you drink enough water and don't eat when you're bored.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I missed my blizzards for a while. From the day they arrived on the junk food scene, I really was a huge fan of the Blizzard.

Oddly, I don't miss them anymore. I don't even want one. I can buy them for others and not even be jealous like I might be if it were ribs or cheeseburgers or whatever. Red meats are the things I miss most at this point, not donuts and ice cream. But missing the ice cream was good and strong for a while!!! It's not easy to cut that stuff out of a diet! Not for me, anyway.

Some people find that including small amounts of their favorite foods prevents them from binging on the items they like best. Others find it easier to just cut the stuff out. Some cut it and then, later, eat little bits.

You have to see what works for you. Try a strategy. If it doesn't work, try another. Keep trying and eventually you will succeed!!! :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A crave is a request, not a demand that need be obeyed, right?

They can be safely ignored/denied with no consequence.
  • greengirl4
    greengirl4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just find a way to reduce the portion. You don't have to eat the whole thing. Eat half then throw the rest away. If you feel guilty about throwing away food, you could give it to a homeless person on the corner. Germs are probably the least of their worries. :) Count it as one of your meals. I know I've had a blizzard for dinner more than once. Then go out and walk. Or try that cool Ketogenic diet.

I hope that was a joke, maybe OP could offer said homeless person the remainder of her half eaten apple as well. Gross and disrespectful.