Weights classes

Options
Hi, I have been doing a weights class 2x per week, I am 160lb 5ft 7, I hold all my weight around my middle, I've been told weights will shift it quicker than just cardio, I do 2 spinning classes a week too! MFP is saying 1350 cals per day, I just wanted any options as to wether this is enough or too much? I don't eat exercise earned calories
Thank you in advance for any help!

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Find your BMR, find your TDEE. Decide on your goals and eat calories accordingly. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will get rid of the weight regardless where it's located on your body is a calorie deficit. Weight training will help preserve muscle while you lose and help shape your body. Cardio will improve your health and burn calories. Eat the amount MFP gives you and eat back some of your exercise calories. The goal they give you includes no exercise at all and is given with the assumption you will eat them as you workout throughout the week. This gives you adequate energy to fuel your workouts and still keeps you in your deficit.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do spin and weight classes too! I've been doing them 5-6x (usually 6x) a week for over 3 months now, and I'm at my goal weight now. I lost about 13 lbs. So no, it doesn't sound like too much to me.
  • alfsmum02
    alfsmum02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    Find your BMR, find your TDEE. Decide on your goals and eat calories accordingly. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thank you for the link, according to this, the TDEE is maintaining? Im not very clued up when it comes to nutrition, I know the very basics! The TDEE on the link says 1389 calories, does this mean to lose fat I need to lower the calorie intake?
    Thanks in advance
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    The only thing that will get rid of the weight regardless where it's located on your body is a calorie deficit. Weight training will help preserve muscle while you lose and help shape your body. Cardio will improve your health and burn calories. Eat the amount MFP gives you and eat back some of your exercise calories. The goal they give you includes no exercise at all and is given with the assumption you will eat them as you workout throughout the week. This gives you adequate energy to fuel your workouts and still keeps you in your deficit.

Kami is right in that this is how MFP works, but if you prefer to work off TDEE and not eat back the calories (like me) then use the custom option to set your workouts as 1 calorie per week, set your goal calories per day as you want them using the calculator you were given (scoobys) and have at it. That's how I do it and it works fine.

1350 sounds low, so use the TDEE calculator. It gives you your BMR (basal metabolic rate i.e. what you need just to stay alive) the figure you need to stay the same weight (maintenance calories) then a figure to eat to lose weight, usually about 500 calories below your maintenance.
  • kami3006
    Options
    TDEE works great too as long as you're consistent with exercise. You're still eating your exercise calories, they're just already averaged out throughout your week.

To lose that weight, the primary focus should be on your calorie goals. I wish you the best. :)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the main issue is MFP can massively over-estimate exercise calories but take your pick which one works best for you :)
  • kami3006
    Options
    Yeah I don't use their numbers. After trial and error I was able to eat 75-100% back.
  • alfsmum02
    alfsmum02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you've all been really helpful ☺️