Are we being lied to??

Options
I recently heard that labeling laws allow a 20% margin of error on the nutrition facts of foods. Is this true? How will we be able to track calories properly?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Yes, in the US the FDA labeling regs allow for up to a 20% error margin in the nutrition facts. Since most food is an agricultural product, or derived from agricultural products, there are always going to be variations in the ingredients used. The error margin allows for that fact, and the testing of ingredients is often done several times across batches to have a reasonable average profile for the label.

Even though that is a relatively large error, you have to consider that those errors fall both ways: some high, some low. Unless you're eating the same exact product, meal after meal, the errors balance out closer to what you track.

In the end, the point of using a scale to weigh your portions is to minimize the errors you can control so that you don't compound the inherent errors in labelling.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've been told that it's very difficult to get 100% accuracy and that's the reason that things can be off. They just can't promise that the numbers are exact.

I've never personally spoken to anyone who does the measuring, though. I got it from someone who talked to a weight loss expert who had talked to people who do it and seen this stuff done.

I'd love to ask them myself. Or see how they do it. Or both. :)

I don't think they're lying. They just can't be all that sure.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    As long as it's a margin of error as in plus and minus then it should even out over the course of a day shouldn't it.

500 cal plus 11% plus 500 cal minus 9% ends up being pretty close to 1000 calories.

Or is it just industries rounding down? Like do say potato chips that are actually 200 cal get listed as 165 cal so they appear healthier and remain in the 20% margin of error?
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I figure in 20% if I am eating packaged food or food I can't weigh. It works pretty well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I watched a show the other night where they had a bunch of different foods. Some were 10% over while others were 10% under.

There is no such thing as 100% accurate in this game, not exercise calories or food calories etc etc even the TDEE calculators aren't spot on.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I watched a show the other night where they had a bunch of different foods. Some were 10% over while others were 10% under.

There is no such thing as 100% accurate in this game, not exercise calories or food calories etc etc even the TDEE calculators aren't spot on.

Was it random or did some foods tend to go over or under more often?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can't track accurately. Do the best you can and don't sweat the tiny details. It's the big picture and the trend that matters, not whether you consume 1423 calories or 1647 calories on average. If you're not losing, just eat less. It's very simple. The numbers don't really matter at all.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It's not so much lies as random (and quite normal) variation in both the testing/measuring of the calories AND variation in the inputs (one apple may have, say, 12% more sugar than another ... grown on the same tree) AND in the mass production process of most packaged foods.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Most foods are over what the label says in weight or volume.

Exact weights would just cost too much to measure and verify. It's cheaper to just insure that most aren't underweight, while not going over too much which cuts into profits.

Underweighing consistently can get a company in trouble for "truth in advertising" all the way up to fraud depending on how extreme they go under and how many purchases were affected. Because of that, the weight or volume on the package is a minimum in most cases with a smidgen more added to what the label says. Even when packaging varies a little over and under, the average tends to still be just a bit over.

Being 5-10% off on your calorie count for some items really shouldn't be a big deal, though, since you'd still be pretty close to your calorie deficit anyway. For a 1500 calorie target, you're only talking about maybe 100 calories for the whole day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

They were more over than under unfortunately. And it was totally random. No rhyme or reason.
    They showed a food factory where they make the frozen meals. The lady adding the pasta simply picked up a handful of and tossed it in every packet. No weighing.

It was "the truth about calories " show.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that labeling laws allow a 20% margin of error on the nutrition facts of foods. Is this true? How will we be able to track calories properly?

If you think that's bad, don't look behind the curtain at restaurants...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    As long as it's a margin of error as in plus and minus then it should even out over the course of a day shouldn't it.

There are penalties for putting less in a package than is claimed on the package. There aren't penalties for giving the consumer more than claimed.

So, no, I don't expect these things even out, I expect the distribution of errors skews towards under-estimating.
  • tomatoey
    Options

They were more over than under unfortunately. And it was totally random. No rhyme or reason.
    They showed a food factory where they make the frozen meals. The lady adding the pasta simply picked up a handful of and tossed it in every packet. No weighing.

Haha, oh man, MFP nightmares, all around :/

Ok yeah, that makes sense. (I thought that meat products might tend to go over more often for some reason, but ok.)

Will check out that show!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Actually it's amazing they're even close to a 20% margin of error if it's that bad!
  • ItalianChick90
    ItalianChick90 Posts: 34 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I fell asleep sorry guys and I'm just concerned is all. Yeah it may make only 100 calorie difference per day for example but in a whole year that would add up to 36,500 calories (or 10 pounds) which does make a difference in terms of weight and fitness. I also didn't know if MFP is technically off with calculations because of this or if it rounds it by 20% percent (just a thought). And sometimes I'll see people on this website posting stuff like "I have 50 more calories left for the day. What can/should I eat?" That's an example that there are people who do like to be as precise as they can.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There are tons of things about logging that will be inexact, starting with what your maintenance calories actually are, but what that means is that the worry about 10 extra lbs/year is not realistic.

For example, say you decide that you will maintain on 2000 (based on the calculators) and lose 1 lb / week on 1500. Even assuming you are exactly right (and you probably are not), assume the food is 100 calories more than what you are logging/day so you are really eating 1600 calories. You find after a couple of months that you are averaging a loss of .8 lb/week and not 1 lb/week, so you can decrease your calories to 1400 (although it's really 1500 now, because of the extra calories) and then you start losing a bit more.

The point is that you can't assume that there's some correct number given to you from outside, but have to monitor your own results and adjust. That corrects for the various inaccuracies, if done right.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »

There are penalties for putting less in a package than is claimed on the package. There aren't penalties for giving the consumer more than claimed.

So, no, I don't expect these things even out, I expect the distribution of errors skews towards under-estimating.
    That has nothing to do with the nutritional content per serving. It only affects how much is in the package.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Haha, oh man, MFP nightmares, all around :/

Ok yeah, that makes sense. (I thought that meat products might tend to go over more often for some reason, but ok.)

Will check out that show!

There was actually something in the news awhile ago about how calories tend to be overstated for foods that are higher in protein and fiber. I found it interesting because a lot of people who go low carb tend to up their protein. When they start to lose weight more quickly they assume it is the lower carbs. The increased weight loss may be due, at least in part, to eating at a lower calorie level without knowing it. Here's an article about it:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/27/on-food-labels-calorie-miscounts/?_r=0