Does 20 minutes of cardio actually count??

Options
I've read that fat burning only starts to happen after about 30 minutes of cardio! So is it pointless to do 20 minutes? I can burn about 130 cals in 20 mins on an elliptical read by my heart rate monitor.

Replies

• clancysmum
    clancysmum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a professional, but any activity is better than no activity! If you can only get in 20 mins at a time, go for it.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    wow didn't know about the whole 30 mins for fat burning, gonna wait for someone to answer to this.

but every activity indeed it counts, don't get in the wagon of what is the point, and I may be mistaken and things might have change but the American Heart Asoc. recommend 120 mins of cardio/week and by doing those 20 mins you are hitting that target.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of cardio would be a nice thing for me to do for a little heart health, but the way I do cardio...It's not going to help me eat more with my stats.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you are in a caloric deficit, your body is pretty much always burning fat.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The 'fat burning zone' is a bit of a misnomer. The only time the body burns 100% fat is at rest which isn't very conducive for altering body composition. Fitness equipment manufacturers jumped on this and used it to sell their equipment making everybody believe that after 20 minutes the body switches from burning glycogen to pure fat for fuel.

Does 20 minutes count... Of course it does. You're not only exercising your cardiovascular system you're adding to your calorie deficit.
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Awesome ! Great! Thanks for the info :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Think you havent fully understood what youve read. Its the deficit that matters. It takes some time for the body to burn through its glycogen stores. Keep on exercising.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    HIIT training [High Intensity Interval Training] is typically 20 minutes because it's short bursts of all out followed by rest; thus taxing your body more than 60 minutes of steady cardio.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Anything more than nothing counts.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    wow didn't know about the whole 30 mins for fat burning, gonna wait for someone to answer to this.

but every activity indeed it counts, don't get in the wagon of what is the point, and I may be mistaken and things might have change but the American Heart Asoc. recommend 120 mins of cardio/week and by doing those 20 mins you are hitting that target.

The AHA recommends 150 minutes of moderate activity, or 75 minutes/week of intense activity, so it really depends on how hard it is for someone, and also what else they do in their life.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activity-in-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp
    FemmeAndi wrote: »
    I've read that fat burning only starts to happen after about 30 minutes of cardio! So is it pointless to do 20 minutes? I can burn about 130 cals in 20 mins on an elliptical read by my heart rate monitor.

I can't speak to the fat burning properties of cardio because I'm not an expert. I just know that burned calories are burned calories, so it all counts for me.

The American Heart Association says you can break the activity up into 15-20 minute intervals if need be for heart health. Now, if you're looking specifically to lower blood pressure, the article says 40 minutes of aerobic exercise is recommended.
    I started with 20 minutes and worked my way up to 40 minutes. Once I hit maintenance, I went back down to 20 minutes. I think it counts. :)

Thank you for the link ;)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I run 2.5 miles in 20 minutes usually... So pretty sure it counts lol.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    HIIT training [High Intensity Interval Training] is typically 20 minutes because it's short bursts of all out followed by rest; thus taxing your body more than 60 minutes of steady cardio.

This - do HIIT definitely for the most bang for your buck in 20 minutes.
  • johng2703
    johng2703 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cycle to work, normally 20-30 minutes, medium/high intensity. I burn calories and it DEFINITELY helps; Other point to make is exercise of any kind helps your mental state, makes you more alert and is beneficial to health in general, so in my view even 10 minutes is better than nothing, or walking up stairs rather than taking the lift! good luck !
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    FemmeAndi wrote: »

No it isn't pointless. Don't worry about the "fat burning" which takes place during exercise but rather the "calorie burning" which contributes to your calorie deficit. If you goal is to maximise your weight loss do the exercises you can handle which allow you to burn the most calories in the time you have available.

The idea that fat burning only occurs after 20 minutes isn't correct. It is true that in the early stages of exercise the proportion of carbohydrate used to fuel exercise is greater than fat and the longer the exercise goes on for at a suitable intensity (low to moderate) the proportion of fat to carbohydrate used is greater but it isn't worth worrying about.

Total calories burned is where it's at...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    OF COURSE IT COUNTS!
  • msf74
    Options

This may be correct for improving various aspects of fitness (particularly VO2 Max) but if calorie burn is a person's principal concern then 60 minutes of steady state cardio is going to be more effective generally.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that 'fat burning' is not that relevant unless you are an endurance athlete who needs to train your body to burn fat as fuel during events (for example, I am a marathon runner). If you are getting your energy mainly from carbs, that still counts as you will not be storing that energy as fat later on if you have already burnt it off.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

This may be correct for improving various aspects of fitness (particularly VO2 Max) but if calorie burn is a person's principal concern then 60 minutes of steady state cardio is going to be more effective generally.

60 minutes will burn more calories during the actual activity, but once you stop working out when doing steady state cardio then the calorie burn effectively ends. With HIIT you raise your metabolism creating an after-burn effect due to EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption), so overall in general HIIT will burn more total calories.
  • msf74
    Options
    DR2501 wrote: »

60 minutes will burn more calories during the actual activity, but once you stop working out when doing steady state cardio then the calorie burn effectively ends. With HIIT you raise your metabolism creating an after-burn effect due to EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption), so overall in general HIIT will burn more total calories.

It's been a while since I looked into the subject but as I recall steady state does also generate EPOC but the magnitude and duration are less than that of HIIT.

The following article crunches some numbers which factors in calorie burn + EPOC for both and you will note the conclusion:

EPOC

Don't get me wrong. I think HIIT is very useful in the right context but its benefits are routinely overstated.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    DR2501 wrote: »

err not really. Your total calorie burn will depend on your weight, intensity and duration. The calorie burn profiles of steady state v hit are different.

Hiit has the early advantage becayse you can be working harder for the short period i.e10-20 minutes of the workout. You get better VO2 max and better epoc, which lasts longer. However hit has disadvanatges you cna only do a certain amount before exhaustion and its much harder to recover from. You should look at the figures.

Steady state might not be as trendy as Hiit but you can do it for longer and its easier to recover from. It still has an epoc effect, but it trails off faster and the effect is lower.

I did a lo of research on this and came to the conlcusion that Hiit is useful for VO2 max and ok for a few times a week, but steady state is what will burn the consistent calories becayse you cna do more for longer without wiping yourself out. I do both. If you have minimal time at the gym but plenty of time to recover then hiits convenient.