Burning fat?

Options
I know weight training, squats and crunches are suppose to define your muscles... But how exactly do one burn the fat to see these define muscles? Ive been walking alot lately and cutting down on the crap ive been eating, but it doesnt seem to be working. Can someone help?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How long is lately? Are you accurately logging? Are your expectations reasonable?
  • denikagrouchy
    denikagrouchy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For the amount i chaned my lifestyle, i would expect results in 2 weeks and i am logging as much as i know
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't long enough. Keep it up, make sure you're in a calorie deficit, and the results will come.
  • denikagrouchy
    Options
    Is there anything to do to target fat burning?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You expect results in 2 weeks? What sort? How much do you have to lose, how much calorie deficit per week or per day are you creating? I imagine you are being unrealistic and impatient.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is too short of a time to be discouraged. If you want to lose fat, eat at a deficit. Lift more to maintain muscle while you're in the calorie deficit. Be patient.
  • denikagrouchy
    Options
    Yeah, i guess you guys are right. Maybe i am being a little impatient with it, i just find it so hard to stay motivated without seeing progress. Thanks anywyas!
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Yeah, i guess you guys are right. Maybe i am being a little impatient with it, i just find it so hard to stay motivated without seeing progress. Thanks anywyas!

You're not alone...everyone wants that, give it a couple more weeks and if nothing changes, reevaluate what you're doing.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I know weight training, squats and crunches are suppose to define your muscles... But how exactly do one burn the fat to see these define muscles? Ive been walking alot lately and cutting down on the crap ive been eating, but it doesnt seem to be working. Can someone help?

What exactly does this mean? "Cutting down" is a completely subjective term, and doesn't carry any significance, really.

Are you eating at a deficit? Are you weighing and logging your food regularly? If you're not, than cutting down on anything is going to do you no good at all. You can still gain/not lose weight if you're eating too much, even if it's "healthy" food.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is too soon. Believe me, it takes WAY more time. And it's also depends on the nutrients you receive. To build muscle, you need LOTS of protein, especially after a workout to repair broken tissue as well. And no, you can't spot reduce.
  • Jim_Smith33
    Jim_Smith33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Start doing a lot of cardio and eating clean and the fat will just melt off.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Start doing a lot of cardio and eating clean and the fat will just melt off.

That's not how this works. You can overeat "clean" foods too, whatever that means. I personally wash my food so it's not dirty :D

You need to be at a caloric deficit to lose weight, which is what you created by doing lots of cardio and eating "clean." Correlation =\= causation.
  • denikagrouchy
    Options
    I have been eating at a calorie deficit, some days its more than other, does it make that much of a difference if its not the same every day?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    I have been eating at a calorie deficit, some days its more than other, does it make that much of a difference if its not the same every day?

As long as you're under your goal number, it doesn't matter.
  • svelky1
    svelky1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    In order to lose 1 pound, you need to burn off 3500 calories. Go here: caloriecontrol.org/calculator/weight-maintenance-calculator-women to see what calorie amount you need to maintain your current weight. When you know how much that is you can just adjust your food intake lower and exercise higher to burn off 500 calories a day for 7 days to lose 1 pound per week ^_^ (or any combination of calorie reduction & exercise boost)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    For the amount i chaned my lifestyle, i would expect results in 2 weeks and i am logging as much as i know

I cut out food containing sugar and/or grains and it was at least three months before lost enough fat to start to see muscles in the calf of my legs for example. This is going to be very different for different people in most cases.

• denikagrouchy
    Options

I cut out food containing sugar and/or grains and it was at least three months before lost enough fat to start to see muscles in the calf of my legs for example. This is going to be very different for different people in most cases.
    I thought whole grain bread was good for you.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I thought whole grain bread was good for you.
    Grains are good for you. I agree with the sugar part (unless fruit) but I disagree with the cutting out grains. I eat quinoa or brown rice on almost a daily basis and it has helped me a massive amount.

• Ctbiggs
    Ctbiggs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Setting up a calorie goal and sticking to it by tracking your intake is going to be super helpful. Resistance training build lean muscle would you burn fat. Also increase cardio to burn adfitional calories and fat.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    BTW, don't forget the weight training; walking will only do so much. If you really want definition and to lean out you need to add the weight training to the mix. B)