Does 20 minutes of cardio actually count??

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if it didn't I'd be in big trouble-typically most of my cardio is right around 20 minutes LMAO
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Since the question was is 20 minutes enough, my points are accurate - 20 minutes of steady state cardio will not be as beneficial as 20 minutes of HIIT. We weren't discussing the general public here...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    DR2501 wrote: »
    Since the question was is 20 minutes enough, my points are accurate - 20 minutes of steady state cardio will not be as beneficial as 20 minutes of HIIT. We weren't discussing the general public here...
    Actually the question was whether 20 mins of cardio count amd not what type of cardio a person should be doing. You then started banging on about hiit, but it amounts to if you work harder for those 20 minutes then it will be beneficial. On that basis if you go flat out for 20 mins that would still be steady sate and because you have no rest you would burn more calories.

Anyway what msf74 said.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Here's what the CDC and WHO recommends.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Depends what you're trying to achieve. For me, 20 minutes of steady state running will be about 250 cals, 20 minutes of sprint intervals, about 100, given that would include a very abbreviated warm up. Personally I'd normally warm up for 15 minutes.

I'd allow say 12-15 extra cals for steady state EPOC, and about 10 for the HIIT EPOC. Whilst it's a slightly higher percentage the net effect is much smaller.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, you don't burn calories until you get to 21 minutes.
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    Options

No it isn't pointless. Don't worry about the "fat burning" which takes place during exercise but rather the "calorie burning" which contributes to your calorie deficit. If you goal is to maximise your weight loss do the exercises you can handle which allow you to burn the most calories in the time you have available.

The idea that fat burning only occurs after 20 minutes isn't correct. It is true that in the early stages of exercise the proportion of carbohydrate used to fuel exercise is greater than fat and the longer the exercise goes on for at a suitable intensity (low to moderate) the proportion of fat to carbohydrate used is greater but it isn't worth worrying about.

Total calories burned is where it's at... [/quote]

Ok! so that explains it! thanks! sometimes i read too much lol there`s a lot of information out there

• JoRocka
    Options

If you're doing 20 minutes of HIIT- you're probably breaching the boundaries of what is really HIIT.

Sprints is one of the few exceptions I would take to this- only because I know you can do an hour long sprint workout session- but it's got by nature built in breaks- they are sprints- and usually peppered with other drills.
    <getoutofmyheadcollegesoccerpractice>
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    FemmeAndi wrote: »

No it isn't pointless. Don't worry about the "fat burning" which takes place during exercise but rather the "calorie burning" which contributes to your calorie deficit. If you goal is to maximise your weight loss do the exercises you can handle which allow you to burn the most calories in the time you have available.

The idea that fat burning only occurs after 20 minutes isn't correct. It is true that in the early stages of exercise the proportion of carbohydrate used to fuel exercise is greater than fat and the longer the exercise goes on for at a suitable intensity (low to moderate) the proportion of fat to carbohydrate used is greater but it isn't worth worrying about.

Total calories burned is where it's at...

Ok! so that explains it! thanks! sometimes i read too much lol there`s a lot of information out there

[/quote]

75% of what you read is just opinion 10% are facts that are found because they kept searching until they got the results they wanted. 15% will get close to the same results every time.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    FemmeAndi wrote: »
    I've read that fat burning only starts to happen after about 30 minutes of cardio! So is it pointless to do 20 minutes? I can burn about 130 cals in 20 mins on an elliptical read by my heart rate monitor.

The 30 minutes is for cardiovascular health, not weight loss. All activity burns fat if you are eating at a deficit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    HIIT training [High Intensity Interval Training] is typically 20 minutes because it's short bursts of all out followed by rest; thus taxing your body more than 60 minutes of steady cardio.

More taxing, yes.

Burning more calories - no, AINEC.

What combination of the two is best will depend on the individual's primary goals.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

If you're doing 20 minutes of HIIT- you're probably breaching the boundaries of what is really HIIT.

Sprints is one of the few exceptions I would take to this- only because I know you can do an hour long sprint workout session- but it's got by nature built in breaks- they are sprints- and usually peppered with other drills.

No human can sprint for an hour.

If you're doing it for an hour, it's not sprinting.
  • jeffords
    jeffords Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not true.. I only did 20 mins each session for my bodybuilding program... That plus strict dieting burns the fat... I went from 20% bf to 5% for my competition and torn the stage up with all my cuts from only doing 20.. So not true
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

wow is your reading comprehension that bad?
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Everyone already answered, but to chime in with my experience: for the past couple years I've only been able to squeeze in a 20-25 minute run a few days a week, and I've lost over 30 lbs (combined with, of course, eating at a deficit). It also helps that I take a lot of short walk breaks...4 or 5 minutes several times a day. It ALL adds up!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    20 minutes counts, probably more for cardiovascular health, but it still counts. That being said, 20 min/day, 7 days/wk will get the job done.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

wow is your reading comprehension that bad?

Yes, yes it is.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My cardio (walking) is about 25 minutes, excluding warm-up and cool-down time. I certainly think it counts. I'm out exercising and increasing my heart rate. I'm using my muscles and I've noticed that I just feel better when I'm more active. I'm just not up to doing more cardio than that right now. My goal is to increase how long my sessions are but I didn't get out of shape in a few months so I'm not going to get fit in a few months either.
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    jeffords wrote: »
    Not true.. I only did 20 mins each session for my bodybuilding program... That plus strict dieting burns the fat... I went from 20% bf to 5% for my competition and torn the stage up with all my cuts from only doing 20.. So not true

nicceeee
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    anything is better than nothing.