Beginner lifter

Options
Hi guys,
I recently started lifting about 2 weeks and half ago. Anyways, I've been doing different exercises but I've noticed that I can't lift very heavy! For example, I can only do 40lb on the lat machine. Also, when I reach the third set of a dumbbell curl, I can barely bring it back up and it's only 5 pounds! Overall, I've noticed I have very poor upper body strength. Does this happen to every one who's a beginner lifter?

I've also done some squats, but the highest I have done is with the iron grip barbell that's 30 pounds and the deadlift with 40 lbs. I think I can say I have a bit more strength in my lower body than upper. However, due to a condition, I was recommended to lower my weights to 20 pounds when performing any type of squat or deadlift. I know it's better to probably do this because I'm afraid my condition may get worse and I'll not be able to lift for several months. So I'm sticking to lighter weights but doing more reps. Can anyone tell me if I'll still see progress?

I'm worried that not lifting heavy and just doing more reps but lighter will just be a waste of time and will be discouraging to not to see results. Thanks, I appreciate all responses.

Btw:
I'm 5'5 and 112 pounds.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are a beginner lifter so it's natural not to be able to lift as much as an experienced lifter at this point. You are also pretty thin so I am guessing that you don't have a lot of muscle mass. You can certainly see strength gains without muscle gains but at a certain point added muscle is necessary.

Are you following some sort of progressive plan?
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Considering you are borderline underweight (according to BMI), food will play a beneficial role in gaining strength. You should be eating to gain weight (above your maintenance calorie goal). A good amount of your calories should come from quality protein and healthy fats which will aid you in building muscle and gaining strength. Strength comes with patience and consistency, so keep lifting as much as you can with proper form and stick to a healthy diet.

I really recommend switching your MFP settings to gaining weight, that way the strength will come alongside muscle growth.

Good luck!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    OP, you're underweight. I understand that you are a new lifter, so you won't be lifting as much as other people.

In terms of nutrition, I reckon you should follow these frameworks for your macros;
    • 500 calorie surplus
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

I'm assuming you've already got a weightlifting program by the sound of it... but I'll throw these in anyways;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5
  • marygoya91
    marygoya91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You are a beginner lifter so it's natural not to be able to lift as much as an experienced lifter at this point. You are also pretty thin so I am guessing that you don't have a lot of muscle mass. You can certainly see strength gains without muscle gains but at a certain point added muscle is necessary.

Yes that's true, I don't have a lot of muscle mass. I'm following an exercise plan and meal plan that was given to me by a personal trainer. However, she just customized my plan for my goals but she doesn't train with me. I'm not able to do certain exercises because of lack of strength. Should I still do them, but with smaller weights and work my way up?
  • marygoya91
    edited August 2015
    Options
    marygoya91 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

Thanks for your response btw!!

• marygoya91
    Options
    Considering you are borderline underweight (according to BMI), food will play a beneficial role in gaining strength. You should be eating to gain weight (above your maintenance calorie goal). A good amount of your calories should come from quality protein and healthy fats which will aid you in building muscle and gaining strength. Strength comes with patience and consistency, so keep lifting as much as you can with proper form and stick to a healthy diet.

I really recommend switching your MFP settings to gaining weight, that way the strength will come alongside muscle growth.

Good luck!

Yes, I recently switched it to gaining 0.5 lbs and for my goal weight to be 120 pounds! I might switch it to 125 pounds soon.
    I eat about 110 to 147 grams of protein,
    190 to 200 grams of carbs
    40 to 50 grams of fat
    Do you think those are good numbers to see results? It usually comes up to be 1,490 to 1,630 calories. Thanks for your response !

• marygoya91
    Options
    OP, you're underweight. I understand that you are a new lifter, so you won't be lifting as much as other people.

In terms of nutrition, I reckon you should follow these frameworks for your macros;
    • 500 calorie surplus

I'm assuming you've already got a weightlifting program by the sound of it... but I'll throw these in anyways;
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

Yes, I got a personal trainer that I know to customize an exercise plan and meal plan for me, even though she doesn't workout with me.
    I eat about 110 to 147 grams of protein daily, even on weekends when I don't workout. For the carbs I tend to eat 190 to 200 grams daily and 40 to 50 grams of fat. I usually make it to 1,490 to 1,630 calories, which isn't probably enough. Should I add in whey for extra calories and protein ? Thanks for your response !

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

• 500 calorie surplus

• Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

Yes, I got a personal trainer that I know to customize an exercise plan and meal plan for me, even though she doesn't workout with me.
    I eat about 110 to 147 grams of protein daily, even on weekends when I don't workout. For the carbs I tend to eat 190 to 200 grams daily and 40 to 50 grams of fat. I usually make it to 1,490 to 1,630 calories, which isn't probably enough. Should I add in whey for extra calories and protein ? Thanks for your response !

It sounds like you are getting plenty of protein. You just need more calories overall.
    You can get those out of any foods you like. Full fat milk, avocado, ice cream, cookies, nuts, etc.
    Fats could be a bit higer I think, but that should be easy enough.

Anyway, in regards to your earlier statement
    [ I'm not able to do certain exercises because of lack of strength. Should I still do them, but with smaller weights and work my way up?

I find it pretty bad that she gave you an exercise plan you can't complete.
    By not doing those exercises you are neglecting those muscles, so I totally recommend working your way up to them.
    Many exercises also have easier versions that work the same muscles but are a bit different. Just google to find alternatives.
    Examples would be dumbell versions for barbell exercises.

Good luck to you.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    If it's difficult for you to do, and you do it, you'll see results. Even if the results are only 'this is easier'.
  • loki9689
    loki9689 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid to start with low weights. You cant start climbing a ladder from the center, you have to work for the gains.
    It doesnt matter if you can only curl 2 lbs twice. Wait a bit and curl it two more times. A slow, steady gain of muscle is better than throwing 50lbs at your joints without them being able to take it.