Cheat Days

2»

Replies

• J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    I add in my treats with my calorie limit and go hard the next workout. Are you not crushing the entire week that you ate well and worked out, for one cheat day? Setting yourself up for failure.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Deficit. Deficit. Deficit. Deficit. Deficit. Deficit.
  • vanessaepc1
    vanessaepc1 Posts: 6 Member
    I read once that it's supposed to be a extra high carbs day but keeping it low fat. And it was recommended to select one meal in a week for eating whatever you want as long as it doesn't exceed 600-700 calories. Not sure how true is that, but I honestly decided to do it because i loooove sweets!!!! So I still select a healthy meal with a really delicious dessert :smile:
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    A cheat day for me includes staying under my calorie goal but not worrying about macros.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    You are responsible for what and how much you eat. If you want to eat more because you need a break then do so, but it doesnt change the fact that you still need to achieve a consistent calorie deficit over time. Your choice.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Planned cheat days I think are just a sign your being too strict, say every 2nd Saturday you plan to pig out a bit. Just seems like your overall plan is too strict if that's required.

Having days where your not caring about your deficit seem fine if there is a good reason behind it, like weddings etc
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Cheat Day? Cheat Meal? Good idea or terrible idea?

Great idea. Every weekend I would have ONE meal where I'd eat literally whatever and I regularly lost weight every week. It's always nice to have something to look forward to.
  • ciki90
    ciki90 Posts: 51 Member
    Depends on your goals. If you're coming from a place of obesity, I don't think cheat meals or days are a good idea. Your main focus at that point is portion control and reteaching yourself to love healthier foods. Eating unhealthy (high salt, high fat, high sugar, processed) just messed with your taste buds and doesn't allow for appreciation of the taste of "real foods."

If you've lost a substantial amount of weight and need to lose the last 5-15lbs, but already have a generally good muscular base (higher metabolism), then your diet may be slightly stricter, but you have already implemented healthy eating as a lifestyle change. In this circumstance, having one chest MEAL not day, every so often, can keep your body guessing and psychologically help you - so you don't get bored wth foods and don't feel socially deprived. The occasional bump in calories, sodium, and sugars can replenish glycogen stores and boost your performance at the gym.

However, you still need to think of cheat meals from a nutritional standpoint. You don't have to go for your usual "diet", but aim for something with some protein and fiber. Try to balance the cheat meal by also having a low-calorie side dish that will help fill you up (like a salad,soup, or fresh veggies alongside your cheat.) In my opinion, a successful cheat meal would start with the filling, healthy portion, and then you can go for the steak/pizza/ice cream/cheeseburger/fries/sushi.... you get the idea. You're still cheating, but it will have less of an impact on your deficit for the week. And make sure that you take the opportunity to have a killer workout to take advantage of your fueled up body :)
  • ciki90
    ciki90 Posts: 51 Member
    Sorry for the typos - disadvantages of typing out a novel on my phone. :p
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    My cheat MEAL is Saturday for lunch and I eat half of what I previously would. And I log that sucker!